• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trade an R for a K?

I switched from a 2011 gs to a 2010 gt

I am very happy with the changed.
I love the GT, is a great bike in all senses!
Ride safe
Damian

I had an '05 RT. Traded it in '10 for a KGT. Although I liked the RT, I am very happy with th KGT. It weighs around 50 lb more, gets a bit less fuel economy, has a front seat that's no more comfortable (mine has a Sargent now - MUCH better) BUT it outhandles, outstops (no pump), is smoother, transmits fewer road irregularities, and has incredible acceleration even two up. When you unleash it, you better have a firm grip!!

You will not be disappointed!:dance

After 4 boxers (all Gs model) I got a kGt2010 and after 3500 I never looked back. I loved the K, it is addicting!!

Only one way to not make the wrong decision

Don't sell the RT until after you get a GT. Then get rid of the one that doesn't suit you which may be tough. If I lived somewhere with flat straight roads, I would lean toward the GT because that is where the fun is on that bike. Twisting the throttle on big sweepers. Tight twisties, then the lightness and manueverability of the RT makes it more fun. GT is definitely heavier and slightly less comfortable for me (after a seat upgrade). They are both fun.
You can adjust the RT valves in 15 minutes but have to do major surgery on the GT. The computer decides when the valves need to be adjusted on the GT. If you don't ride like a teenager, the GT mileage is comparable to the RT, maybe 3 mpg difference.

If you can't afford to overlap the two bikes, just google "cam chain tensioner" on the GT and you'll find plenty of reasons not to buy one if that is your tendency.

Do not get scared by the cam chain , because a few have some problems it does not mean all of them will have it.
For fun the GT is superb there is not comparison with other bikes and just keep in mind GT: Sport Tourer, RT:Tourer.
If lighter and slower is a plus for you, there is no need to spend $19K+ on a RT there other options out there which will the do the work well, just to name one:Moto Guzzi for instance is one of the trustable brands.-

My 02.

Safe Riding

Damian

Been an RT type of guy for a long time but recently I rode a friend's K1200GT. Really liked it. It's a different kind of ride.

But it was too much like my RT in function so a few weeks ago I purchased a slightly used 2008 K1200S. I'm keeping the RT for serious touring and using the KS for shorter fun rides.

tsp
My Blog: http://www.airheadmoto.com

Makes sense.
I use a K-RS for similar purpose.
Also own a wedge GT and R1200RT that though different have the same function. FWIW, I prefer the R for longer tours.

I like the "feel" and lower-end torque of a twin, so most of my BMWs have been boxers;
But I've also owned two bricks and ridden some friends' bikes for distances long enough to understand the differences.
While my K100LT was one handling pig, all the rest handled just as easily - or easier - than my twins. We get to put our bikes through their paces around here, and I've surprised a few owners with what their bikes could do.
It's all just personal preference, and a perhaps tough choice, just depends on whatcha want/need...

If you can't afford to overlap the two bikes, just google "cam chain tensioner" on the GT and you'll find plenty of reasons not to buy one if that is your tendency.

I replaced the left-side cam chain tensioner on my '03 RT, as recommended by an expert mechanic. So RT's, at least the older ones, have a cam chain tensioner issue. Personally, I thought BMW NA should have stepped up to the plate and offered to do that under a campaign. No such luck, but it wasn't that hard to do.

Harry

Back