• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Michigan Riders

Heh... Coldwater is about as far west of my house as beemerville is south of it... but any mile on a bike is a good mile. I can do that.

Whiplash said:
I have been thinking about the best route with the least problems.
And taking US 31 down to Muskegon has crossed my mind. Maybe cutting over to Grand Rapids and meeting others, then taking US 131 down to IN.

As we get closer to the date, you might want to check construction on 131. It is currently down to one lane at 28th street south of GR, causing bad backups (for GR anyway). I'll try to remember to update you as the departure date approaches.

Don
south of GR

Us 131

I'll try to remember to update you as the departure date approaches.

Don
south of GR

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Fuel Prices

einnar said:
Heh... Coldwater is about as far west of my house as beemerville is south of it... but any mile on a bike is a good mile. I can do that.

You shouldn't go out of your way to far with fuel prices today.

SW Michigan here...

I live mid point of Kalamazoo & Indiana border on US131 (@ M-216). I'll be leaving Wed mid A.M. to volunteer & setup (gotta trailer 2 toys).
US131 @ 28th in GR is good for a mile+ backup (all the way to downtown). May I suggest the beltline around the east side or the new M-6 on the west. Get south of the city and take 44th/52nd/68th/76th to Division then down to D Avenue just north of Kalamazoo, my choice if not in a hurry. Also, there're several fun state/county road paths to Ft Wayne, then pickup US30 across to Lima. I'll be on expressway as stated above. See you folks there <<<)))

Whiplash said:
You shouldn't go out of your way to far with fuel prices today.

Considering I'd planned on a 2200 mile round trip to get to the rally, this is cheap. Tell me where you're going to meet, and I'm sure I can afford it. ;)

Hey guys, I'm a Battle Creek, Michigan transplant living here in FL. I'm planning to take some vacation time and visit Battle Creek. Then heading down to the rally. Anyone from that area heading down? Love to have a partner to ride down with.
Larry :thumb

Wednesday

I'm still have to work Wednesday.
Looks like there will be two convoy's heading South. :clap

Leaving Thursday?

Hey Manistee.
If you are still leaving Thursday, let me know. I am in Lowell (by Grand Rapids) and will be heading down Thursday.

Gr

scout7 said:
Hey Manistee.
If you are still leaving Thursday, let me know. I am in Lowell (by Grand Rapids) and will be heading down Thursday.

Where is there a good place to meet south of Grand Rapids? :dunno
I'm heading South, Thursday morning around 6:00 AM and GR would be my first fuelstop. Riders around Muskegon and Grand Rapids could meet and trail from there down to Coldwater to meet others. :brow

Grand Rapids Locations

Thanks for getting back.
Unfortunately, I will not be leaving till afternoon. My husband is heading down to grab some camping space on Wednesday (working at the oil change booth). Give me a call at 616-897-0092 if you will be leaving later.
Susan Stevens.

Ludington

I am leaving Ludington early Thursday morning, but not as early as 6 a.m. Would like to meet up with others along the way.

David Jackson
231-510-9219 (cell)

Whiplash said:
Where is there a good place to meet south of Grand Rapids? :dunno
:brow

It depends on what you want. Someplace that you can get gas that is easy on-easy off, or do you want food? If you've decided to take 131 south of GR, then exit 76 (68th street) has food and gas (EAT HERE, GET GAS), and it is immediately south of the intersection of 131 and the new south beltline (M-6, also called the Paul Henry). If you don't need food, there is a truck stop and a Meijer C-stop at the next exit south (76th street, EXIT 75) which is an easier on-off. I still recommend avoiding the stretch of 131 between downtown and 28th street, as I think they are still working on the overpass, which means construction equipment and lane closures. If you are coming down US31, and want to avoid downtown altogether, from I96 you could try M11 (Wilson Ave) south to I-196 West, to the M-6 bypass.
If you don't care about staying on the interstate, stay on US31 through Holland and take M40 to Allegan, then M89 to 131 at Plainwell/Otsego. You can stay on M89 all the way to Battle Creek, or jump on 131. M40/M89 are generally well-maintained two-lane highways and are a pleasant ride, but attention to your speed is advisable. If you look at a map, you can see that they generally cut the corner from Holland to BC. The only real busy section of these two roads, before you get to BC, is M89 west of 131, which is a big retail strip with all the usual fast food and Meijer/Walmart.
If you are taking 131 to head east on I-94, I don't know of any major tie-ups before you get to I-69. There is some construction on 131 south of I-94; I can check on that if you're interested.
I won't be able to join you on the ride down, as I'll be leaving from work in Kalamazoo on Thursday afternoon.
See you in Lima!
Don Wallace

West Michigan said:
I am leaving Ludington early Thursday morning, but not as early as 6 a.m. Would like to meet up with others along the way.

David Jackson
231-510-9219 (cell)

Well, maybe I don't have to leave that early, but....
I figure it will take 7 hours (lunch/fuel/construction) to get to Beemerville and leaving at 6 or 7 AM would put us there in the afternoon. Plenty of time for set-up camp and after that it's party time. ;)

scout7 said:
Thanks for getting back.
Unfortunately, I will not be leaving till afternoon. My husband is heading down to grab some camping space on Wednesday (working at the oil change booth). Give me a call at 616-897-0092 if you will be leaving later.
Susan Stevens.

I don't want to leave too late. Looks like DJW and you will be riding together.
Also looks like some riders (including me) will be stopping in Coldwater, MI for some other riders to team up. Never know and we might all meet there.

djw said:
It depends on what you want. I won't be able to join you on the ride down, as I'll be leaving from work in Kalamazoo on Thursday afternoon.
See you in Lima!
Don Wallace

Thanks Don.
I know there is a truck stop south on US 131 towards Byron Center. That might be a good place.
Too bad you can't join. Have a safe ride.

Meet

West Michigan said:

David Jackson
231-510-9219 (cell)

Mr. Jackson,
When do you intend to leave? Let me know.
Takes me a good 30 Minutes to get to Ludington.
231 510-1313 (cell)

Coldwater 11:00 AM at a Fuel station. Is that a good time?
Not sure how big Coldwater is actually.

Leaving Ludington

Whiplash said:
Mr. Jackson,
When do you intend to leave? Let me know.
Takes me a good 30 Minutes to get to Ludington.
231 510-1313 (cell)

We'll probably leave Ludington between 8 and 9. My wife is not an early riser. The bike will be packed Wednesday night, so we'll be ready to dress and leave right away Thursday. If you'd like to ride together, we could meet somewhere on U.S. 10 and head out -- Big Boy, Shell Station, Taco Bell. Is 8:30 a.m. too late for you? My cell phone is 231-510-9219.

Back