• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

East Coast Loop Recommendations?

PittsDriver

Fuse lit....
I'm wondering if I could kindly impose upon my forum friends here for some routing ideas for a touring type ride we're planning for this September? It's basically a big east coast loop that we're going to try to get done in about a week so there should be some time for finding good roads and some sights along the way.

pitts-albums-pitts-pics-picture720-falll-route.jpg

The mountains between Maryland and north Georgia we all know pretty well and that route is pretty much defined. I'm looking for recommendations in NW PA, New York around Niagra, and the route through Canada over to Copper Harbor MI. We'll probably just stick to the Mississippi Valley on the way down to St. Louis - there are guys on the ride that have family stops to make along that way.

So any thoughts? Any "don't miss" roads, places to stay/eat, etc?

Wes

If you swing through western MD up in to PA, the Laurel Highlands area is really nice.

In NY, you can't go wrong in the Adirondaks as far as I can tell. And if you've never been to Niagara, head for the Canadian side and spring for a great hotel room overlooking the falls. It's worth the $$$, in my opinion.

Thanks guys. We'd love to have more time but we think it's doable if we don't spend too much time bird watching. It'll be a couple of 6-800 mile days but mostly easy 400 mile or less days to enjoy the scenery. I've never been through that NW corner of PA before and there's some interesting looking parks there. Just wondering if anyone would consider that area good sport bike country?

How about the ride from Niagra up through Sudbury and over to the Michigan upper pen? Anything interesting there?

Once north of the boarder, you should consider heading up to Owen Sound and Tobermory. There is a ferry crossing there to Manitoulin Island where you can then ride to Espanola and west to Sault St Marie and across the boarder again toward Copper Harbour.

The other option is running around the east side of Georgian Bay. I do a ton of riding in Southern Ontario.

Cheers

I see no east coast in this loop. :brow

Not that it matters.

Does the Chesapeake Bay count (I live on it's coast!) Ya got me there on what I called this thread. Last year this group did a west coast trip (Seattle 101/1/PCH to LA, Vegas) to in that context it's our east coast version. What this trip is really about is one of the guys has always wanted to go to Copper Harbor MI for some reason. So he's devised this big loop hopping there will be something for each of us.

........ I've never been through that NW corner of PA before and there's some interesting looking parks there. Just wondering if anyone would consider that area good sport bike country?

How about the ride from Niagra up through Sudbury and over to the Michigan upper pen? Anything interesting there?

I can keep you busy for 3 or 4 days in PA, as good or better than a lot of WV stuff, IMHO, smaller and tighter.

Once about 30 mile S of Buffalo, pretty much flat and straight, some decent lake views, but not sport bike stuff.

Back