Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: LC 20 oil additive..

Amateur Veteran

LC 20 oil additive..

ok, so I'm not quick to use just any additive in my vehicles, but apart from Techron in my fuel every so often, I've had good luck with LC20 in my duramax truck and BMW X5... seems to keep the engine cleaner (just thru visual inspection thru oil cap)..

I'm wondering if a dirty little engine like the boxer with it's high amount of oil burn during the breakin period couldn't benefit from LC20 to keep it clean? anyone have any experience with it in their bike? The guys over at BITOG seem to like it..

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2402552&page=1

http://www.lcdinc.com

Quote Originally Posted by R1200RClassic View Post
    ok, so I'm not quick to use just any additive in my vehicles, but apart from Techron in my fuel every so often, I've had good luck with LC20 in my duramax truck and BMW X5... seems to keep the engine cleaner (just thru visual inspection thru oil cap)..

I'm wondering if a dirty little engine like the boxer with it's high amount of oil burn during the breakin period couldn't benefit from LC20 to keep it clean? anyone have any experience with it in their bike? The guys over at BITOG seem to like it..

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2402552&page=1

http://www.lcdinc.com
    I'd go with STP, the "Racer's Edge". However, only after showering and using "Speed Stick" by MENNEN.

OK, OK, I just like the old ad jingles
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

I'm not much for additives other than maybe Chevron Techron which I've used a few times (I haven't used it in years and have 140,000 miles on my ultra smooth idling Honda CR-V) and Dow Corning M Gear Guard in the final drive of my R bikes (no fuzz on my magnetic drain plug ).

As for engine oil, I've used Mobil 1 synthetic since the first inspection in my 1999 Honda CR-V with 8000 mile oil change intervals (BTW, that oil change interval is excessively early for a quality synthetic oil). The engine internals are ultra clean.

The Porsche Carrera also sees Mobil 1. The engine internals are ultra clean as well.

There is too much hype and gabbing going on about oils on oil forums. I have yet to see an oil related engine failure unless the car was abused and neglected. But the additive companies know how to sell based on consumer fear.

to me, that sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    to me, that sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
    +1 A worrier.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

A quality engine oil doesn't need additional additives. Regardless of what the marketing types will tell you, a petroleum engineer in any oil company knows the properties of any possible combination of additives any firm can offer, and each oil manufacturer chooses those additives they feel are best for the oils they sell. There are no dark secrets to the engineers. If the chemicals in the various oil additives were really beneficial, they would be incorporated into the oils themselves by the manufacturers. Most of this stuff is just a way to get you to part with your money.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by 42906 View Post
    Most of this stuff is just a way to get you to part with your money.
    and they seem to be fairly successful at that..... at least from some of us.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Amateur Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 42906 View Post
    A quality engine oil doesn't need additional additives. Regardless of what the marketing types will tell you, a petroleum engineer in any oil company knows the properties of any possible combination of additives any firm can offer, and each oil manufacturer chooses those additives they feel are best for the oils they sell. There are no dark secrets to the engineers. If the chemicals in the various oil additives were really beneficial, they would be incorporated into the oils themselves by the manufacturers. Most of this stuff is just a way to get you to part with your money.
    actually it is a fact that the additives do wear out and/or evaporate over time... The life of a good synthetic oil is generally dictated by the length of time the additive package is expected to last. I don't dispute that 99% of the additives are unnecessary but I did read a few good things about this LC20 and it seems with an engine prone to getting a lot of carbon on the piston and heads, this might be helpful in keeping it cleaner, as Techron has been proven to do from the fuel standpoint.

Does the name P.T. Barnum ring a bell ?
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Left Coast Rider
    If you want a really clean engine simply position your air intake snorkel behind the front wheel while riding in a rain storm.

Amateur Veteran

Hey, you asked.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I've had good luck with motor oil.

Joe,

Quote Originally Posted by R1200RClassic View Post
    .....and it seems with an engine prone to getting a lot of carbon on the piston and heads.......
    really? it is?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots