• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What is the proper windscreen height?

What would be the best windscreen height to buy?

• The 21.5ÔÇØ windscreen is best

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • The 24ÔÇØ windscreen is best

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (see comments)

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I need some advice on getting the proper size windscreen for my R100 RT. IÔÇÖm looking to get the Clearview shield with the 5 position vent. (http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=19) The windscreen comes in three sizes (19ÔÇØ, 21.5ÔÇØ, and 24ÔÇØ). IÔÇÖm tall at a bit over 6 feet. I used ClearviewÔÇÖs method of choosing the right sized screen (http://clearviewshields.com/shop/correctshield.php), and another one I located online. Both were similar except one had me looking at an object 50 feet in front of me and the other had me looking between 40 feet and 60 feet (I think). The end result seems be a tossup between the 21.5ÔÇØ and 24ÔÇØ. The 21.5ÔÇØ could be a bit small, which would put my head more in the air stream causing more noise. The 24ÔÇØ could be too tall, which could be an issue when the screen gets condensation/mist. For those of you unaware of the adjustments available on the RT, there is a small bit of adjustments (up and down) that can be made to the windscreen on the bike. The 21.5ÔÇØ is screen would be adjusted all the way up, while the 24ÔÇØ would be adjusted all the way down.

IÔÇÖve listed what I could think of that would relevant.

So, what advice do others have in choosing the proper size windscreen? I would like to get as much air flow as possible, but would like to minimize wind noise.

I believe you will find height measuring methods on the Cee Bailey site and the California Scientific site, too. Don't know how those compare. My feeling is they are in the educated guess area. See if whoever you are buying from has a free exchange policy. Pretty sure CalSci will exchange free if you haven't peeled the protective film off the screen.

Otherwise it's by guess and by golly.

pete

I believe the answer to be highly subjective. IMHO, proper windshield height will allow you to comfortably look over the top of the windshield to a point about 20' or so in front of you.

This means there are many variables: seat height, torso length, suspension pre-load setting, and windshield position to name a few. What's good for me probably won't work for you. Look at the information referred to in the second post above, then YOU decide.

Last edited:
Windshield Height

As a start point I had a supplier tell me to sit on the bike off the center and side stand; loaded as I usually travel, and take measurement from some point to the bottom of my chin and to the tip of my nose. Then buy a windshield at the length that could come between these two measurements. They told me 95% of riders would find this to be an acceptable height. It worked on two different brands for my recent purchases.

If you're the size of the standard BMW rider, it's the size of the standard BMW windshield. Raise accordingly.

My R1150R had a Givi flyscreen on it when purchased & I then rode the bike home 1250k & knew the whole way that it was about looks not performance. I sold it online & people were sort of fighting over it-raised enough $ to pay for brackets and Cee Bailey medium & practical touring WS. How tall is the rider matters & to many it's about "having the right look". The "look" matters not to me so you are into asthetics and/or function here.

This 5'7.5" (short) guy ordered the tallest windscreen (with the vent) from Clearview ; mounted it and then drew some removable lines on the windscreen. After riding the K for a week, I was able to narrow down the exact height that I wanted. Went to a local plastics company and for $15 or $25 (forget) they cut and contoured the screen to my request. I would assume if you wished to save the additional cutting fee, a search would give directions for the cutting but I preferred to have people who work with plastics do the work for me.

Sitting level on your bike, project a line stright out from your nose. I like my windscreen 2" below that point. But keep in mind everyone likes something differant.

Jeff:
I also bought a windshield from clearviewshields. I'm 6'4" and to minimize the wind noise I choose one that put my eyes just over the windshield. If you get the one with the 5 way vent you will get some air flow so I would go for a taller windshield. Just my opinion.

You could just pick up the phone and call Charlie or his wife at Parabellum, they will take the time to answer all your questions.
Then provide you with a great product, if it is not the right height for you , they have a guarantee program and will allow you a replacement if I remember correctly.

Not quite the responses I was looking for, but it does seem like I've got some good course of action to take.

Thanks for the input.

I want to see above the screen so that I can look at the ground 20 feet in front of me without looking through glass. I have an Aeroflow Sport on my 12GS, and when I'm in a normal sitting posture it comes up to the same point as my upper lip.

One thing to remember is the length of your inseam. Many screen manufacturers (Aeroflow is one of them) recommend screen heights based on a rider's height. I'm 6'0' tall, and for that height Aeroflow's web site recommended a medium height screen. But I only have a 30" inseam, so my torso is long and I sit relatively tall in the saddle. After a very good email discussion with the Aeroflow people, I bought the large screen and it works perfectly.

Back