Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A Bit Of An Insult

Merc?

Quote Originally Posted by 42906 View Post
    Considering the miserable reliability of modern Mercs, it's a valid question. I wouldn't own a modern Mercedes Benz if you gave it to me. Ditto all the current crop of German cars.

Anyone who has ever had a job that required them to use SAP knows you never let a German write software. Nein, is verbotten! BMW's CAN-Bus is testamony to this truism, but Mercedes and Audi likewise have horrible electrics, compounded by the utter lack of an oil dipstick in Mercedes Benz products. Too many toasted engines because the low oil light you are forced to rely on doesn't come on in time to save the engine and there is no way to really know if you are down half a liter, a full liter or maybe more without draining the oil and measuring how much comes out. Kludge.

Just what the hell is a "Merc", should I assume you mean a Mercury automobile, a Mercedes Benz automobile or a Mercury outboard engine or the mercury in your thermometer??? Or perhaps you speak a new language?
    Gene T

Considering the miserable reliability of modern Mercs, it's a valid question. I wouldn't own a modern Mercedes Benz if you gave it to me. Ditto all the current crop of German cars.
    And that my leetle friend, is why God made Chebbys.

Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Just what the hell is a "Merc", should I assume you mean a Mercury automobile, a Mercedes Benz automobile or a Mercury outboard engine or the mercury in your thermometer??? Or perhaps you speak a new language?
    In England, all of my relatives call Mercedes Benzs "Mercs".
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    "Merc" = Mercedes Benz. Ok?
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
    And that my leetle friend, is why God made Chebbys.

Ken
    I have a couple of nice analog Audis that will fill my automotive needs for a couple of decades, perhaps more. They are right at that cusp where Audi went toe to toe with Mercedes, but pre-date the ridiculous electonic crapola that burdens modern German cars.
    Like I said, anyone whos job forces them to use SAP knows that you never, ever, let a German write software. Nein! Ist verbotten.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

I have a couple of nice analog Audis that will fill my automotive needs for a couple of decades, perhaps more. They are right at that cusp where Audi went toe to toe with Mercedes, but pre-date the ridiculous electonic crapola that burdens modern German cars.
    Like I said, anyone whos job forces them to use SAP knows that you never, ever, let a German write software. Nein! Ist verbotten.
    Well I wouldn't limit "electronic crapola" to modern German cars. They all suffer from this to one extent or the other. Certainly a high end European car would have more gizmos and farkles than say a Chevy Aveo, but the inverse would be true, say comparing a Caddy SVT to a VW Jetta.

In regards to the last sentence; "RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN", lol.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

I paid for a new digital controller for my Frigidare freezer yesterday.It is to the day, 2 yrs old. The old one is in a pizza restaurant a few miles down the road from me working away like always. The new one will not run w/o the gizmo/digital keypad controller. Cars , pretty much all modern cars(and bikes of course) have the same crap -it's a losing discussion. Basically, if it goes zoom, you either go pre 1980's or you go newer...