• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Too tall or too short - my dilemma

Only being able to get your toes on the ground on flat pavement may be just fine for riders with strong legs who are are also skilled enough to put their RIGHT foot down when that is the high side on a slope and never lean their bike to the right when they intended to lean it left at at stop.

I believe those of us with weaker legs and ablilties can avoid a lot of zero MPH tipovers by having a bike we can "flat foot." Don't forget these accidents can be painful as well as expensive.

I can flat-foot my current bike. I couldn't do so with the KTM I rode in NZ and twice came a fraction from dropping it backing it into a parking spot.

So, it is not what short legged experts can do on your bike that matters. It is what YOU can do.

True on all counts. I stand,...sit, corrected.

I have to say, that working floor sales at a BMW dealership, I see a lot of riders struggle to simply swing a leg over most of the BMWs in the product line. Sometimes its almost embarrassing to watch someone try to swing a leg over the bike. I am very fortunate, that even at 54, I can easily swing my lower leg higher than the pivot of my hip joint. That's not the case for many my age and younger.

Perhaps Harley did the marketing years ago, and saw the age group/demographic developing, that would find a very low seat height/easy swing over bike very desirable. It does look a far bit more easy and natural to swing a leg over a Harley than a BMW.

I have to say, that working floor sales at a BMW dealership, I see a lot of riders struggle to simply swing a leg over most of the BMWs in the product line. Sometimes its almost embarrassing to watch someone try to swing a leg over the bike. I am very fortunate, that even at 54, I can easily swing my lower leg higher than the pivot of my hip joint. That's not the case for many my age and younger.

Perhaps Harley did the marketing years ago, and saw the age group/demographic developing, that would find a very low seat height/easy swing over bike very desirable. It does look a far bit more easy and natural to swing a leg over a Harley than a BMW.

One more reason why i hope the new C650GT is a big seller here.

For the OP - I'd suggest an R1200R test ride. Take your checkbook. It's very quickly becoming the most popular bike in our local club. Out of about 65 members, we now have at least 6 people riding R12Rs.. more R12R riders then GS riders easily now. And almost everyone bought one because they were tired of the weight and bulk of the other bikes.

The R12R works just fine for touring, easy to farkle up for touring, and equally easy to strip down for fun. It's the swiss-army knife of BMW bikes IMHO.. does all things quite well actually.

Met up with some of our clubmates for Sunday breakfast yesterday...4 R12R's out of 8 bikes...They are not a rare sight around here.
I was on our R12S so no GS's at all. I ride Helen's and have to agree...it is a great do everything bike. I recall reading some post some time back saying most R owners will eventually get a RT, I think it's the other way around from what I have seen.

I tip them over even when I can flat foot, but the incidence is a lot less. The ground also has a habit of not being level.

The problem is ripping my shoulders when trying to save them from the fall. I know it's too heavy once it starts to go, but the reaction is too strong.

There most certainly are strong, athletic, expert riders with shorter inseams who do just fine on on taller bikes. Does that describe you? Doesn't describe me. When I rode that KTM in NZ a couple years ago which had me on tippy toes on flat pavement, I'm proud to say I never dropped it. But it was VERY close several times. Do you need this added worry on your bike?

For many of us less than expert riders, being able to "flat foot" the bike saves us both pain and dollars. My bike hasn't been on its side for over three years.

Yeah but who in their right mind wants to ride one? I'm just kidding.

I think that's true, and a lot of people seem to like riding that style of motorcycle. I have to put up with the tall bike because I like BMWs form and function over a cruiser style bike.

I am now 52, and can see a day when my RT is going to be too tall and too heavy. That's unfortunate because the electronic wind screen, the cruise control, and the other nice items on the bike really make it comfortable for riding in all kinds of weather.

My inseam is 28 inches and it would sure be nice if BMW made an RT where a 28 inch inseam could actually flatfoot the bike.

I would try to find an already lowered bike to test ride before you lower yours. I know this is not the same bike, but same type of situation. I have a F650 that was factory low suspension. I just recently put it back to "stock" full height. The ride quality is unbelievably better now than it was when it was lower. I would hate to see you lower the bike and come to hate the ride.

Yeah but who in their right mind wants to ride one? I'm just kidding.

I think that's true, and a lot of people seem to like riding that style of motorcycle. I have to put up with the tall bike because I like BMWs form and function over a cruiser style bike.

I am now 52, and can see a day when my RT is going to be too tall and too heavy. That's unfortunate because the electronic wind screen, the cruise control, and the other nice items on the bike really make it comfortable for riding in all kinds of weather.

My inseam is 28 inches and it would sure be nice if BMW made an RT where a 28 inch inseam could actually flatfoot the bike.

My friend John has a 2010 Rt that he bought with the low suspension and the low seat. He has about a 28 or 29" inseam .
The combination of the low suspension and seat caused his knees to be bent so much they hurt. He bought a standard height seat recently and it's better.

Hey Andy:
Thanks for the advice. What prompted you to buy a 1200 R vs a RT? Most of my riding is around town with one or two over-night trips a year. Do you ever take your bike on the road? What about wind pressure and/or protection on the road.

I've been looking at and thinking about trading for an R1200RT. With the liquid cooled engine coming out in '13 I'm going to wait and see if it's what I want or go for a '12.

The Wilbur's are an interesting thought and something I'll consider if I decide to keep the GS.

My wife had an RT for about 2 years and just swapped it this past year for an R. She's much happier with the R. The R is lighter, more maneuverable and quicker (same engine, a lot lighter). She put a Cee Bailey's windscreen on it which gives great coverage, the full set of bags (the small topcase included), a ZUMO 665 w/XM/Weather Radar, Touratech hand guards and some other stuff. She says the only thing she misses is the cruise control, but since 90 percent of her riding is day trips, no biggie. For two-up or lots of long distance, the RT is better but for all-around use, the R, hands down.

I've had my GSA for almost a year and still not comfortable around town and/or a slow speeds. I'm 5'11" tall but I only have a 30" inseam. I'm on my tip toes when I stop and really struggle when trying to move the bike while sitting on it. I've been told not to worry about it and that I'll get use to it over time. But that's yet to happen.

I have a KLR that has a seat height that's about the same as th GS but it's weighs significantly less and a lot easier to handle around town. I know people have lowered standard GS bikes but not aware of anyone doing it to an Adventure. My question is that if it can be done what are the pros and cons and approx should I expect to spend?

I have 30" inseam. GSA. Sargent regular height seat. $400

DAYTONA M STAR BOOTS Will get you about flat footed. https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=71 $450

Extremely well made boots. Also, WESA by ohlins. $2000.

Last edited:
Met up with some of our clubmates for Sunday breakfast yesterday...4 R12R's out of 8 bikes...They are not a rare sight around here.
I was on our R12S so no GS's at all. I ride Helen's and have to agree...it is a great do everything bike. I recall reading some post some time back saying most R owners will eventually get a RT, I think it's the other way around from what I have seen.

+1 My wife went to an R from an RT. Faster, lighter, more maneuverable and easier to handle. Easy to farkle for touring. She says its the best sport touring bike she's had since her VFR and more comfortable as well. I've ridden both the R and RT, and have to agree.

Oh, and she's not an inexperienced rider, either. She's an MSF RiderCoach and OEM demo rider, who in addition to her R, has a Ducati Monster 1100 EVO, a CBR600RR track bike and a 1990 GB500 in the garage.

IMHO if its too tall to ride around town that you should get rid of it. I know that sounds like a harsh assessment, but I have been there. When I rode K bikes, I wouldn't take it out for anything less than a 50 mile ride, and even them I was always concerned about where I was coming to a stop

When I switched to oilheads, all of that angst went away. Now if I need to go get my haircut, I jump on the bike.

Get a GS. It's lighter and lower and will do everything that the GSA will do except have the range

YMMV

Back