• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Selling a high mileage bike?

DARKCLOUD

Anybody have any ideas? I have a 2002RT with about 145,000 miles. Just put about 1800 bucks into it new tires, new odyssey battery, fresh tune up, fluids, moto lights, trailer hitch and trailer. Besides a lot of pictures, what would it take to find a buyer? Jon

The right price.

The $1800 bucks are gone. The next buyer EXPECTS the bike to have good tires, battery, and fluids. Motolights and a trailer hitch don't add value, and may even limit the market for the bike.

Price it low and move on.

Cheers, Tom

I dont think it would be considered a high mile bike. Others may disagree. A good place to get a price is IBMWR's web site.

Sell separately

Sell the bike/ the trailer / hitch / lights as separate items. You will net more money.

I bought one like yours with similar mileage for $2500. Good luck.

I agree. Sell the trailer and maybe hitch separately. Plenty of guys out there that would be interested in a medium to high mileage bike for the right price. I personally know of an RT that recently sold with over 200K miles on it. It is still running great and the owner happily uses it around town and on short day trips.

I had a 85 K100RS with 230K. A friend of a friend wanted to buy it, he ask me for a price. I saided $1500, it took him less than 2 seconds to write the check.:banghead Two years later he sold it for $2500 with 235k in worse shape.

ROC

I agree with the advice above.

For a point of reference, I just sold my 2000 RT (125,000 miles) for $4000.

More than one potential Ebay buyer contacted me to confirm the mileage was correct. This kind of mileage is common to us riders, but to other people may it seem ridiculous. I ended up selling to a local guy.

I sold the Ohlins shocks, Corbin seat, Elf Pegs and PIAAs separately for a combined $1500..... more than I could have gotten if it had all gone with the bike.

An honest and verifiable maintenance record would help a lot.

Bullseye. Having all the receipts and a maintenance log ready for inspection will put a lot of folks familiar with the long life of a properly maintained BMW at ease.

Bullseye. Having all the receipts and a maintenance log ready for inspection will put a lot of folks familiar with the long life of a properly maintained BMW at ease.

I dunno, I do all my own work and can tell if a bike is in good repair or not. It isn't that difficult if you know what to look for. It's also very easy these days to find out which years and models had problems and what those problems were. My vehicles rarely go to a mechanic or dealer. And when I sell them, I throw in the spare parts I've bought ahead of time, as well as the greasy shop manuals.

Then I guess you are one of the folks who doesn't care about receipts :) Many do however. When I bought my K75RT it was nice to see the receipts from the dealer for the spline lubes, made me feel warm and fuzzy. As expected, when I opened it up 10k or so later they looked beautiful.

I do most of my own work as well, and keep a maintenance log of what I have done and keep the receipts for parts, fluids and such to help back it up. And yes, the receipt for the Guard Dog Moly lube is in there :thumb

I do most of my own work as well, and keep a maintenance log of what I have done and keep the receipts for parts, fluids and such to help back it up. And yes, the receipt for the Guard Dog Moly lube is in there :thumb

would you please come down here and organize my stuff? :brow

Me too;

I keep a logbook of all my self service, but rarely keep the parts receipts. I'm also opposite, think many may look at the book, listen to all your tales of self service, but don't care much about all that, if the bike looks great and runs swell, thats it for most to buy. I've sold two over a 100000m bikes and that was the case, both times. Test ride is all it took, they did not even want the paper trail! Many disagree of course, but buyers don't always have anything in mind but a single owner and/or pretty bike, miles be whatever. Price is the biggest concern, cheap as they can get it, nothing else. The BMW buyers I've come across, for the most part, are educated somewhat to what they are shopping/buying and may be even more rare than the average biker buying a bike. I don't care to sell to a guy/gal that needs 100% proof of the service records...They shouldn't be shopping, as they probably don't know what they are looking at anyways...Randy:thumb

I'm relatively new to the BMW market, but have bought and sold dozens of Japanese bikes and some with mileage over 100K. I know that many BMW bikes, when properly maintained will go well over 200K. I use to offer a pre-purchase inspection (about $100) for serious buyers, and that always put them at ease.

Anybody have any ideas? I have a 2002RT with about 145,000 miles. Just put about 1800 bucks into it new tires, new odyssey battery, fresh tune up, fluids, moto lights, trailer hitch and trailer. Besides a lot of pictures, what would it take to find a buyer? Jon

Just sold my 02 for what I considered a fair price. looked at blue book and knocked the price down some. mine had 100K

About a month ago purchased a 2000 RT1100 with under 12,000 miles for $4000. A friend did a fly and ride on a 1994 1100RS with 100000 miles with all the maintenance and repair records for $2000. She rode it from Texas to Seattle and is now asking $2500 for it. GLWTS.

The right price.

The $1800 bucks are gone. The next buyer EXPECTS the bike to have good tires, battery, and fluids. Motolights and a trailer hitch don't add value, and may even limit the market for the bike.

Price it low and move on.

Cheers, Tom

I couldn't agree more. Once a bike reaches that kind of mileage you will have to sell it cheap if you want to move it.

I bought an R1150GS back in 2010. It's a 2001 and had 126K miles. I got it out the door for $4500. I was hesitant at first, but all the mainenace records were with it and it had been meticulously attended to for every scheduled sevice and a few other fixes along the way. There was even a top end rebuild (over $3,000 for the job) done at 101K miles, that included all kinds of seals, belts, parts that tend to go bad, as often discussed on oilhead forums). It looked great for it's age and ran as smooth as silk. To me, it sorted of started over at 101K miles, and I think the high miles scared off other potential buyers till I made my offer. Absolutely no regrets here.
More to the point, if you have good, complete maintenance records, and a buyer that understands the potential life of a well-kept beemer, someone will come along and buy it at a fair price. I think you just have to make sure you include a description of its maintenance history in your advertisement..
Best wishes, Curt

Back