• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW bikes with factory cruise control?

SpudmanK1600GT

Howdy -
I purchased a new K1600GT earlier this year and absolutely love it. I swapped bikes with a buddy on a ride a few weeks back and he was amazed at the power & handling of my 1600. Today, he told me he was looking at some used BMW adventure-type bikes but was bummed because he couldn't find any that came with cruise control right from the factory. I love the fact that my bike has it....I was wondering if anyone could tell me which current and/or recent BMW models offered cruise control as a standard item or option right from the factory.
Thanks for the help!

K1200RS/GT 2002-2005 with the brick engine, K1200LT, K1200/1300GT with the slant 4 engine.
R1200RT.

Estimating German logic, my guess is none of the GS series bikes are equipped with cruise control because they have off-road capability. Since they are marketed to go off road, likely the Germans don't give the ride the option of cruise control because you don't want to use cruise control on uneven surfaces and varying traction conditions.

, my guess is none of the GS series bikes are equipped with cruise control because they have off-road capability. .

It still surprises me that the GS does not have cruise, because most of these bikes are also used as touring bikes.

The new Triumph Explorer has electronic cruise and that's is, to me, a major draw of that bike.

There is an Australian company that sells electronic cruise controls for a variety of bikes and other vehicles. I bought one for the K1100RS that I used for my IBA 50CC ride back in 2002. Very handy when you need to pile on the miles.

The market is driving this. When the head of US motorcycles was asked whether the new GS would hace cruise control, his comments were along the lines of BMWAG has been well aware of the demand for CC on the GS, and with the new bike's electronics it would be silly to not include CC on the wethead GS.

Manual vs electric;

I had the factory electric CC for years on the KLT1200, loved it, used it a lot and it never failed me. My newer GSA1200 came without it, but I added the Kaoko manual CC and "do not miss" the electric one. This manual one works very efficiently and equally user friendly to my liking:). Its what you need and like best, I guess. Having both in recent years, I cannot pick one over the other as better and I use'em a lot. I don't miss the electric windscreen either, which on the KLT was used a LOT, no issues. I hear the new GSA will have that too. This WILL break on GSAs used offroad, so I suspect it should be left OFF those most adventurous types bikes. Heck, it breaks on the RTs! Turning a GSA into a road pig is a mistake! Its VERY fine as is. Randy

Turning a GSA into a road pig is a mistake! Its VERY fine as is. Randy

I have wondered about this too but the reality is that roads throughout the Americas have improved dramatically since the first R1100GS came out. My part of northern Mexico has Interstate quality toll roads linking most cities, yet you still need skid plates and crash bars for the occasional nasty transition off the road and into parking lots and so forth.

Turning the big GS into more of a hardened road bike and offering the Husqvarna and various 650, 700, and 800 bikes as a lighter touring bike with knobbies probably makes tons of sense for BMW - many of us will buy two bikes.

Back