• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LC 20 oil additive..

Owners manual '08RT

oil grades

Engine oils of API classification SF or better.
Engine oils of ACEA classification A2 or better

That's what I use

Hold the phone, Ethel, isn't that Mobil 1 stuff.......synthetic? :D

:bolt

You will find that the no conventional engine oil made in the US to the most recent API grades meets any of the European auto manufacturers oil specifications. Only Group IV or Group V synthetics do. Mobil-1 is a Group IV synthetic.

oil grades

That's what I use

Careful. ACEA sequence A2 is only for certain engines and long drain intervals. A3/B3 and A3/B4 are the sequences for high performance engines that require the greatest temperature and sheer resistance. Re-read that link I provided a couple of posts above.

API SG is the highest API grade before some of the anti wear additives were removed. SH or higher lacks the additives needed for high performance and older engines. If you look at BMW label oils, they are SG. The same is true of some specialty high performance oils like Brad Penn, that are aimed at older cars with flat tappets.

Careful. ACEA sequence A2 is only for certain engines and long drain intervals. A3/B3 and A3/B4 are the sequences for high performance engines that require the greatest temperature and sheer resistance. Re-read that link I provided a couple of posts above.

API SG is the highest API grade before some of the anti wear additives were removed. SH or higher lacks the additives needed for high performance and older engines. If you look at BMW label oils, they are SG. The same is true of some specialty high performance oils like Brad Penn, that are aimed at older cars with flat tappets.

Just saying this is what BMW calls for in the 2008RT owners manual

oil grades

That's what I use

Just saying this is what BMW calls for in the 2008RT owners manual

oil grades

That's what I use

Huh, interesting. A few years ago BMW was telling owners not to use any oil more recent that API SG. API SH, SL and beyond would void the warranty. Harley Davidson had a similar warning for their customers. BMW's name brand oil is API SG.

Back