• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Testing out the new helmet cam

A grand display of irresponsible riding - blatant double yellow passing (with available passing zones coming up) and California stops.

Just the sort of riding that will subject the rest of us to increased CHP obarvation on the way to and from Skaggs Springs Road.

how bad is the buffeting from the camera mounted on top of your helmet? notice the weight at all?
i'm debating between top and side mount.

oh yeah- since this really is not an Oilhead specific thread posting, maybe it should get moved to Just Riding or Gear. Mods?

There's some minor buffeting. It wasn't enough to cause problems. I felt my helmet pulling at the strap slightly.
I'm also curious about other mounting locations. Anyone tried other set ups?

Last edited:
Video cam mount

I've been using the suction cup mount to stick my GoPro camera to the front of the windshield. Initially I was concerned about vibration, but it's worked quite well. The GoPro suction cup mount is advertised to stick on at speeds over 100 mph. I was skeptical at first and used a piece of cord to tie it to the bike in case it came loose. But after the first few rides it was evident that their advertising was true....I've had it up to 80 mph or so without a problem.

At first I stuck it to the bottom of the windshield, but now move it higher to get an angle that more closely resembles the angle I see when riding.

A grand display of irresponsible riding - blatant double yellow passing (with available passing zones coming up) and California stops.

Just the sort of riding that will subject the rest of us to increased CHP obarvation on the way to and from Skaggs Springs Road.

+1 on unsafe pass

Outstanding example of why

Outstanding example of why many people think motorcycles get what they deserve.
You have a accident, your in hospitable for months: hire a lawyer and on the jury is one of the people some 'biker' passed riding just like this example.
This would be good to show at Safety Training: why you need to look 12 seconds ahead, and think everyone is out to kill you.

Sportrider you are a bad example of a motorcyclist.

Don't let them give you a hard time Sportrider, I liked the video :)
I hope to get a Go Pro soon myself. Thanks for a good demo.

If you have the go pro 2, I like the Normal angle, the wide is just too much fish eye effect, the narrow accents movement too much. Get the remote too, you will love it!

As far as the pass, PLEASE, it was NOT dangerous by any terms, as someone else mentioned, I would have given a little more room, basically because on the east coast drivers like to swerve into your lane (yea, some believe that a safe pass on the yellow is a capitol offense, and they try to play Judge jury and executioner).

Lets face it there are a million places where a safe pass can be made that is D yellow, those lines have grandma driving a 6000 lbs, 6 cyl Buick trying to pass a tractor trailer in mind. Or the paint truck operator was too lazy to change the settings. There are also places that are marked as passing zones that I will not use, because I do not have what I feel is a good sight line.

Sorry, I trust my eyes, and brain to make safe passes, not some stupid paint line, so throw some flames my way.

If you have the go pro 2, I like the Normal angle, the wide is just too much fish eye effect, the narrow accents movement too much. Get the remote too, you will love it!

As far as the pass, PLEASE, it was NOT dangerous by any terms, as someone else mentioned, I would have given a little more room, basically because on the east coast drivers like to swerve into your lane (yea, some believe that a safe pass on the yellow is a capitol offense, and they try to play Judge jury and executioner).

Lets face it there are a million places where a safe pass can be made that is D yellow, those lines have grandma driving a 6000 lbs, 6 cyl Buick trying to pass a tractor trailer in mind. Or the paint truck operator was too lazy to change the settings. There are also places that are marked as passing zones that I will not use, because I do not have what I feel is a good sight line.

Sorry, I trust my eyes, and brain to make safe passes, not some stupid paint line, so throw some flames my way.

i can vividly recall years ago, when living in CT, that what had been a passing zone one day (and had been for years, obviously) had become a no passing zone the next. no change in road, traffic conditions or anything else- jsut the dashes disappeared. it was not the only one, passing zones were disappearing right and left, hither and yon.
i took my first MSF class not much later, and in talking to the instructor, discovered that he worked for CDOT. i asked him, half jokingly, if the reason for the elimination of so many passing zones was due to State of CT using Chevy Chevettes as thier fleet vehicles, and that was what they were using as the basis for their "safety and performance assessments". he said that was indeed the case, and that if the Chevette could not make the pass within the zone, then it was eliminated.
pandering to the slowest common denominator. sheesh!

No issues here with making a safe double-line pass, typically painted arbitrarily by some dude in a truck. Egads, there are dashed line "safe passing zones" all over Colorado where there is no way I would pass because I can't see far enough around the corner or over the rise.

As for mounting locations, top of helmet recordings are too weird, too extreme, with the cam way up there. Side mount on the lower left of the helmet is my favorite helmet mounting location. The suction mount coming with the GoPro really sticks. Find a flat fairing spot on the center lane side of the bike, safety tie it with an old show lace for "just in case", and record away.

...the reason for the elimination of so many passing zones was due to State of CT using Chevy Chevettes as thier fleet vehicles, and that was what they were using as the basis for their "safety and performance assessments". he said that was indeed the case, and that if the Chevette could not make the pass within the zone, then it was eliminated.
pandering to the slowest common denominator. sheesh!

Sheeeeeeeeesh indeed!!!

There are also places that are marked as passing zones that I will not use, because I do not have what I feel is a good sight line.

Same here. I have seen plenty of passing zones that I did not feel were safe because of a poor sight line or hasards on the side of the road. I has no problem with passing on a double yellow if I have enough room and see far enough down the road.
I make the call, not the painted line.

Be careful, there is a correlation between having an accident and having a video camera running. :brow

Thanks to those who recognize a safe pass on a country road. The driver was going very slow and you could see in front of him for a quarter mile.
As for the cam, it's a bit fish-eye. I was going to go for the "2" but didn't. Maybe I'll upgrade.

...or getting a ticket after the fact. Like the guy in Canada who recorded himself going 186 mph on his Yamaha R1. He posted his video on line and got nabbed later. Gotta love technology! :banghead

I want to move this to Gear...It sure isn't an Oilhead only issue
maybe a seperate discussion about that lovely ubiquitous double yellow can start in Just Ridin' . The subject of the original topic sure got over the double yellow anyways:fight

Video taken aboard '02 R1150RT near Healdsburg, CA on 8-18-12:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylb9nU1Jiwg&feature=youtu.be

Video is no longer available to watch. Can you repost?

I haven't yet seen it.

I agree with comments on lines, and add speed limits are sometimes ridiculous too.

However, if you break the rules, no matter how sane you are and how safe it is, if a smokey sees you, you are virtually guaranteed a ticket. Although that sucks and I hate it, you will have to argue with the rule makers, not the folks upholding them. Even though some of the smokeys can be a__holes.

Back