• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Best Bike Ever

Birddog51

With all the post about problems with the K1600s I just wanted to say that I have over 12,000 miles on mine and with the exception of a waterpump I've had no issues at all. Everything on the bike works great. In my opinion it is the best bike money can buy. Its a pure joy every time I get to ride it. I've owned other brands of motorcycles {Harleys,Hondas} and have ridden others and nothing comes close to the K1600 BMW. Tom

When I think about how much this thing cost, it kind of freaks me out, but then I realize that for me, this is the finest motorcycle I've ever ridden. I've ridden Suzuki, Honda, Moto Guzzi, Kawi, Triumph, Harley Davidson, an RT and an LT and enjoyed them all. :bikes But this GTL is pure pleasure for me - just the right combination of power, smoothness, handling, responsiveness, comfort and stylishness.

I know different people have different needs and ideals in motorcycles, but for me, this one is just about perfect. You would think, however, for that kind of money, they could have installed a real horn. ;)

Msrp on fully loaded GTL is 26045. What you get off of that depends on dealer, etc. For preorder bikes they didn't negotiate much.

I have to agree 100%. I've got about 5,000 miles on my K1600GT since January delivery and it is what Steve Jobs would have called a "magical" motorcycle. Here's an example of why I say that: In June of this year, I left Annapolis at 5am and rode nearly 600 miles of mostly interstate to jump off in Tennessee to 129. Then, in the same day that afternoon, road another 100 miles of twisties including Deals Gap and other great roads before checking in to the hotel in Murphy NC. I was actually looking forward to jumping back on the bike to ride it out to a local steak house and could have kept riding for hours more.

With the programmable ESA II suspension it'll glide down the highway in complete bluetooth, heated tush/hands, silky smooth comfort for hours on end. Then, with the adjustment of few multi-controller options, it becomes the hairy chested, very powerful, even flickable, hot snot terrain following missile with the heart of a hooligan bike.

The next day, I spent the entire day chasing a local leathered up super sport rider on roads so much better than 129 and was glued to his back tire and could have passed if I'd known where the heck we were going :) That's definitely not meant as any brag on my skills (they're OK but not competitive) but rather how easy it is to ride this amazing bike really hard like a sport bike and have it reward you with asking for more.

I almost bought a new VFR 1200F DCT due to the long wait for my bike. I could have bought the viffer and a naked liter bike for what I paid for my K16GT. Now that I've got half a year and some time in the hillbilly twisties on my GT I can honestly say that I wouldn't trade my bike for two of anything else.

Best bike ever - aye.

I suppose it would be interesting. Let's see what it's like in 20 years. Our 1992 K1100LT may not suck on the exhaust of a sport bike but it does exactly what we want very reliably. Original FD, same water pump, lots of luggage space, two up is not issue, not 'dealer reliant', some after market stuff that I rigged up and..... and.... it has a personality. Decided to put my $21,000 into a motorhome :whistle :laugh
I think that the early Ks are becoming the second generation 'simple by choice' model. - Bob

Back