• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

need GPS advice

Nuvi 550

Love my Nuvi 550 and have used a RAM mounting kit with on my bike and it works nice, although you have to take it off when you park the bike... Touratech makes a locking mount for this GPS and it's nice, but pricey (like everything TT).

I've been using GPS systems since they were available on my Palm Pilot and 99% of the time, they work great.. Keep the maps updated and learn how to use the device and you'll be fine.

Using MapSource and creating routes is fun too, but there is other software on the market that can do that too, so do some research.

I am also on the same quest at the moment for a GPS setup for my r1100rt 99 so far the best option's i have found.

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...d/082065077045066045051054055085/Default.aspx but still have to deal with finding a GPS that is water proof. and i see a issue with spacing going to be kinda close to one side or other. by the time you get the rest of the ram mount adapters or the ram mount I kinda see everything stacking up going past your bars. And if you get into a accident. I really dont want this stuff to go into my chest.

so now i kinda got my eye on this givi bag
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=119831 looks like you can get away with getting a cheap GPS with this one.. Plus i almost feel its a safer bet.

So far in my quest. the Nicest GPS mount i have found is IMHO
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=121982
more symmetrical design is more appealing to me then a off centered gps. but then back to the need of water proof GPS in turn puts price up 200+

Nice mount

The ascycles / Ztechnic mount looks great. Paid $50 for a simple RAM ball + bolt from my dealer, so price is good too.

As for the price of a waterproof GPS, I paid big for a Zumo 550, then two years in another $250 for a refurb, 'cause I dropped it.

For me, still worth every penny!

Everybody is going to tell you to buy what they bought. Gotta do your own homework on this one.

The comparison grid on Garmin's website is very useful.

Except all the answers for motorcycle use are for the Zumo line.
Ridiculously priced for what they are.

The Nuvi 500/550 use the same case and accessories as the Zumo 2xx series and are waterproof.
But the 550 and add the Garmin Topo map and you have an unbeatable combo for the price.

then two years in another $250 for a refurb, 'cause I dropped it.

This morning my Nuvi 550 fell out of my tank bag unto the concrete garage floor.
I held my breath as I plugged it in and started it up, but all is well as it seemed to work correctly on a 3 hour ride.

Back