• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

shipping a bike from Portland to Hawaii

K1600_gtl

I might be taking a job in Hawaii and want to ship my bike. I got a jaw dropping price from one place for $1400+ and it would take 4-5 weeks... There has to be something more reasonable, right? I mean I got $1000 quotes for moving a 4000lb car... :banghead

Anyone got some info on how to make this less painful?

I realize they don't have a port near you but FWIW I used Pasha Hawaii when I purchased my bike from BMW Motorcycles of Escondido back in May. I paid just over $600 from port to port (San Diego to Honolulu).

The web site indicates "residence pickup" but I am not sure what that means. Either way, it is worth a look. I would use this company again in a heartbeat. They have great service, excellent and timely communication and only move the bike with a fork lift (bike is secured to a skid)...no riding or otherwise messing around with it.

Check them out.

http://www.pashahawaii.com/default.aspx

Where is the job?

I realize they don't have a port near you but FWIW I used Pasha Hawaii when I purchased my bike from BMW Motorcycles of Escondido back in May. I paid just over $600 from port to port (San Diego to Honolulu).

The web site indicates "residence pickup" but I am not sure what that means. Either way, it is worth a look. I would use this company again in a heartbeat. They have great service, excellent and timely communication and only move the bike with a fork lift (bike is secured to a skid)...no riding or otherwise messing around with it.

Check them out.

http://www.pashahawaii.com/default.aspx

Where is the job?

I'll have to live in the HNL area also... I'm trying to figure out if it's bet to just buy a cheap used car first, or bring my bike over right away.. Seems that nothing ships from Portland or nearby which makes it very expensive to ship it.

BTW, how are you liking the riding weather and such there? Does it get slippery and wet a lot with the short rains?

Honolulu is the most densely populated area in the USA by a large margin. In my time there I found the traffic horrendous and the riding options very limited. There are some decent roads but the island can be done in a weekend. It may be a tropical paradise, but it is not a motorcycling paradise in my opinion.

Honolulu is the most densely populated area in the USA by a large margin. In my time there I found the traffic horrendous and the riding options very limited. There are some decent roads but the island can be done in a weekend. It may be a tropical paradise, but it is not a motorcycling paradise in my opinion.

While there last week for my interview, I rented a Triumph Bonaville and rode around all day... it wasn't that bad at all traffic wise... certainly not anywhere near as bad as Portland, LA, San Francisco or Atlanta among the places I've lived...

I understand commute hours can be bad, but even then it's not any worse than the above mentioned places.. I'm more concerned with weather and the continuous light rains and such..

While there last week for my interview, I rented a Triumph Bonaville and rode around all day... it wasn't that bad at all traffic wise... certainly not anywhere near as bad as Portland, LA, San Francisco or Atlanta among the places I've lived...

I understand commute hours can be bad, but even then it's not any worse than the above mentioned places.. I'm more concerned with weather and the continuous light rains and such..

Now knowing you will be on Oahu and you are a pilot that would mean you would likely be working somewhere near the Honolulu International Airport/Lagoon Drive. If you live anywhere near that: Pearl City, Aiea, Salt Lake, Halawa Heights, Honolulu, Alewa, Kaneohe, Kailua and perhaps a few other areas the traffic would not be bad.

As far as the riding climate, it can rain often during the rainy season. This is typically during the late fall through winter months. I am not saying it rains the entire time, these months are mostly mild but majority of the rain occurs then. The rest of the year there are common Windward and Mauka (mountain) showers that are typically light enough to not cause major problems. As with most locales, easy does it until the rain has been coming down a bit and avoid the usual incident suspects. I love riding here and have for the 17 years that I lived here on Oahu. Sure, it is an island but as I said before in other threads it is all about perspective. If you enjoy being outdoors in beautiful places and have a true passion for motorcycles...you will likely enjoy your riding here, especially on your RR.

I am not sure how long you would be without a cage if you were to ship your bike but if you lived in either of the areas I mentioned above, the BMW Rain Lock 2 suit or similar breathable rain gear should be fine to get you through. It would be nice to have a cage for those occasional ominous days though.

If you would like to talk more, send me a PM and I will give you my cell number.

Aloha.

Scot

Back