• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'93 R100 RS Clock is Broken

I'm familiar with the old dial gages and clocks...does the '93 have something like that?

Check the speedometer section of the Resources and Links thread. I'm sure it can be fixed. As to worth, that's up to you if you want something that came with the bike or if you want to just replace it with something generic and move on.

I had mine repaired by Rick Borth at Oversees Speedometer in Austin. It cost about $80. I had considered buying a used one, but mine was in very good aesthetic condition, and used ones typically go for $75 and up (and they often look worn/faded). If you don't care if it matches exactly, there are a number of after market ones out there that will fit in the same opening (I bought a new VDO clock for my car for $30 and it works great- I think I bought it from egauges).

If ya don't mind, I'd like to hijack this thread for one question. When I purchased my 91 R100RT about a month ago the clock didn't work. The previous owner said it was unpluged to keep the battery from going dead. I figgered this was balony and with the help of a friend hooked it back up again. The clock keeps perfect time. I went to start the bike about a hour ago and the battery was allmost dead. this never happened before. So how could one little clock drain the battery???:banghead

If ya don't mind, I'd like to hijack this thread for one question. When I purchased my 91 R100RT about a month ago the clock didn't work. The previous owner said it was unpluged to keep the battery from going dead. I figgered this was balony and with the help of a friend hooked it back up again. The clock keeps perfect time. I went to start the bike about a hour ago and the battery was allmost dead. this never happened before. So how could one little clock drain the battery???:banghead

how? because it runs 24/7.
no, it should not drain the battery, unless you left it unattended and unrun for a few months.

to the OP= a stock working clock is nice, but $80 or so? To that i would say "not unless your bike is going to be entered in a Concourse level event."
sometimes, riding a bike with no sense of time at all is the very best thing we can do with our time.

many just velcro a $5 watch to the handlebar, and it works just dandy.

Contact Terry Vrla in Hillboro, OR. He has been fixing Airhead instruments for many years.

"Terry Vrla" terryvrla@hotmail.com

Lots of happy clients can be found on the Airheads forum at ADVRider.com

Mine sits for weeks at a time with the clock running with no ill effects. Perhaps your battery is a little weak?

Why not replace it with a VDO clock with the knob on top instead of on the bottom where it is hard to reach. If time is important to you it shouldn't matter if it says BMW or VDO on the face.

Throw the clock in the collection of parts box for a future collector. Ooh, look an original clock! Put in a useful gauge of yer pick like oil pressure. Strap yer $10 Casio on the handlebar before you take off. Or, forget about time and keep track of time by looking at angle of sun and hunger pangs. Less is more. Clocks are for work. Buzz, time to punch in/out.

Yes, sun dial can be mounted on top of helmet and read on your Ibad through signal on internet.

Last edited:
I think I'll take a look at my battery. I was told it was new, but new when??? three years ago??? or did it come from Wal-mart???

Time??

Igor's SECOND clock failed about 8 years ago....so I set it on "Five o'Clock",,,,my $6 chinese made digital has been velcro'd to the handlebar clamp since then....has never lost a minute!!!:nyah

mine has never been accurate
mine kills the battery in two to three weeks
mine is disonnected now
mine will be replaced with an vdo oil pressure gauge

Seems to me an oil pressure (or oil temp) gauge would be more useful than a clock. I'd be interested in it too. How do you intend to plumb it in? Tee off the existing pressure switch?

Oil gauges

Years ago I replaced my oil pressure sending unit with a VDO unit that has a higher idiot light trigger (15 psi I think) and a post for elec. oil pressure gauge....I also added an oil temp gauge for the 4th hole in my Wudo dash.....

Seems to me an oil pressure (or oil temp) gauge would be more useful than a clock. I'd be interested in it too. How do you intend to plumb it in? Tee off the existing pressure switch?

cant remeber what forum I saw it on, but a person came out of the original oil pressure switch hole with a elbow. ran a line up to the battery box area and had a "t". At the "t " was the vdo sending unit for the gauge, and the stock sending unit

that person claimed that there is not enough room for the big vdo sending unit at the block.
I have not tried yet so I dont know about if there is enough room or not. its on my ,,,,, I want to do this someday list ( an oil pressure gauge)

as far as a temp gauge I ahve seen units that replace the drain plug, adn have seen the oil pan drilled and threaded for a sending unit

Back