Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: IBMWR Scamming

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I find that laughable! I spent a lot of time filling out USPS forms & furnishing copies of all documentation on my bad guy to include is authentic name,phone number and physical address, postal money order carbon,you name it , I had it. I got nothing, as in zero response and I was trying real hard to get some action , believe me! Full swat was more like full joke in my case.
    Actually, when you think about it, the USPS is a joke.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

A little more info with regard to "the police just don't give a ****."

Did you contact them? What did they tell you?

They said they would look into it time permitting,no response to e-mails from me etc,etc.

The heck with emails. Call them on the phone and put them on the spot, but nicely.... "Hi detective Johnson, this is Spike. I was wondering if you had an opportunity to look into the fraud that I was a victim of?" Several of those and then a call to his superior, also dripping with niceness...

Uh...Detective Johnson? That department is so small they don't have detectives... They do now have a new "interim chief" after the last chief resigned because of alledged fraudulent activity. That department has fewer than 25 officers, no webcrime unit, no detective squad, etc, etc. They'll take a report, but doubt they'll put much time into solving this crime.

I'm just sayin'...
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by SPIKESBIKE View Post
    Ted Verrill did an awsome job for me. The police dont give a **** and the seller just laughed at me.So i have learned my lesson.Its scumbags like this that ruin it for everybody else.
    It's not a matter of not giving a s***, it's not being able to do s***.

Lets say the police have the address that you sent the money to. They knock on the door. "Did you sell carburetors to some one on the internet?" "No" "Do you have a computer?" " Yes" "Can we see it?" "No" "Are you the only one who uses the computer?" "No, lots of people use it" "Did you receive a money order in the mail from Mr Smith?" "No, but I think I had alot of mail stolen recently, I figured it was just bills so I didnt report it"

Case closed, no new leads, no identifiable suspects. Sucks, but thats the way it is.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    It's not a matter of not giving a s***, it's not being able to do s***.

Lets say the police have the address that you sent the money to. They knock on the door. "Did you sell carburetors to some one on the internet?" "No" "Do you have a computer?" " Yes" "Can we see it?" "No" "Are you the only one who uses the computer?" "No, lots of people use it" "Did you receive a money order in the mail from Mr Smith?" "No, but I think I had alot of mail stolen recently, I figured it was just bills so I didnt report it"

Case closed, no new leads, no identifiable suspects. Sucks, but thats the way it is.
    IF the police care, have the time, and it fits their SOPs on what and how to investigate a long distance complaint....

If the scammer's not that smart it could also go the way my case went that I posted previously. Cop could say to him: "Do you really want us to forward this to the Feds? You know you could do 10 years for mail fraud, right? Or maybe you have $20,000 set aside for legal fees. Is this guy's $280 worth all that risk? " Kind of like, "Do you feel lucky, punk?" He might just write a refund check on the spot if he has more dirty dealings he doesn't want found out.

Even if he does have all the snappy answers like you posted, he's still gotta have it in the back of his mind that he's now on the law's radar, and the cops might now keep a closer look at him. Maybe he's not just doing small-change internet rip offs. Maybe he's branched out into other things that could get him arrested. He just might be convinced to do the right thing. The cops also have to be savvy enough to get a veiled threat across to him without getting themselves in trouble for being too overt. It's an art that some of us have!

Hey Classic, I agree 100%, you gotta follow up on every one you get, and sometimes you do get lucky and run across the 'dull tool in the shed' , and when that happens, it makes the day a little better for every one!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

I work for the USPS. Take your copy of the money order to the Post Office and see when the money order was cashed. Then go to your local law enforcement office. Mail fraud is a big deal. And they do prosecute.....