• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

GPS- Garmin Zumo

SULLY

I'm confident that I could live with a Zumo, since my Garmin eTrex Vista just died after 11 years. I want a Vista-like display (a real map, not a simulated on-road view). Can I get that with an inexpensive (Zumo 220) Garmin? I do not have a retailer in Central NY that has a Zumo in stock, and nobody can answer questions about them. Garmin's website gives no details about the display, other than showing that "road view".

Some help, folks? Y'all've come through every time I've asked.

I'm confident that I could live with a Zumo, since my Garmin eTrex Vista just died after 11 years. I want a Vista-like display (a real map, not a simulated on-road view). Can I get that with an inexpensive (Zumo 220) Garmin? I do not have a retailer in Central NY that has a Zumo in stock, and nobody can answer questions about them. Garmin's website gives no details about the display, other than showing that "road view".

Some help, folks? Y'all've come through every time I've asked.

Does Buffalo still have a BMW dealer? If you have a dealer near you, some dealers will have a Nav IV on display for you to play with. The Nav IV is similar to a Zumo on how the maps look. The Nav IV will have a wider screen than the Zumo 220.

just curious...what is the advantage of having a more expensive zummo over a less expensive gps for your bike? I ride with a $100 garmin gps and pop it in a waterproof holder when it rains. Just wondering.. thanks

just curious...what is the advantage of having a more expensive zummo over a less expensive gps for your bike? I ride with a $100 garmin gps and pop it in a waterproof holder when it rains. Just wondering.. thanks

The Zumo is more rugged and can stand more vibration. You can plan a route on your computer and copy it to your Zumo or Nuvi 550.
Most of the $100 unit will only let you enter the destination.

They all tell you where you are. Some of us want more than that.

I have a Garmin Zumo 220 (it replaced my old BMW NavI). Out of the box you get either the 3D, looking down the road (default) or the 2D looking down from the sky option. I find that in unfamiliar territory the 2D give a better idea of what the road ahead is like and has the look of a real map. I don't have a picture of the 3D look but did attach on of the 2D to see if it's what you meant. You can see some of the subtle shading of the map in the picture. You don't get that with the 3D view. The little motorcycle looks better in 3D though!

I've had it nearly a year and love it. I have a bit of a description here: http://ourbmw.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/out-with-the-old-and-in-with-the-new/

Attachments

• DSCN2251.jpg
    DSCN2251.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,460
Thanks, Chris Ehlbeck, and every other poster to this thread.

That's the view I was looking for. I don't need Bluetooth or XM, just a map view that correlates to my paper maps. You d'man.

Thanks, Chris Ehlbeck, and every other poster to this thread.

That's the view I was looking for. I don't need Bluetooth or XM, just a map view that correlates to my paper maps. You d'man.

You might really enjoy a Nuvi 550. Virtually the same as a Zumo 220 but for less $$

Try www.amazon.com

I'm glad we could help.

I also considered the Nuvi 550. You'd lose the Bluetooth to an intercom but that sounds like it's not issue for you. I could've taken or left it too.

But what you do get with the Zumo 220 is a nearly complete mounting kit and brackets along with a wiring kit for a motorcycle. If you're mounting on round handlebars you're all set out of the box. I had to use a RAM ball mount I already had. The Zumo also includes MapSource so that you can create routes on your computer and then transfer them to the Zumo with the included USB cable. By the time I would've bought the mounting parts, wiring and MapSource it would've been nearly as much to buy the Nuvi as the Zumo.

he Zumo also includes MapSource so that you can create routes on your computer and then transfer them to the Zumo with the included USB cable.

MapSource came with my Nuvi 550, but I had to buy a handlebar mount and power cable.
The Nuvi does not have a earphone jack, which can be a dealbreaker for some.

Last edited:
Garmin vs anyother GPS device

The Nuvi does not have a earphone jack, which can be a dealbreaker for some.[/QUOTE]

I have an Autocom communication device, between helmets, and I don't listen to radio during riding. I plan to take an extended road trip and considering a navigtion device, especially through some heavily meto areas. The best unit and least expensive unit that will connect to my Autocom so that I can hear the GPS voice through my helmet speakers? Any suggestions? Anyone use this system or one like it?

The Autocom website suggests the Garmin 550 or 660 as compatible with their NEW harness. No details on either how that hookup is accomplished or whether it works well.

I have a Garmin Zumo 220 (it replaced my old BMW NavI). Out of the box you get either the 3D, looking down the road (default) or the 2D looking down from the sky option. I find that in unfamiliar territory the 2D give a better idea of what the road ahead is like and has the look of a real map. I don't have a picture of the 3D look but did attach on of the 2D to see if it's what you meant. You can see some of the subtle shading of the map in the picture. You don't get that with the 3D view. The little motorcycle looks better in 3D though!

I've had it nearly a year and love it. I have a bit of a description here: http://ourbmw.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/out-with-the-old-and-in-with-the-new/

Another good feature of the 2D is the little arrow by the speed. It points to North. This shows he is going S Sw.
Phil

I have an Autocom communication device, between helmets, and I don't listen to radio during riding. I plan to take an extended road trip and considering a navigtion device, especially through some heavily meto areas. The best unit and least expensive unit that will connect to my Autocom so that I can hear the GPS voice through my helmet speakers? Any suggestions? Anyone use this system or one like it?

The Autocom website suggests the Garmin 550 or 660 as compatible with their NEW harness. No details on either how that hookup is accomplished or whether it works well.

I have an Autocom Super Pro-Avi setup wired into a Garmin 478 (with XM and XM Weather). I used the Garmin wiring harness into the Autocom isolation lead, and it works nicely. I also have another isolation cable, BMW accessory repair cable and will tie into the bike audio system when I get some time to pull the tupperware.

You can use any Garmin, or anything else for that matter, that has audio output that can be tied into the Autocom isolation lead setup. It is a very easy install since you already have the basic intercom system, and only requires soldering the wires from the Garmin harness to the proper wires in the Autocom lead. I have no problem hearing the navigation instructions, or the XM radio, when on the bike and using my speaker ear plugs.

The bike radio and speakers are used when I am not running with the earplugs in place, for short town-hops.

I have 3. A zumo 550, 450, and an old 2720. The absolute requirement for me is route planning with mapsource. All 3 do route planning, most "car" models dont. Our riding group will all share the days route. At first it was about navigation, but the safety aspect is also nice. When you are 2000 miles from home, having Jill tell everyone in the group where we are going is nice. Of the zumo's, 450 no Bluetooth, 550 has Bluetooth but mono, 660 has Bluetooth stereo. I picked up my 550 from eBay for $400. Works great with my sena.
For clarity, the route planning ability is critical to us. You will travel on roads a traditional, point to point GPS would never take you.

Back