• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Brand new guy - to you and to motorcycling

Zeke013

Hey all - I am a 43-year old late bloomer.

Took an MSF equivalent course last summer and bought a Honda Rebel over the winter. Sold, or more accurately selling, it tomorrow when I trade it in for my '12 R1200GS.

:groovy

Just registered and joined here today.

Stoked!

WOW! Welcome to the Club. I hope you didn't take too big of a first step jumping into the 1200. You better bring over to my house so I can ride it for you. We don't want you to get hurt riding such a fine bike so soon.

Just kidding of course. Congratulations on your decision to begin riding and welcome to the world of BMW's. I hope you enjoy your new bike and the folks on this site. Make sure to look around to see if there is a MOA charter club near you. And finally, set a goal to ride that beast next year to the national rally in Salem, Oregon.

WOW! Welcome to the Club. I hope you didn't take too big of a first step jumping into the 1200. You better bring over to my house so I can ride it for you. We don't want you to get hurt riding such a fine bike so soon.

Just kidding of course. Congratulations on your decision to begin riding and welcome to the world of BMW's. I hope you enjoy your new bike and the folks on this site. Make sure to look around to see if there is a MOA charter club near you. And finally, set a goal to ride that beast next year to the national rally in Salem, Oregon.

Ha! I like that!

I actually didn't know that the national rally was in Salem. I am in Portland! I could walk down for the rally - almost.

I will be there.

Congratulations! My first bike was the venerable Honda CM250 and I'm currently riding the R1200 GS. You're going to love the GS. Just don't be too sad the first time it tips over. It's best to mentally prepare now. It's the motorcycle equivalent of a lollipop balancing on its stick or a buffalo riding a ten speed bicycle. Honestly, you're going to love it.

Congratulations! My first bike was the venerable Honda CM250 and I'm currently riding the R1200 GS. You're going to love the GS. Just don't be too sad the first time it tips over. It's best to mentally prepare now. It's the motorcycle equivalent of a lollipop balancing on its stick or a buffalo riding a ten speed bicycle. Honestly, you're going to love it.

A buffalo on a bicycle. Wager I will never forget that one!

Well, get as much training as possible. There are 1000 or more things to learn about, and it's always better to study the issue first, and then know how to deal with it when you see it coming, rather than just getting whacked by it, and then learning for the future how to recognize and avoid it.
Sand, tar snakes, rocks, obstacles, lane cutters, etc. Ok, a lot more than 1000.
dc

New rider

Motorcycling is fun and challenging. My new R1200GSA is challenging me!
Now for the positively negatives.
Assume everyone on the road is trying to hurt you or kill you and you will be all right.
"Watch out for motorcycle" bumper stickers are great but people crash into fire trucks, buildings and other highly visible stuff so consider yourself invisible. At the scene of an accident "they" will always say "I didn't see the motorcyclist".
It's a great sport and past time and for some it is their sole means of transportation but you have to stay alive and conserve your body parts to enjoy it.
Sorry for the negatives but they should be foremost on your mind when you are interacting with public roadways.
Robb

Welcome, Zeke!

If you decide to venture off road, there are several training options available. For the lower cost options, consider catching up with the GS Giants. There is always someone willing to offer advice and assistance.

Look for an announcement soon regarding our new website and forum.

Welcome, Zeke!

If you decide to venture off road, there are several training options available. For the lower cost options, consider catching up with the GS Giants. There is always someone willing to offer advice and assistance.

Look for an announcement soon regarding our new website and forum.

Will do - thanks!

Dave Hough's books have saved me learning from "The School of Hard Knocks" (pun intended). I highly recommend his writings.

Welcome to the Club and the World of Motorcycling! :thumb

Dave Hough's books have saved me learning from "The School of Hard Knocks" (pun intended). I highly recommend his writings.

Welcome to the Club and the World of Motorcycling! :thumb

I second both of those thoughts! Dave has a way of writing (and speaking) such that it's very easy to comprehend and remember. I've read both "Proficient Motorcycling" and "Proficient Motorcycling II". Easy reads, and well worth the time.

I second both of those thoughts! Dave has a way of writing (and speaking) such that it's very easy to comprehend and remember. I've read both "Proficient Motorcycling" and "Proficient Motorcycling II". Easy reads, and well worth the time.

+1! Great books and well worth reading, especially for new riders. Take the time to read at least the first one, "Proficient Motorcycling". Your transition from what is essentially a training bike to a 1200GS is a HUGE leap. Hopefully you put a lot of miles on your Rebel in the first year. Take the time to get to know your GS in a rider-friendly environment. Congratulations on your new GS and Ride Safe!

Training off-highway motorcycle

Hey all - I am a 43-year old late bloomer.

Took an MSF equivalent course last summer and bought a Honda Rebel over the winter. Sold, or more accurately selling, it tomorrow when I trade it in for my '12 R1200GS.

:groovy

Just registered and joined here today.

Stoked!
IRide the biggest thinking to happen to off-highway motorcycle dirt riding since dirt bikes.

Pre-order iRide from Xplor Online Store at www.xplor-int.com Or call it in at 610-470-8897 starting at 8:00 a.m. on September 21, 2012 we have classes every other weekend.
Introducing IRIDE beginner rider work-shop for any size displacement adventure bikes (Like; Triumph Tiger 800XC, BMW R1200 GS, KTM 990 Adventure, Ducati Multistrada S1200, V-Strom DL650 or dirt bikes) . After completing our IRIDE (CRE) and (IATR) classes you put your skills to work.

Experience the beautiful back roads of the western Pennsylvania on a guided two-day Adventure Ride. The tour begins at National Park, with a skills clinic preparing the riders for their challenging IRIDE ahead.

Over the course of two-days, riders will explore parts of various National Forests in the area. The IRIDE will be a true dual sport ride continually moving from twisty paved roads to a combination of gravel, dirt and bedrock roads.

Instructors will cover on and off road skills and pertinent topics in the clinic as well as at various points along the journey.

The Two-Day IRIDE Tour is for beginners. Riders need to be comfortable riding at the speed limit on public roads. A large portion of the IRIDE Tour is off road. The primary off road surface will be packed gravel (forest service roads). There will be opportunities along the way for more skilled riders to challenge their abilities on a bit more aggressive terrain. Riders should be prepared to ride 60-120 miles a day on mixed surfaces.

Xplor is a motorcycle Safety Foundation Retail Operated Training Center.

Back