• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Rally Schedule

lloving

lloving
Anyone have a comment on the new rally schedule? I may not fully understand the rotation but it looks like us folks in the east don't get the rally back in our area until 2016, five years from the last one in Bloomsburg, PA.

No comment other than that seems it is the way it worked out with the change from 6 to 4 zones.

Another Possibility

First, let me say that I trust the decision by our board as I believe this was not a decision made in haste.

When I was teaching music we had a yearly conference here in Pennsylvania. It rotated from eastern PA (Philadelphia) to central PA (Hershey) to western PA (Pittsburgh) and then back to central (Hershey). This four year rotation assured that every other year the conference would be in the middle of the state.

If applied to our national perhaps the countries (yes, Canada too) could have been divided into three segments with the rotation moving west- central- east- central then begin the rotation again. It would mean that for members on the east or west coast a long trip (longer vacation time or missed rally) might occur just once in a four year rotation.

Just a thought.

Bill

Well Bill, from reading the Sedalia thread I'd say that they would be thrilled to have us there every other year! Once we have a spot as ideal as that, why not use it more than once?

When I was on the BOD I once suggested we have a selection of "super sites" in each zone.

We could rotate from zone to zone with some repeats. To not repeat the selected site would have to be equal or better than the super site.

I would go back to Sedalia.

There are a lot of people wouldn't. I have three friends who went and they said they wouldn't go back. We live in cool twisty roaded mountains and they said there was no good riding there. They go to every National and always come home to enjoy our local roads.

There are a lot of people wouldn't. I have three friends who went and they said they wouldn't go back. We live in cool twisty roaded mountains and they said there was no good riding there. They go to every National and always come home to enjoy our local roads.

I don't want to :fight but, I thought there were some pretty damn good roads out that way. Granted it wasn't East Tennessee, North Jawja or North Carolina but Missouri had some decent roads.

I agree,and live in the north Georgia mountains. We have twisty roads,but so does Missouri. I thought the area was so nice I spent a few days more in MO. There are some great sights,and some interesting rock formations(elephant rocks)and lots of springs and forests.With good riding between them.

Yup, I'd go back. Get 45 minutes to an hour south if Sedalia and the riding is good. (to me that's great as I'm 3 hours from much of anything on a normal basis. In Sedalia I could do some good riding before breakfast! :) )

It appears that the rotation is designed to allow no further than a two-zone trip to a rally ever other year. I'm on the east coast (New England, Zone 4)), so in 2014 I'll have a two-zone trip but in 2016 the rally will be "in-zone". The one-zone/two-zone distance feature applies to all zones, but in different years of rotation. So, the new rotation seems to be fair...but only from an east/west perspective.

Not stated is the north/south perspective...

Check out the new zone map:

aaa_top_Four_Zone_Map-616x359.jpg

Note that the riding distance from the north of Zone IV to the south of Zone IV is a actually 3 "riding zone" trip! So, even though the Rally may be "in-zone" to your location (east/west) it may actually be 3 "riding zones" away (north/south).

I would suggest that the Rally's zone rotation should also consider its north/south siting aspect. Considering Zone IV as an example, its "in-zone" years will be 2016, 2020, 20024 and 2028. Rotating the north/south in-zone locations in those years might result in a NY location in 2016, a GA location in 2020, a PA location in 2024, and a SC location in 2028.

Further, I suggest that when the Site Committee is evaluating criteria for sites, they take into account its proximity to either the north-central or south-central halves of each of the 4 Zones.

TIA,

Back