• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

need GPS advice

KARSTEN

Looking for a GPS and mounting system for my R1100R, not looking to get to fancy, just a GPS for Street use north america, nothing too technical.Also looking for a clean looking way to install it, kind of blending in with the design of this good looking bike.Totally new to the GPS for bikes, no clue what to look for, rainproof?
Would like to get some advise.Thanks

Looking for a GPS and mounting system for my R1100R, not looking to get to fancy, just a GPS for Street use north america, nothing too technical.Also looking for a clean looking way to install it, kind of blending in with the design of this good looking bike.Totally new to the GPS for bikes, no clue what to look for, rainproof?
Would like to get some advise.Thanks

The Garmin Nuvi 550 is about the cheapest waterproof GPS you can get. They run around $230 to $250.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-nuvi-550.html

The Garmin Zumo units are probably the best, but cost much more.

Zumo 550

This unit is very good for use on a bike. I never go without it, almost.

It comes with a locking bike cradle and a security screw. The screw on mine tightens on a ride, which is far better than loosening.

The cradle is attached to a RAM mount, included. My dealer made up a RAM ball on a bolt that replaced one of the left handlebar bolts. Neat.

It also comes with a car suction mount and cord. Part of the high price is the bits and pieces it comes with.

Once you start to use a GPS, you are going to love it.

A good backup;

I never use my GPS as a first choice of mapping! Its a handy tool, but frequently wrong and usually my friends are last getting anywhere using it as a first option. Carry maps too, for the bigger picture:). I love my GPS, but use it mostly for data concerning nearest town, exits and so on. I like to see the hghway ahead of me a few miles only. You will hear much opinion on this and learn on your own, with miles in GPS use. Don't get puzzled and use your instincts, alongside GPS:). Randy

This is always a good one because there are as many opinions as there are GPS models.

How you are going to be using your GPS dictates selection.

I have two Garmin GPSMAP 60 Cx units because:
(the Montana replaced the 60Cx)

I wanted a unit that runs on rechargeable AA batteries, DC and USB power...not some proprietary built-in battery I can or cannot replace. It also runs a whopping 16 hours on a set of batteries.

I can use it off the bike or car while walking around cities (don't need to carry maps).

It is small (fits in a pocket) and waterproof.

And it has important-to-me features not found on more expensive units.

As for mounting, I use RAM products and came up with a factory looking installation on my GS Adventure.

I never use my GPS as a first choice of mapping! Carry maps too, for the bigger picture.

Same here.

I would never have found the great riding roads if I used my GPS solely. Detailed maps are best for that purpose.

As for use, my GPS is primarily used for track logging on my month+ long tours...it is kind of hard to remember all the roads you took. Then I have BMW dealers and motorcycle friendly accommodations stored as waypoints. When taking pics, I synch the time of my camera to the GPS...I take a pic and press MARK...I know where the pic was taken when I get back home.

I had a Garmin GPSMap60csx until it was stolen down in Colombia. Liked it for all the reasons mentioned in a previous post. Now I am getting familiar with a Garmin Zumo.

Still love my 478, (similar to 276C) but as mentioned, maps lay out the big picture route, GPS confirms its twisty-ness (the more the better), I have found as many great roads using the GPS as I have maps.

I always travel with both.

I never use my GPS as a first choice of mapping! Its a handy tool, but frequently wrong and usually my friends are last getting anywhere using it as a first option. Carry maps too, for the bigger picture:). I love my GPS, but use it mostly for data concerning nearest town, exits and so on. I like to see the hghway ahead of me a few miles only. You will hear much opinion on this and learn on your own, with miles in GPS use. Don't get puzzled and use your instincts, alongside GPS:). Randy

I agree Maps as first choice. A GPS can really get you in trouble if you let it do the thinking for you.

While it is more costly than a Nuvi 500 or 550, also consider the Zumo 220. Included in the package is MapSource for creating routes on your computer and transferring routes to the unit. It also comes with nearly a complete motorcycle mounting kit and wiring harness. I say complete as it's impossible to make one kit fit all motorcycles. But if you're mounting to handlebars (not sure if a R1200R has tubular bars) everything you'll need is in the box. If mounting somewhere else, a RAM ball mounting plate may be all that's needed. Garmin also sells it as motorcycle GPS. There's also a car mounting kit in the package.

You can compare it at: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=65210

I'm using a GPSMap60cx as well, which unfortunately is no longer available.

Which is why I bought another new 60 Cx as a spare about a year after I bought my first 60 Cx. Both should last me a lifetime. :wave

If I didn't have the spare 60 Cx, I'd probably go for the Montana at the moment as a back-up.

Which is why I bought another new 60 Cx as a spare about a year after I bought my first 60 Cx. Both should last me a lifetime. :wave

If I didn't have the spare 60 Cx, I'd probably go for the Montana at the moment as a back-up.

I know what you mean. I keep seeing all the "latest and greatest" units and they have all sorts of features I don't want, but lack the customizable interface and other features of the 60cx I like so much.

I keep seeing all the "latest and greatest" units and they have all sorts of features I don't want, but lack the customizable interface and other features of the 60cx I like so much.

Exactly!

I'd like to buy a "car specific" unit from Garmin for the bigger screen and voice commands (I don't need those features when on my motorcycle), but their car units lack some of the features of my 60 Cx, for example, track logging to a micro SD and being able to customize the data fields.

I've e-mailed and called Garmin about that with no results. Well at least they implemented the custom waypoint symbols that I asked for years before they came out with that feature. Cripes, all that stuff is just software re-writes.

Keep in mind that units with a touch screen may not work with your gloves on.

/Guenther (using a GPSMAP 76CSx, like a GPSMAP 60)

The problem with gloves is that newer units may have a "capacitive" touch screen (like some newer phones). There is not electric field around your gloved finger tip to trigger that sensor. Older ones had "resistive" touch screens which work with gloves.

Also with my bulkier winter gloves it is easier to hit a real button on the device than hitting that virtual button on a touch screen. But that might be just me.

/Guenther

I know my Zumo 220 works with gloves and is designed to. It's a "push type" screen like when things like Palm Pilot and the like required a stylus. I think the NUVI 500 & 550 are the same way. :brow

Back