• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lake of the Ozarks vs Tyson?

greenwald

Have a planned ride in late September to the Lake of the Ozarks area in MO, along with stops at Anamosa, IA, Hannibal, MO, Branson, MO and the Gateway Arch.

Problem is: one of the guys going along is presently at the HOG Rally in Wausau, Wi right now and just zapped me a cautionary e-mail that he spoke with some riders recently returned from that area.

Said the stench from Tyson Chicken farms so bad, you can't decently enjoy the region.

Anyone out there with personal experience of the area?? :scratch

Thanks - Kevin

What area? You're talkin hundreds of miles between Anamosa, IA and Branson, MO. Tyson Farms aren't that big.

Pish posh. I live down here and ride the MO AR area ALL the time. Yes, the chicken houses do stink, but not for miles and miles! Its not the Tyson plant, (there are several chicken plants around here) that stinks, its the chicken houses, and they just smell like 'the country'.

Doesn't smell any worse than riding past a dairy barn, a hog lot, or a horse stable.

Now what does smell is the Geritol odor whafting from the Strip in Branson!:):hungover

Don't know about the stench in Iowa though..

Last edited:
And about the Gateway Arch. Great place, go during the week to avoid the crowd. And remember, it is a National Park, with similar security to that of any National Monument. NO knives, tools or anything else! Leave it at the bike. Im not sure about helmets, may want to check that out before you go. The elevators to the top are SMALL!

Kevin, the riding in the Ozarks is great! I live in the E.KY mtns and the general difference is that in the Ozarks there are lots of curves too but the riding , even in the woods is a bit more open . Road quality is decent & lots to choose from . Lots of roly poly & really fun to ride. My people are from S.MO & N. AR and I personally prefer AR and all the mtn areas of that state. If you have ridden in the "kettle" area of SE WI it is sort of similar but far less! large farm fields. The state of AR promotes riding and has touring materials available too. Areas like Branson will be heavy with tourists on the weekends and during fall colors-you will miss that time. FWIW, the fall colors here in E.KY exceed the Ozarks by fa & are equal to New England in our best years.Being from KS I fished that whole area for many years, also visiting my relatives there too so very familiar place.
My 1st choice would be to shoot for the NW AR quadrant of that state while cruising a bit of the SW corner and center of the extreme S area of MO. As to Tyson, not something to worry, a non concern period! I went to college in Emporia,KS -dorm just down the road from a huge feedlot and the wind decided if it was a good day to open the window, or not! At your speed it wont matter.

I ride a bicycle right by a couple of confined poultry houses. Breathing deep and all. Once or twice in 10 years has the odor been bad enough to take an alternate route, both times they were cleaning the house out.

Non issue. Honestly, I got spattered with some kind of bug in the helmet vent last night that smelled worse. I have no idea what kind of bug, but damn, it was stinky. I had to wash the helmet liner

Rod

I ride a bicycle right by a couple of confined poultry houses. Breathing deep and all. Once or twice in 10 years has the odor been bad enough to take an alternate route, both times they were cleaning the house out.

Non issue. Honestly, I got spattered with some kind of bug in the helmet vent last night that smelled worse. I have no idea what kind of bug, but damn, it was stinky. I had to wash the helmet liner

Rod

Probably a "STINK BUG"

I and two other riding buddies 'pulling the trigger' and riding down to Lake of the Ozarks region (among other destinations) Sept. 29 - Oct. 3.

Thanks for all the feedback.

One last big ride! :thumb

Have fun. if you go to branson try to get on down to Eureka springs, some excellent roads and a very eclectic tourist trap.

Rod

Have fun. if you go to branson try to get on down to Eureka springs, some excellent roads and a very eclectic tourist trap.

Rod

Thanks! That turned out to be great advice. After stops at J & P Cycles in Anamosa, IA and Mark Twain's boyhood home and haunts in Hanibal, MO, the three of us had a relaxing time in the Lake of the Ozarks region - no 'odors' or other problems. Just scenic rding around so many bodies of water. Even went horseback riding for an hour in nearby Ozark State Park.

Once near Branson (which we only stopped at for fuel), we rode to Toad Suck, Arkansas (don't ask), and also to Eureka Springs. A very unique shopping village - worth a more lengthy re-visit some day.

The route from Eureka Springs, AR back to Hwy 65 followed State HWY 23 and then Hwy 86 - awesome twisties - reminded me of The Dragon (although The Dragon is safer due to no intersecting roads or driveways).

Had a good time (supper at Lambert's Cafe north of Branson a hoot!) - 2,000+ miles in 5 days with memorable scenery and good weather! :dance

Last edited:
Hiway 23 and 86 are some fine roads! And you are right about Eureka Springs. I go there quite often and always find something new to look at each time I go! It is quite the 'people watching' spot on the warm weather week ends!

Back