• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cardo Scala Rider G9 Headset

H

HONDARIDER

So I bought the Scala headset a few months ago for a big ride. It is amazing. When I'm alone, the Bluetooth functionality allows me to listen to songs from my Blackberry all day long and even allows me to answer incoming calls hands-free. The sound is very good and battery life is exceptional. I do have an issue however. When paired with an earlier model that my cousin uses, we could talk all day long, but it never switches back to music when we stop talking. As I understand it, after 30 seconds or so of not talking, it should go back to playing music or whatever secondary function I choose. Likewise, if I took a phone call, it never swaps back to intercom after the call is ended. It seems like the VOX function is too sensitive and wind noise is causing it to stay in transmit mode all day long. This worked fine as long as we wanted to talk, but sometimes we'd run out of things to talk about and I just wanted to listen to some tunes. Instead, all I could hear is the sound of the wind in his helmet. We both are using full face helmets and riding bikes with windshields so the noise should certainly be below the threshold for VOX. Anyone with similar experience? I imagine there's an adjustment somewhere.

I imagine there's an adjustment somewhere.

There is on the G4 and G9 models. The G4 firmware must be updated to v3.0.

You can adjust the VOX sensitivity to Low, Medium, or High either by using the supplied PC software or by the audio menu built into the units.

The default setting is Medium, but that may be too low for full face helmets. Try adjusting sensitivity to see if the intercom will activate OK, but automatically deactivate after 30" of not talking.

I have a G4 and did a trip earlier this year with a buddy who has a G9. We could not get the VOX activation/deactivation to work when paired together. When paired with another buddy with both of us using G4s, the VOX worked fine. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Thank you. I will give it a shot and see if I can find the option in the software. I suppose that my cousin's unit could be the culprit for the same reason.

Thank you. I will give it a shot and see if I can find the option in the software. I suppose that my cousin's unit could be the culprit for the same reason.

Actually I misspoke about which VOX setting to use. Users that have open face helmets most probably need the Low sensitivity setting to allow the VOX to deactivate due to the high wind noise. Closed face users should be able to use Med or High.

I have a closed face helmet and the Med setting works fine for me with other G4 users.

Back