• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LC 20 oil additive..

K1600_gtl

ok, so I'm not quick to use just any additive in my vehicles, but apart from Techron in my fuel every so often, I've had good luck with LC20 in my duramax truck and BMW X5... seems to keep the engine cleaner (just thru visual inspection thru oil cap)..

I'm wondering if a dirty little engine like the boxer with it's high amount of oil burn during the breakin period couldn't benefit from LC20 to keep it clean? anyone have any experience with it in their bike? The guys over at BITOG seem to like it..

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2402552&page=1

http://www.lcdinc.com

ok, so I'm not quick to use just any additive in my vehicles, but apart from Techron in my fuel every so often, I've had good luck with LC20 in my duramax truck and BMW X5... seems to keep the engine cleaner (just thru visual inspection thru oil cap)..

I'm wondering if a dirty little engine like the boxer with it's high amount of oil burn during the breakin period couldn't benefit from LC20 to keep it clean? anyone have any experience with it in their bike? The guys over at BITOG seem to like it..

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2402552&page=1

http://www.lcdinc.com

I'd go with STP, the "Racer's Edge". However, only after showering and using "Speed Stick" by MENNEN.

OK, OK, I just like the old ad jingles:)

I'm not much for additives other than maybe Chevron Techron which I've used a few times (I haven't used it in years and have 140,000 miles on my ultra smooth idling Honda CR-V) and Dow Corning M Gear Guard in the final drive of my R bikes (no fuzz on my magnetic drain plug ;)).

As for engine oil, I've used Mobil 1 synthetic since the first inspection in my 1999 Honda CR-V with 8000 mile oil change intervals (BTW, that oil change interval is excessively early for a quality synthetic oil). The engine internals are ultra clean.

The Porsche Carrera also sees Mobil 1. The engine internals are ultra clean as well.

There is too much hype and gabbing going on about oils on oil forums. I have yet to see an oil related engine failure unless the car was abused and neglected. But the additive companies know how to sell based on consumer fear.

A quality engine oil doesn't need additional additives. Regardless of what the marketing types will tell you, a petroleum engineer in any oil company knows the properties of any possible combination of additives any firm can offer, and each oil manufacturer chooses those additives they feel are best for the oils they sell. There are no dark secrets to the engineers. If the chemicals in the various oil additives were really beneficial, they would be incorporated into the oils themselves by the manufacturers. Most of this stuff is just a way to get you to part with your money.

A quality engine oil doesn't need additional additives. Regardless of what the marketing types will tell you, a petroleum engineer in any oil company knows the properties of any possible combination of additives any firm can offer, and each oil manufacturer chooses those additives they feel are best for the oils they sell. There are no dark secrets to the engineers. If the chemicals in the various oil additives were really beneficial, they would be incorporated into the oils themselves by the manufacturers. Most of this stuff is just a way to get you to part with your money.

actually it is a fact that the additives do wear out and/or evaporate over time... The life of a good synthetic oil is generally dictated by the length of time the additive package is expected to last. I don't dispute that 99% of the additives are unnecessary but I did read a few good things about this LC20 and it seems with an engine prone to getting a lot of carbon on the piston and heads, this might be helpful in keeping it cleaner, as Techron has been proven to do from the fuel standpoint.

If you want a really clean engine simply position your air intake snorkel behind the front wheel while riding in a rain storm.

:D

really? it is?

No. As with most recent BMW engines, the engine management system keeps the motor very close to as lean as possible. There are not a lot of hydrocarbons to remain unburned. That statement is true of some Airheads but not of any injected engine since.

Babying the engine can cause some buildup from oil, from rings not sealing well, but that is entirely another issue.

really? it is?

There was a 2006 boxer engine taken apart at my local dealer with carbon all over the piston surface and on the overhead area/valves.. I asked the dealer about it and he said that it's somewhat normal on the engines that burn oil.... and this one was burning oil into the 20's...

I mean what else do you expect when you burn oil? water vapor?

Oil additives

After spending a life time working with marine diesel engines and a few gasoline engines I firmly believe that one can not beat a good quality engine lubricant. A good quality product does not need any additives. Consider a good lubricant as cheaper than a prematurely worn out engine.

The best way to determine wear characteristics is to send a sample of your used lubricant to a reputable independent oil lab for analysis. Many engine manufactures publish acceptable wear limits for a particular engine. Granted, that a baseline is most helpful in failure analysis, but if you use a good lab the engineer can be most helpful in the areas of "normal" wear.

Most labs can provide a TBN number (total base number) this provides approximate age of the oil and their testing can also tell you of useful oil life remaining. Some lab reports are listed in metallurgical terms, fe: Iron, cu:Copper, al:Aluminum, cr:Chrome, pb:Lead, etc. In order to fully benefit from this report you need to know what parts are made of which metal.

The report will also indicate silicone some of which is an additive except abrasive silicone, which is dirt. Moisture from coolant and/or condensation.

If anyone is interested in speaking with an engineer (owner) at the oil lab I used for somewhere close to 20 years can personally email me for name, address, phone number and email address. I have no interest is this business but admit over the years the owner and I become friends.

After spending a life time working with marine diesel engines and a few gasoline engines I firmly believe that one can not beat a good quality engine lubricant. A good quality product does not need any additives. Consider a good lubricant as cheaper than a prematurely worn out engine.

The best way to determine wear characteristics is to send a sample of your used lubricant to a reputable independent oil lab for analysis. Many engine manufactures publish acceptable wear limits for a particular engine. Granted, that a baseline is most helpful in failure analysis, but if you use a good lab the engineer can be most helpful in the areas of "normal" wear.

Most labs can provide a TBN number (total base number) this provides approximate age of the oil and their testing can also tell you of useful oil life remaining. Some lab reports are listed in metallurgical terms, fe: Iron, cu:Copper, al:Aluminum, cr:Chrome, pb:Lead, etc. In order to fully benefit from this report you need to know what parts are made of which metal.

The report will also indicate silicone some of which is an additive except abrasive silicone, which is dirt. Moisture from coolant and/or condensation.

If anyone is interested in speaking with an engineer (owner) at the oil lab I used for somewhere close to 20 years can personally email me for name, address, phone number and email address. I have no interest is this business but admit over the years the owner and I become friends.

Exactly! Thank you. I had trucks in my fleet running 20,000 miles per month and we had engines lasting past 500,000 miles with nothing more than routine maintenance, regular oil and filter changes, regular testing of the coolant (Nalcool additive in diesel engine coolant is essential to prevent pitting of the wet liners) and an "overhead "(valve) adjustment every 100K. One of our trucks that was dedicated to two careful drivers went over 900,000 miles before the engine , an older 14 liter Cummins "Big Cam" 400) needed an overhaul. If the oil you buy has the right additives to begin with, putting in additional additives is a complete waste of money. It accomplishes nothing. We used Chevron Delo 400 and changed this at 10,000 mile intervals, which is extremely conservative by modern standards. With the current synthetics oil changes are out past 20,000 miles and the engines last just fine.

actually it is a fact that the additives do wear out and/or evaporate over time... The life of a good synthetic oil is generally dictated by the length of time the additive package is expected to last. I don't dispute that 99% of the additives are unnecessary but I did read a few good things about this LC20 and it seems with an engine prone to getting a lot of carbon on the piston and heads, this might be helpful in keeping it cleaner, as Techron has been proven to do from the fuel standpoint.

True, but even so do you really think the engineers that designed the oil are so stupid as to omit necessary additives from their additive package? And are you absolutely certain the people at LC 20 magically know just what additives are lacking in the oil you buy? And, if you change the oil at the recommended interval, why would you worry about the additive package in the oil wearing out?

Back