• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Rally Schedule

I did attend the Trenton Rally and had a good time.

In the summer, I like the idea of heading north rather than south because that's generally where the more comfortable weather is. I have also traveled in Canada and enjoy the differences in culture and scenery.

As someone mentioned, perhaps consulting with a "customs broker" or some type of Canadian expert might smooth the way for vendors and others.

My experiences have been that entering Canada is easier than returning to the US, with the exception of the friendlier small crossings across northern New England, as opposed to the urban crossings like Niagara Falls.

Canada should not be ruled out as a rally site.

Harry

Not sure what it would take to have 100% confidence that I wouldn't be turned away at the border.

1.7 billion dollars in trade cross the US/Canada border every day. This ranges from the Detroit 3 auto makers to small mom and pop bakeries delivering bread to market.

It is not hard. First thing, just as a vacationer shouldn't try to cross without a passport, don't try and bring commercial goods across without the correct type of commercial entry documents. If you don't have the wherewithal to do the work for yourself, that is what a customs broker is for. If the documentation is correct, there is 0% chance you "will be turned away".

Try the US and Canadian border agency websites. They are loaded with information on how to facilitate commercial enterprise.

The concept of your business is the exact same as any rock band, film crew or circus that crosses with its own materiel fully intending to export those goods upon the conclusion of business. It is done every day! Google "carnet de passage" for a start. You can get one from a chamber of commerce.

Just because you don't know how to do it now, doesn't mean it can't be done, or is difficult to manage.

1.7 billion dollars in trade cross the US/Canada border every day. This ranges from the Detroit 3 auto makers to small mom and pop bakeries delivering bread to market.

It is not hard. First thing, just as a vacationer shouldn't try to cross without a passport, don't try and bring commercial goods across without the correct type of commercial entry documents. If you don't have the wherewithal to do the work for yourself, that is what a customs broker is for. If the documentation is correct, there is 0% chance you "will be turned away".

Try the US and Canadian border agency websites. They are loaded with information on how to facilitate commercial enterprise.

The concept of your business is the exact same as any rock band, film crew or circus that crosses with its own materiel fully intending to export those goods upon the conclusion of business. It is done every day! Google "carnet de passage" for a start. You can get one from a chamber of commerce.

Just because you don't know how to do it now, doesn't mean it can't be done, or is difficult to manage.

I am a one man operation (though my wife handles the books and helps pack the trailers). I have no doubt I can figure it out, I've worked foreign military sales for the gov't for several years.

Big corporations learn and press on. If a shipment fails the first time, they have resources and time to rectify the issue. They can plan and ship early in order to have time to react.

I would have no time and insignificant resources to resolve any serious issues. I still have a day job and no time to make a trial run across the border prior to the rally.

I simply can't take the chance I screwed up somewhere and can't cross the border, that would mean an end to the business I spent eight years building.

Last edited:
As a vendor doing a show in Canada is completely impracticable which is why you don't see many other vendors venturing across the border. The MOA national simply isn't big enough to warrant the expense of an exporting license and the documentation of ALL the products that you would sell and the duty of those products if sold. The vast majority ( I would think 90%) of vendors attending the MOA are very small business owners with less then 10 employees. If it wasn't a big deal the International Motorcycle show would have shows there. There's a reason they don't. I don't see how the MOA could apply for any type of license and be responsible for each vendor. The liability of this would be tremendous and I doubt that it would be legal.
I think if you have a MOA national in Canada it would have to be supported by Canadian vendors.

as with changing the date of the rally, holding it in Canada is something the vendors don't want so it won't happen. it doesn't matter what the membership wants, the vendors and BOD decide when and where the rally will be held.

I'd love for it to be different as well but unfortunately, it isn't. The Return To Trenton rally is on my list to attend. But those companies you mention have the where-with-all to make the effort. And the smaller companies (you mention bread bakers) who do the cross-boarder thing do it every day, not once every 8 years and have the advantage of familiarity.

as with changing the date of the rally, holding it in Canada is something the vendors don't want so it won't happen. it doesn't matter what the membership wants, the vendors and BOD decide when and where the rally will be held.
Start another poll and lets see if vendors are important to the national and we'll see how that one goes.

I think the MOA and its members need to take the vendor's concerns and challenges into consideration when planning an event. The vendors who cater to the BMW crowd are already small and difficult to locate. Many are small companys that depend on the rally for a substantial part of their yearly sales and to make people aware of their business so they can increase their non-rally sales throughout the year. If the location or timing of the rally makes it more expensive or difficult for them to participate, they may not survive or expand. That is a loss to all of us.

To many BMW specific vendors, the ability to sell at the rally is as important as a toy store selling during Christmas.

1.7 billion

It is much, much different when you plan on crossing with materiel that you intend to sell while in Canada.

So difficult that many of the smaller and even some of the larger vendors said never again.

It is much, much different when you plan on crossing with materiel that you intend to sell while in Canada.

So difficult that many of the smaller and even some of the larger vendors said never again.

I was in that case addressing the specific case quoted. I do this stuff for a living.

Selling is different as you point out, but once again not insurmountable.

A separate concern is that some brands/products have distribution agreements allocated with different holders to the rights in Canada and the US. A US vendor would not be allowed to violate the distribution rights of a Canadian licence holder by selling in Canada. They would have to be aware of whether they held the rights to sell the product outside of the US. This would apply principally to some of the large European accessory companies, but there are US manufacturers who have sold the rights to their product to a Canadian distributor, as well.

Some of this stuff is simpler than people are making out, but there are angles such as this that must also be considered.

1346890069.jpg

The site selection process has been explained many times over.

You may wish to make it something that it is not, but that won't change the reality. No matter where the rally was, or wasn't held, someone would be unhappy. You can never please everyone.

Once again I commend the BOD for their hard work and effort.

Show of hands please, how many complaining about the rally site and wanting an event in Canada actually showed up for this one? :violin

I didn't show up. I have been to Sedalia, MO more times than I can count & it is definitely not an exciting destination for me.Certainly not on my bucket list. My hand is up for Canada. Canada, on the other hand is a beautiful place, clean & scenic, with much to do outdoors too. I can accept that the rally has been tried there before & fraught with problems. I have no clue the level of expertise applied to make it happen either. The level of commerce between these 2 countries cause one to question why it isn't possible. There are far more entries than just General Motors doing this crossing. Sherpa has not tried a broker? Maybe this is the one he has to miss and go as a rally person? If it happens again, there is a VG chance I'll ride there as long as they don't pick a wheatfield on the prairie to hold it.
There is obviously a lot that could be said about the specifics of what goods/items can cross & the prior effort needed to get them across w/o undue hassle.

Last edited:
If Canada were considered...

Even though this would be a bit of a snub for the usual vendors, could an international, annual BMW MOA rally be held in Canada with only Canadian vendors? You'd still have the issue of your average attendees doing the border crossing, but U.S. vendors would have no worries because...they wouldn't be there.

Just thinking out loud.

Frankly, I can't imagine going through the process that the folks who pick the rally sites. Hats off to 'em.

Show of hands please, how many complaining about the rally site and wanting an event in Canada actually showed up for this one? :violin

I don't see this as complaining. I think its a healthy discussion about how obstacles could be overcome to make this a true international rally. No harm in that. And yes, I was in Sedalia. I camped and had a great time.

Jim

Even though this would be a bit of a snub for the usual vendors, could an international, annual BMW MOA rally be held in Canada with only Canadian vendors? You'd still have the issue of your average attendees doing the border crossing, but U.S. vendors would have no worries because...they wouldn't be there.

Just thinking out loud.

Frankly, I can't imagine going through the process that the folks who pick the rally sites. Hats off to 'em.

The U.S. vendors wouldn't have anything to worry about other than staying in business. Many depend on the rally for a large part of their sales and for exposure.

Another one of the drawbacks from the vendor sellers/buyers point of view, would be cost of goods sold in Canada vs USA. For example, on another thread, a Canadian rider is looking for a place to purchase a Shoei helmet while in the USA. I asked why, reason is the same helmet, Canada $650; US $508.

I purchased several items at the Sedalia rally, Nolan Helmet, tool set, air pump. Alot of us go to the rally hoping to find a deal, not pay higher prices. :dance

I wonder what a set of tires would cost up there. :dunno

It seems to me the cross-border problems experienced with Trenton had more to do with homework not having been done than any true obstacle. This is the reason for my initial post, asking if the BOD and Site Selection Committee would be willing to work with a small group of people eager to work through the issues.

First, I would identify the types of people that would be crossing the border:

1) Rally attendee
2) Vendor
3) Service provider
4) Other?

Once we had identified all the types of people crossing the border, we would work with the Canadian Border Services Agency to prepare a package for each group that explained exactly what needed to be done. For rally attendees, this would include what you can / can't bring into Canada such as firearms and radar detectors, limits on purchases made within Canada, etc. For Vendors, this would include information about the right to sell goods in Canada, how to get goods into, and back out of Canada. For service providers (such as the MOA setup crew and Sherpa Ted) this would include information on how to get your equipment into and back out of Canada.

I would also expect this same group of people to be available to answer any questions attendees, vendors or service providers had as they read their package, and to help review the materials for anyone that wanted to ensure there would be no drama at the border.

Sorry for taking one more swing at this, but I think its worth it.

Jim

Another one of the drawbacks from the vendor sellers/buyers point of view, would be cost of goods sold in Canada vs USA. ...

I will assume this is not just an obstructionist question. While interesting can you tell us what the rate of exchange (currently $1 CA = $1.016 US) is when the rally is being held? Are the orders cash and carry? What taxes and rates apply?

Before you can even begin to answer those questions you have to know when the Canadian rally will be held. To do that you have to go through several of the exercises suggested here to put flesh out and put a proposal together for consideration by the appropriate committees and the BoD.

Back