• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Rally Schedule

I am aware of a few options for rally's in Canada -
  1. I believe someone already mentioned about starting smaller scale with organizing one of them MOA getaway weekend rallies.
  2. Do the Canadian clubs currently have weekend rally's during the year? I just looked over the remaining MOA calendar for 2012 and didn't notice any? How about organizing some MOA Club rally's?
  3. I did notice the folks in Mexico have a major "international" event scheduled later this year. Check the MOA calendar.
  4. Get on the BOD and make a difference
The folks in Mexico have it right, put on their own rally, their style. I would be really interested in attending an event in Canada, but would prefer it "Canadian" style not just truck everything up from the States...

Another one of the drawbacks from the vendor sellers/buyers point of view, would be cost of goods sold in Canada vs USA. For example, on another thread, a Canadian rider is looking for a place to purchase a Shoei helmet while in the USA. I asked why, reason is the same helmet, Canada $650; US $508.

I purchased several items at the Sedalia rally, Nolan Helmet, tool set, air pump. Alot of us go to the rally hoping to find a deal, not pay higher prices. :dance

I wonder what a set of tires would cost up there. :dunno

How about the difference in new BMW motorcycles? And it isn't due to the exchange rate. :whistle

How about the difference in new BMW motorcycles? And it isn't due to the exchange rate. :whistle

Absolutely right Bud. The US for years has had some of the lowest prices for BMW's on when adjusting for tariffs, taxes and exchange rates. The discount variance, when compared to German prices for example, has ranged from just under $1K some models to over $5K on others. The company has strong ideas about where to price to build/maintain markets, pricing compared to their competition in a market, sales mix desired while valuing the brand in the process and making a profit. So what is your point in relationship to subject at hand?

Last edited:
I am aware of a few options for rally's in Canada -
  1. I believe someone already mentioned about starting smaller scale with organizing one of them MOA getaway weekend rallies.
  2. Do the Canadian clubs currently have weekend rally's during the year? I just looked over the remaining MOA calendar for 2012 and didn't notice any? How about organizing some MOA Club rally's?
  3. I did notice the folks in Mexico have a major "international" event scheduled later this year. Check the MOA calendar.
  4. Get on the BOD and make a difference
The folks in Mexico have it right, put on their own rally, their style. I would be really interested in attending an event in Canada, but would prefer it "Canadian" style not just truck everything up from the States...

Smaller spin off events may be fine. The topic at hand is a bit bigger. It may never happen for various reasons but would it really hurt to talk about it in a civil manner as has been done so far?

As to the Mexican Rally, if it is the one I am thinking of, it is the national rally for Mexico for a peer organization to the MOA. There is cross membership but the one I am thinking of is their organizations version of the MOA's International Rally.

As to getting on the BoD, I did consider running for the BoD. As a result of that decision and in the process of getting ready several changes have happened in where I live and work as a result; but that is all off topic in this thread. If I had run and had been elected, exploring the issues for a Canadian Rally was one of three key interests I would have tried to explore. I have great respect for the BoD and the various hard working committees. The discussion with very few exceptions has been respectful and constructive so far; showing what the forum is capable of in a positive way. Now I am just a forum member participating a discussion that interests me very much.

Absolutely right Bud. The US for years has had some of the lowest prices for BMW's on when adjusting for tariffs, taxes and exchange rates. The discount variance, when compared to German prices for example, has ranged from just under $1K some models to over $5K on others. The company has strong ideas about where to price to build/maintain markets, pricing compared to their competition in a market, sales mix desired while valuing the brand in the process and making a profit. So what is your point in relationship to subject at hand?

My post was in response to the previous posters comment about the price of tires. I guess it was just as much in relationship to the subject at hand as his post was.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

I don't see this as complaining. I think its a healthy discussion about how obstacles could be overcome to make this a true international rally. No harm in that. And yes, I was in Sedalia. I camped and had a great time.

Jim
True. It's just a discussion,albeit a web one that is a bit short of the ideal way to converse.

Another one of the drawbacks from the vendor sellers/buyers point of view, would be cost of goods sold in Canada vs USA. For example, on another thread, a Canadian rider is looking for a place to purchase a Shoei helmet while in the USA. I asked why, reason is the same helmet, Canada $650; US $508.

I purchased several items at the Sedalia rally, Nolan Helmet, tool set, air pump. Alot of us go to the rally hoping to find a deal, not pay higher prices. :dance
I wonder what a set of tires would cost up there. :dunno
Duh-I think its called currency conversion-I do it often via computer. Stuff gets sold all over the world with varying currencies. I just got a pkg of bike parts from Indonesia & the pstg was 43,000 whatever they were's which converted to something like $6-7 as I recall. I have bought stuff from CA too & was no big deal. As to the complexities of putting on a rally I'll admit ignorance, but surely there is a way to sell in both countries. The real question for vendors, is if it works to do so on an a very occasional basis when there happens to be the big rally there? It's pretty clear that much commerce happens all over the globe.
Mexico has their big rally every year-why not a Canadian one too?

It is a race weekend and must admit I have my competitive juices up. That said and in that context...

In the decade I have owned my current Roadster I have bought my normal season maintenance supplies in bulk from a Canadian dealer because when all was said and done it was cheaper. That has become harder I will admit but suspect that has to do with BMW preventing poaching wars across boarders. My point is there are deals to be made if you shop and opportunities to spend more money than needed. Sounds like the same options on any weekend round of the F-O-L dealers to me.

On the vendor side with help some may be willing to cross the boarder some may not. Conversely Canadian vendors would have a shot to compete when distance and crossing issues have prohibited them in the past.

Are you a shopper? If there still are vendors there would be products to see touch and try on. Buyers may want to wait and do the transaction from home.

International Rally v another 'MOA Event'. Reading through threads over the years I am struck by how many riders make the MOA rally their one motorcycle event. It may turn out to be impossible to pull off but is it so unreasonable to explore doing it in Canada?

The point is what are the issues a member group would have to deal with to put together a proposal to take to the Site Selection Committee and the BoD to host a gathering of members and guests in Canada?

Duh-I think its called currency conversion-I do it often via computer. Stuff gets sold all over the world with varying currencies. I just got a pkg of bike parts from Indonesia & the pstg was 43,000 whatever they were's which converted to something like $6-7 as I recall. I have bought stuff from CA too & was no big deal. As to the complexities of putting on a rally I'll admit ignorance, but surely there is a way to sell in both countries. The real question for vendors, is if it works to do so on an a very occasional basis when there happens to be the big rally there? It's pretty clear that much commerce happens all over the globe.
Mexico has their big rally every year-why not a Canadian one too?

The difference in price is far more than can be explained by currency. I replaced the idle actuators on my bike this spring. I contacted 3 Canadian dealers for quotes. The prices were all different and the cheapest was $278. I then contacted 3 American dealers. The prices were all the same, at $149. I would prefer to use my local dealer, or even another Canadian dealer to avoid the customs fees, but this is ridiculous. The difference for my rear brake rotor was even more.

Jim

I'm the guy..

...buying the helmet in the USA, saving a bunch.

As to tires for my R1200rt, this week I got Metzler Z6 Interacs total $496.72.

Includes $$5 tire disposal (govt) and $11.68 Stewardship which I presume is a dealer charge.

Just FYI

since the 50's, I'm used to about 25% more in Canada, which got huge when our dollar was only about 0.62 of a US dollar. Now at par, the premium still rankles.

But, Medicare and other benefits lets me relax ... A bit. I am lucky I have good health except for one major problem, hopefully behind me, that might have really hurt some Americans much more than the cost of two tires.

The difference in price is far more than can be explained by currency. I replaced the idle actuators on my bike this spring. I contacted 3 Canadian dealers for quotes. The prices were all different and the cheapest was $278. I then contacted 3 American dealers. The prices were all the same, at $149. I would prefer to use my local dealer, or even another Canadian dealer to avoid the customs fees, but this is ridiculous. The difference for my rear brake rotor was even more.

Jim
Nothing new as to price variation on parts from various sources, no matter the country & price structure is more complicated than naming a few prices too. Many from CA buy here & many from US buy there, it varies with the item but obviously a larger number of dealers for most things here as just more pop in USA.

Not to go political but my Medicare is (I think) still less than $100 per month and takes care of me well. I have lots of provider choices & great coverage. Only becomes an issue when we travel abroad, like to a CA rally.HA
I'm not surprised to hear prices are generally higher in CA-less competition there!

That's your Medigap. Medicare pays the other 80% of the cost.

/ mod hat on /

Folks, steer clear of getting into topics that don't really pertain to the original thread. We don't need to get into the medical programs around the world.

Thanks...

/ mod hat off /

I deleted my post re: my retiree healthcare.

:dunno Importantly though, in a discussion about a CA rally I was thinking that in the case of rally travel to CA that many of those from USA that might likely attend & would be the bulk of those attending, they would not be covered by health insurance unless they spend extra money,thus it is a factor for a high risk activity like MC's. When I go to Mexico I buy a travel policy.
Seriously, & w/o political reference, if an accident, will a CA ambulance haul me/you in & treat me @ the emergency room?

It does a rider good to check what their insurance covers and how it does it even when traveling state to state. I suspect many will be surprised at what is 'covered' in state becomes a 'reimbursable out of pocket expense', caps on expenses covered that mean nothing in state that become issues (no matter where) when out of state - bike or health.

Risk assessment and how to deal with it will vary from person to person.

I deleted my post re: my retiree healthcare.

:dunno Importantly though, in a discussion about a CA rally I was thinking that in the case of rally travel to CA that many of those from USA that might likely attend & would be the bulk of those attending, they would not be covered by health insurance unless they spend extra money,thus it is a factor for a high risk activity like MC's. When I go to Mexico I buy a travel policy.
Seriously, & w/o political reference, if an accident, will a CA ambulance haul me/you in & treat me @ the emergency room?

I was involved in an accident in Canada many years ago. They picked me up and took me to the ER w/o questions regarding coverage.

YMMV

Last edited:
I was involved in an accident in Canada many years ago. They picked me up and took me to the ER w/o questions regarding coverage.

YMMV

I was going to post something similar. I had a colleague who had the same experience a couple decades ago.

Prior to Medicare , my KY state provided health insurance ALWAYS! covered emergencies only out of my state, let alone out of country.

Back