Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Bit Of An Insult

A Bit Of An Insult

In view of two things I use my R1200RT for errands as well as just riding and the cost of gasoline enters into this as well.

Today when I was returning from the drug store to my bike this guy in a small Japanese hybrid car pulls in beside me and asks me if that is an over sized scooter?

"Excuse me?"

Then he says it can't be a full sized motorcycle, " I replied, perhaps not it will only go 160 MPH, by the way, is that roller skate you are riding in pregnant?"

End of conversation................
    Gene T

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    In view of two things I use my R1200RT for errands as well as just riding and the cost of gasoline enters into this as well.

Today when I was returning from the drug store to my bike this guy in a small Japanese hybrid car pulls in beside me and asks me if that is an over sized scooter?

"Excuse me?"

Then he says it can't be a full sized motorcycle, " I replied, perhaps not it will only go 160 MPH, by the way, is that roller skate you are riding in pregnant?"

Awesome come back!!

Not sure about the validity of "160 MPH" on an RT - maybe downhill with a tailwind, but then I've been to south Florida - you have no hills - though Isaac may carve out some for you.

Be safe in the coming days!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Morning Person

"Excuse me?"

There's the story of a Cessna pilot waiting for clearance to enter the runway for takeoff. Tower had him hold while an MD-80 landed and taxied down the runway. As the MD-80 passed the Cessna at the hold intersection, the MD-80 captain said, over the radio, "That's a cute little airplane", about the Cessna. The Cessna pilot (what a quick wit) came back on the radio immediately, and said: "Yeah, and a few more landings like the one you just made, and I'll have enough parts to build another one!"

Hard to be "insulted" by the ignorant.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Long Range Rifleman
    Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Hard to be "insulted" by the ignorant.

It's possible he thought you were on a Maxi scooter. To me the style of the R1200RT is similar to some of the Maxi Scooters.
    Maybe the guy was interested in the new BMW scooter and wanted to talk to you about it.

What's the rear wheel HP of the R1200RT? 100HP?? If it's around 100, I have a hard time believing 100HP can push that big fairing through the air more than 140 MPH.
    Anyone know the top speed, my guess is 130 or 135?
    Last edited by Lee; 08-27-2012 at 01:21 AM.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Think you are pretty close.

Cut the "hybrid guy" some slack. There are lots of people out there that really don't know the kind of stuff such as a big scoot from a RT. Personally, I'd rather make fun of his Prius than talk scoots.

What's the rear wheel HP of the R1200RT? 100HP?? If it's around 100, I have a hard time believing 100HP can push that big fairing through the air more than 140 MPH.
    Upper 120s mph, at least in my hands, on GPS. Maybe 127, give or take.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

http://www.rd400racer.com rd400racer's Avatar
    Don't feel bad.......when I rode my R1100RS over to band practice for the first time a couple of months ago they told me I was crazy to sell my CBR900RR to buy it and THEN they said it looked like a big scooter!

Half of them ride cruisers so I don't take their opinion too seriously (but at least they ALL ride).
    http://www.rd400racer.com/

2001 Ducati Monster; 1996 R1100GS; 1985 RZ350; 1977 RD400

Nickname: Droid
    Had a guy at a Subway recently ask me "why a BMW versus a Harley?"

Standing next to my high miles 94 R1100RS, I said, "well, its quicker, faster, more quiet, can carry more weight, handles better, rides better, brakes better, gets comparable mileage fuel wise, costs less to maintain, and I have not had reason to do anything internally to the engine in 170,000 miles."

He seemed to understand the rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    Had a guy at a Subway recently ask me "why a BMW versus a Harley?"
    Why a Mercedes versus a Chevy?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Why a Mercedes versus a Chevy?
    Considering the miserable reliability of modern Mercs, it's a valid question. I wouldn't own a modern Mercedes Benz if you gave it to me. Ditto all the current crop of German cars.

Anyone who has ever had a job that required them to use SAP knows you never let a German write software. Nein, is verbotten! BMW's CAN-Bus is testamony to this truism, but Mercedes and Audi likewise have horrible electrics, compounded by the utter lack of an oil dipstick in Mercedes Benz products. Too many toasted engines because the low oil light you are forced to rely on doesn't come on in time to save the engine and there is no way to really know if you are down half a liter, a full liter or maybe more without draining the oil and measuring how much comes out. Kludge.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

It's possible he thought you were on a Maxi scooter. To me the style of the R1200RT is similar to some of the Maxi Scooters.
    Maybe the guy was interested in the new BMW scooter and wanted to talk to you about it.

I manage 150 mph give or take a couple on any given day on 72 rwhp on a nicely built old K-100RS. I have to tuck way in and it takes a few miles to get there but it does. My Street Rod with XR-1200 wheels, which necessitated some innovation with pulleys and belt selection, will nail the rev limiter at 153 mph with 98 rwhp, and that thing is anything but svelt. 650 lbs plus my weight trying to get small behind a handlebar mounted windshield, but it'll bang the rev limiter in the big hole out on my secret high desert proving grounds.
    Unless gearing limits the speed, I'd give a good running R-1200RT credit for 145 -150 with cold dry air and enough room to run.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

I had a airline employee the other day ask if my bike was a Harley. I told them it was a BMW and told him which model it was. He told me he thought it was a Harley. I asked him if I should get some Harley emblems and put it on my bike in which his response was no.
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.