• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

anybody here use car tires on their sidcar rig?

EML,EZS and others have been using car tires for over thirty years. But those are sidecar conversions, sidecars steer,not lean. Those wheels are different for the auto tire(bead,sidewall,tread)and quite different from motorcycle tires.

excuse my dumb..not sure what that means

You are not dumb, just uninformed...they are sidecar manufacturers.
My '85 K100/EML runs 15in car tires all around...but as mentioned, we don't lean.

I run a Vredestein Snow+ pusher in 165-70-15 with a conversion kit. Would dearly love to run a 17 incher on the stock rim, but don't want to be the first to try at $230 each plus shipping from the UK!

I have an early 80's vintage EML sidecar rig that has 125 70 x15 car tires on the bike and a smaller tire on the car. These and the EZS are dutch designed and built sidecar rigs. They were and still are sold with a factory wheel that use car tires. I also have a '95 airhead BMW with unit forks and a Kenna sidecar. I have located hubs, a rim supplier and a company that will respoke the wheels which will enable me to mount 15" wheels and car tires on this rig as well. The rear car tire will give you added wear life over a motorcycle tire. Some like a car tire on the front of their bikes and others find the wider tire creates some of it's own handling concerns.

Yes.....195-45/17 Yokohama S-Drive

Cartire002.jpg

My thought is that a conversion is a setup where the motorcycle is modified to the point it can no longer be used as a two wheeler by just unbolting the sidecar.

TTHalloween071873r-vi.jpg

On my "conversion" if the sidecar is removed there nothing to support the right side of the front swingarm. Also with minimal trail and car tires it wouldn't handle well at all. (The trail statement is NOT perfectly correct, with the center hub steering its really caster.)

Mike

Last edited:
Car Wheel & Tire for Your Side Car rig

:thumb:usa I an running a Kumho Power Star 758 165/80 R15 87T tire on my 04 k1200 GT with a Hannigan Classic side car. It workes very well. Claud at C Stanley Motorsports in Middleburg, Pa. Makes adapters to fit a car wheel ( VW I think ) to your rear end. the adapter bolts to the drive and the wheel bolts to the adapter. It workes very well, tire still shows NO wear after three years. It gives a nice ride too. C Stanley Motorsports, http://freedomsidecars.com :dance:usa MADE IN THE USA!!!!

Back