• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What to bring on a big trip!

dadayama

So i have been on some 4 or 5 day trips.... but i have a trip coming up that may last long as 14 days and i am wondering what i should bring...?

This will be about 800 miles of asphalt to get to the beautiful state of Colorado, then mostly dirt through Colorado then hitting the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route. Then of course asphalt back home to Oklahoma.

I have seen pics and lists of things people bring on trips, but i know that it seems like to me that i can leave half of what i bring at home and i should have brought the one thing i left at home...

Any suggestions?

Oh yeah... camping almost most of the way... but eating out of stores (not backpacking)...

The Utah Backcountry Discovery Route

For remote back-country riding, my fave is an MSR Dromedary... you never have to worry about water.

You can attach different nozzles to drink, pour or shower.

dromedary_bag_shower_kit.jpg

Ian

Unfortunately, I think that you have to read the lists that others use, pick and chose travel items, go on a trip and decide what works and doesn't work for you. Post offices will mail items home for you that aren't needed and a credit card will pickup the item that you really should have taken. I've put a little over 100,000 miles on the bikes since 2005 and what I take seems to vary with the trip (trip length, location, time of year, which tent, camping vers motels etc.). You will only learn what is going to work for you by actually taking a trip, even if it should be a weekend practice run to a local campsite or out to the highway and them back to your backyard.

One thing that I have learned is to leave space in the panniers, allowing them to easily close. Once you are on the road, somehow stuff requires more room and the cases become a real struggle to close.

Have a great ride. You have chosen some beautiful states to ride through! :thumb

One thing that I have learned is to leave space in the panniers, allowing them to easily close. Once you are on the road, somehow stuff requires more room and the cases become a real struggle to close.

I usually end up repacking and gain space as the trip goes on.

So i have been on some 4 or 5 day trips.... but i have a trip coming up that may last long as 14 days and i am wondering what i should bring...?

We pack the same for a 3 week trip as we do for 5 days. Our longest trip was 5.5 weeks to Alaska and don't remember taking anything more than we do on a short trip.

i have a trip coming up that may last long as 14 days and i am wondering what i should bring...?

As little as possible.

I'm on the road overseas (not like I can stop in at home and get something I forgot) for 6 weeks at a time.

After the first time, I've learned to make travel checklists of things to pack, and in no time, I found out what I need and what is dead weight. I have various checklists for different types of touring based on where I am heading.

Just did that;

Rode across country, 18 days straight camping and rode the Colorado and Utah wilderness offroading on my GSA1200. The ELK Ridge Wilderness area of Utah is NEAT riding SW of Moab. The RMNP backcountry to the Summit is very neat dirt ride in Colorado with ELK so BIG takes your breathe away as you approach'em. Less clothes(self/camp wash what you got more)/more drinking water on board is REALLY good for backcountry travel. Carry filter to make your own water to drink, if need be. Extra selective tools, tire plugs and electric pump, Quick setup easy tent(good one), I carry a shade shelter as in Kelty Noah 9X9, more tools I like, EXTRA gasoline carry ability, depending on your bikes ability to get lost... I even carry extra gas on my GSA, when in the wilderness! Small, Simple one burner stove is a must. "Baby Wipes", another must for my less than perfect, no shower wilderness camping needs. They make an incredible quick body cleanup. It works almost as good as a shower:). These are sold in various size packs everywhere and last for months if self sealed up right in package. A weapon of choice, controversial but required in the backcountry especially! I use a long 9" blade knife, multipurpose tool indeed for most camping chores and a "almost never needed" self protecting device from critters. You get this close, its a likely BAD thing:(, but I have my knife! Some prefer guns and thats ok too, but BEWARE fire danger with shooting and use it wisely, VERY wisely, as shooting laws exist and heard far away.. There ARE critters, so camp wisely and cleanup/pickup things before you sleep!!! I find this the most rewarding experiences on the bike, exploring less traveled byways and almost NO PEOPLE there in the wilderness. Its a very interesting/self enchanting time, out there alone. You will learn a lot about your abilities, so just be prepared to survive. Your water supply is paramount. Best to ya, Randy"Polarbear"

Thanks for all the info so far... I have taken note of it all. I think i will on this trip bring my water filter, though i have never used it. I went to the the suggested thread and read over the giant, giant camping list... but at least it gives you ideas of what you might want to bring...

Thanks again...

peter

Make a pile of the minimum stuff you think you need, then divide it into 2 piles and leave one home. You will still be over packed.

So the plan is a couple of days to get to the starting point in Colorado all state highways, then meat up with some folks then it is dirt for a couple of days. We then head from southern Colorado to Moab and from there take the UTBDR all the way to the northern border where it ends... then 2 or 3 days to get back home...So looking at about two weeks... I'm taking in all that every one suggest.

Thank you...

The UTBDR...

i'm about to take my r 1200 rt across country, leaving around sept 5th. as a new forum member i'd like to start a new thread for the trip. i can't find the new thread button. any help is appreciated. not sure if this is the appropriate way to go about this. if not, please accept my apologies.

Sept5, my BDay:)

Have a good cross USA trip, starting on a good day:). We all tend to pack way too much stuff, always thinking "I need that" and rarely using it(if at all) along the way! Mine are tools, cooking stuff and usually too much clothing. I like my tools along, mostly NOT using them, cook out maybe 3-4 times in a several week journey and always carry too many clothes! Can I learn? Probably not after a lifetime of this:). Bigger saddlebags, more seems better(NOT):) Randy:thumb

Use/wear underwear that's easy to wash out-many brands that are good.Same for other clothes-many trips later I actually get fairly close to not packing too many clothes & not forgetting the important ones. Good luck!

Thanks for all the info so far... I have taken note of it all. I think i will on this trip bring my water filter, though i have never used it. I went to the the suggested thread and read over the giant, giant camping list... but at least it gives you ideas of what you might want to bring...

Thanks again...

peter
From the voice of an unpleasant experience: Don't use a water filter that lacks a virus feature. It cost me 1/3 my kidney function! Many out there & in common use only do Chripto & Giardia. sp., so beware.

Another neat idea is to hide an extra key on your bike. Believe it or not: I did this a year ago when I got on a combo of "make your wallet smaller" & "how to hide a key on your bike in an ideal spot" & last time bike was in my shop- I CANNOT FIND THE KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After taking apart every light and the list goes on, I gave in & ordered a spare blank on ebay from Hong Kong for $2.55 pstg pd this week.

Back