• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any one try sea foam?

Xtriggerman

A friend of mine tryed some of this stuff in his old Triumph and thought it made a difference cleaning out the carbs. My 03 F650 sat for 6 years and got a total of 400 miles riden in that time. Now it runs OK since I just bought it but I find that when its hot, and I go to start it up, alot of the times it will give me a pop back up through the carb just befor it starts up. And thats with a new iridium NGK in place. Any thoughts?

I put it in everything I got. Motorcycle. Mower. Tractor. Gas. Diesel. Especially if it's going to be sitting for a while-like all winter and you don't drain it. My motorcycle mechanic says no other brand compares to it.

Don't have a clue why/if it would affect your motor that way.

:usa

I put it in everything I got. Motorcycle. Mower. Tractor. Gas. Diesel. Especially if it's going to be sitting for a while-like all winter and you don't drain it. My motorcycle mechanic says no other brand compares to it.

Don't have a clue why/if it would affect your motor that way.

:usa

Thats good to hear. I think I wasnt clear in my post. I just bought the BMW 2 weeks ago and was thinking maybe the sea foam might help the fuel delivery since it does the pop at start up time to time. The bike has 3200 miles on it but like I said, The woman that owned it since 06 only put 400 miles on it in those 6 years prior to my purchase of the bike.
Iv read some good things about sea foam but knowing it will work well at cleaning these fuel injected bikes would make me feel better buying the stuff.

A while ago I bought a 01 Dakar that had been sitting for 3 or 4 years. Gas as well as old really black oil had been left in the entire time. When I bought it, it wouldn't start. I blamed the old fuel...
I took it home, drained the fuel and cold old oil. Replaced with fresh and added Seafoam to both by Seafoam can directions. The bike started and ran like crap for 50 miles. I kept going to 100 miles (non stop). Got home and drained and replace the 100 miles old oil (it was dark already) and topped the tank with fresh fuel and filled the engine with fresh oil.
I never did anything else and the bike has ran great since.
I didn't know about Seafoam before using it on the Dakar. I had read about it on this and other forums. Watched YouTube videos...
I decided I had not much to loose since the bike was not running. I gave it a try and it made me a believer.
It was an easy and cheap fix to a big problem.
I would do it if I were you. Can't really hurt.
Good luck,

Thanks for that experiance. Seems there is nothing but good stories out there on sea foam. Im going to try it out asap.

I had a Harley that fouled plugs constantly. Nothing worked. Then someone suggested sea foam. Problem solved. I run it in everything, primarily as a stabilizer during winter.

I bought a '78 Honda several months ago. Previous owner only put 100 miles on it in the past two years and it sat unused for a year. When I started it, it hesitated badly and I would only get half throttle out of it before it bogged down. About 35 MPH top speed.
Seafoam into the gas tank with fresh gas, a few ounces into freshly changed oil, and I used the Seafoam with the spray attachment directly into the carbs. After that treatment and 1 tank of gas, the problem was solved 95%. Further use in the gas tank cleared it up completely. Problem fixed, no tank disassembly, no carb disassembly, no engine work.

I think there was a thread on Seafoam not so long ago.
I have used it for many years in everything from my lawnmower to bikes and cars.I use half a can prior to oil changes in my cars.

Xtriggerman, the search function is your buddy. Here are just a few of the threads about Seafoam.

Best to run the stuff just before changing the oil. Maybe a few hundered miles or so. If it works it can put bad stuff in the oil.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=62942&highlight=seafoam

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=58394&highlight=seafoam

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=60425&highlight=seafoam

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=53683&highlight=seafoam

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=44328&highlight=seafoam

Gez, I guess it has been mentioned a time or two here! thanks for the read, i'll be sure to search next time.

Today I tryed some in a 07 China 200 dirt bike I have. The bike ran real bad with breaking up but would start n idle fine. I cleaned the carb and jets twice with small effect. I dumped a fair amount into the tank and man it ran much worse! back fireing and very ruff up at revs. I just kept guning it out to top revs as best as it would go and after about 3 minutes, the bike cleared up and began running smooth. The bike runs like new now! Hard to believe but it does work. The F650 will get a measured dose next.
Thanks to all who commented. :thumb

Back