• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What is a Beemer???

GeneT

Swamp Fox
Excuse me for perhaps being behind the times but just how do you derive with the word Beemer in referring to a BMW Motorcycle , and further with the automotive group calling a BMW automobile a Beamer.

I once stood at a parts counter when another customer asked the parts guy for something for a Vette. The parts guy made like he was looking in the catalog and them announced "we don't have any listing for a Vette". Everyone standing there knew the dude meant Corvette, but he had this slang term embedded in his head.

Which again I ask where does Beemer come form????????????

Excuse me for perhaps being behind the times but just how do you derive with the word Beemer in referring to a BMW Motorcycle , and further with the automotive group calling a BMW automobile a Beamer.

I once stood at a parts counter when another customer asked the parts guy for something for a Vette. The parts guy made like he was looking in the catalog and them announced "we don't have any listing for a Vette". Everyone standing there knew the dude meant Corvette, but he had this slang term embedded in his head.

Which again I ask where does Beemer come form????????????

Really???

Just as BSAs used to be called Beezers, BMWs are called Beemers. B - M -er. That pesky double U at the end has too many syllables.

But BMW automobiles are Bimmers, not Beemers. I don't have an explanation for that.

Muffy and Biff drive a Bimmer, they wouldn't have anything that uses that crass hard "E" pronunciation........ :dance

yuppie beemer

A yuppie was opening the door of his BMW when a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely. When the police arrived at the scene, the yuppie complained bitterly about the damage to his car.

"Officer, look what they've done to my Beemer!"

"You yuppies are so materialistic, it's ridiculous" retorted the officer. "You're so worried about your stupid BMW, you didn't even notice that your left arm was ripped off."

"Oh, my God!" screamed the yuppie, noticing the bloody stump where his arm used to be. "My Rolex!"

A yuppie was opening the door of his BMW when a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely. When the police arrived at the scene, the yuppie complained bitterly about the damage to his car.

"Officer, look what they've done to my Beemer!"

"You yuppies are so materialistic, it's ridiculous" retorted the officer. "You're so worried about your stupid BMW, you didn't even notice that your left arm was ripped off."

"Oh, my God!" screamed the yuppie, noticing the bloody stump where his arm used to be. "My Rolex!"

:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

I think the snob myth (and it is a myth) centers around cost. BMWs are pricey, and you immediately assume things about someone who can afford one. Just like a guy who drives up in a Ferrari. You have certain opinions about him that might not be correct.

Ah, hold on, I have to go, my manservant is acting up again. Be right back....

Seems simple to me

I think the snob myth (and it is a myth) centers around cost. BMWs are pricey, and you immediately assume things about someone who can afford one. Just like a guy who drives up in a Ferrari. You have certain opinions about him that might not be correct.

See my .sig
Two Bimmers and two Beemers. All purchased used for, what I thought, the best bang for the buck. I believe they're the ultimate driving machines, and since I have to drive ... why not enjoy it?

Just my $0.02,
Jer (empty nester and can finally indulge myself)

yeah, I get it Jerry. But you have two cars and two bikes (all BMWs). People who can barely afford a car are going to make assumptions about you having 4 vehicles, nice ones. I'm not saying it is correct, but they'll make assumptions.

Just the insurance on those 4 vehicles is a lot more than many can afford.

Snob myth maybe, but the yuppie a**hole in the Bimmer is not a myth.

If someone comes storming from behind me on the freeway, flashing their lights because they *need* me to get out of their way (even though I am passing and already doing at least 10 over), it is almost always a BMW driver.

if not, then it's a Nissan Altima....

We took a couple of Harley fans to BMW dealership a few weeks ago and one had a simple response when we prepared to leave. He said "I thought BMWs cost more than Harleys but they don't". He had paid more for his Harley than the most expensive BMW in the dealership.

We took a couple of Harley fans to BMW dealership a few weeks ago and one had a simple response when we prepared to leave. He said "I thought BMWs cost more than Harleys but they don't". He had paid more for his Harley than the most expensive BMW in the dealership.

Oh yes, that is a great point. HD is pricey, every bit as much as BMW. But people THINK BMW is more expensive.

And both HD and BMW are much more expensive than the Japanese bikes. The S1000RR was priced closely, but that's an exception.

This M5 has been my daily driver for 12 years. It will do 155 mph. Does this make me a yuppie?

IMG_0302.JPG

Naaa, but posting a photo when nobody asked I'm told does make you something. :brow

BMW riders are snobs? Maybe.

But I do know this:
I'm a habitual waver. I'll even wave at scooters - heck, if the rider is crazy enough to take a 50cc two wheeler out into rush hour traffic they deserve acknowledgement. Those who don't wave back invariably are on Harleys - usually with ape hangers, no windshield and a DOT beanie helmet.

So who's the snob?

I do confess that I take an inordinate amount of pleasure from passing their loud pipe a$$e$ when I come up on them from behind - which, I admit, is a form of snobbery.

But --- I always wave as I whip by.

BMW riders are snobs? Maybe.

But I do know this:
I'll even wave at scooters - heck, if the rider is crazy enough to take a 50cc two wheeler out into rush hour traffic they deserve acknowledgement.

I do confess that I take an inordinate amount of pleasure from passing their loud pipe a$$e$ when I come up on them from behind - which, I admit, is a form of snobbery.

But --- I always wave as I whip by.

Wow, you just described me. I wave at scooters. Those dudes are nuts and deserve the wave. I wave at cyclists too, since I ride.

And I always love to increase my speed and pass a pack of cruisers (any brand). The bigger the group the better, just thread my needle through the group and I'm gone.

I don't think that makes me a snob, but perhaps a gigantic A-hole...but I'm OK with that!

My 5 beemers and 1 bimmer all suck and I once got a saucy PM here saying that some guy could buy all my bikes with the change he finds in his couch.

So, I'm free from the yuppie stigma! Whew!:ha

Back