Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R100RT 1990 oil leak from pushrod tube

R100RT 1990 oil leak from pushrod tube

The oil leak from the left hand pushrod tubes is getting worse and I don,t want to fix it untill winter. Is there any thing I can do in the interm I find if I use the center stand the drip is less. Were is the best place to buy a exhaust nut wrench as I will need one to do the repair?

Here is an exhaust nut wrench.

http://www.cycleworks.net/index.php?...roducts_id=346

Perhaps the leak can be sealed externally with silicone sealer or epoxy.

same problem

I use a drip pan.

I just put my top end together, and I think my LHS seals didn't catch right, so I've been thinking about this:

There are only 4 nuts holding the cylinder on (one for each stud, on top of the rocker arm shoulders), and if the pistons are at the bottom of the stroke and you pull them with the cylinders, I think you can pull the cylinder off far enough with piston in place to either adjust or maybe even replace those rubber bits without pulling the piston out or upsetting the ring seating (which turns into a much bigger job with the head coming off, and so a head gasket, and honing to get the rings to set).

The rubber bits are only a few bucks at a BMW shop, OEM, and they slide right on/off (esp. with some WD40 or other spray lubricant).
    After putting the cylinder back on, it's just tightening the four nuts to spec (my 1980 is 35-38 ft lbs) and adjusting your valves back to spec.

But again, this is all theoretical, because I haven't done it yet. YMMV.

It works:)

Done it several times, no issues. You CAN do the above replace the rubber seals without disturbing the rings/pistons and even the head gaskets are not compromised. AND, if the bike sits at all, not being used a short week or so, the seals love to start leaking. The tool for tapping them back in place is easy to make from pipe or even plastic heavy PVC. Tapping these seals takes all of 30seconds, all4 of'em and usually makes the leak stop and riding the bike every day will prevent the seals getting lazy and cold and leaking. I carry my home made tool in the bike tool box. Randy

I dont think the tapping down of the ring applies to the later bikes. Once you disturb the base o-rings you will have leaks, not a good idea. Wait until winter and do it right!

Where did you get the 35-38 ft lbs to torque the cylinders? that seems very high.
    I have always been told not over 25 ft lbs.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edwarddieck View Post
    Where did you get the 35-38 ft lbs to torque the cylinders? that seems very high.
    I have always been told not over 25 ft lbs.
    Good catch...I wonder if he meant Nm...35-38 Nm times 0.74 gives 26-28 ft-lbs.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Sure glad I posted my torque. Indeed, I got my units backwards. Looks like I'm the engineer that crashed the Mars lander.

In other news, I did get the rubber seals off and on for one side using the method I posted above. The one thing I didn't mention see: the exhaust/carbs come off too. It's easy as pie after that.

Smile Crisco....

I've used crisco sparingly when installing my pushrod tube seals, slides right in no pinching. No leaks even years later and many miles. Running a R60/6. Go figure, I learned that from an old airplane engineer that used to work on Hamilton Standard props. The Mrs.. doesn't like it when Im rummaging about the kitchen looking for stuff.....she stays out of the garage, I stay out of the kitchen.
    Glenn
    ...driving to work on my airhead
    '74 R60/6, '75 R60/6(boxes)

leak from the left hand pushrod tubes is getting worse and I don,t want to fix it untill winter.
    ================================================== ==================
    Lean bike over substantially onto something to the right side
    Clean area around the leaking rubber parts thoroughly with spray brake cleaner
    Apply 2 or three layers of product Hondabond or similar to cover rubber and area on block
    about 1/2 inch outward from the leaking rubber - build up a big mess of this product in layers
    looks like hell but sometimes will last for quite a long time/mileage

Purists on the forum please forgive me

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob 1642 View Post
    The oil leak from the left hand pushrod tubes is getting worse and I don,t want to fix it untill winter. Is there any thing I can do in the interm
    Since it takes about 30 minutes for a complete fix, why waste time with a temporary fix?

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    Since it takes about 30 minutes for a complete fix, why waste time with a temporary fix?
    agreed. sometimes, those "big jobs" in our heads that have to wait for winter are not really so "big" after all.
    unless you have some truly major undertaking that also is going to be done at the same time.. take an afternoon, do it right, be done with the annoyance, and save winter for sampling new beers.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Grammarian no, Rider yes ISAMEMON's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 44006 View Post
    leak from the left hand pushrod tubes is getting worse and I don,t want to fix it untill winter.
    ================================================== ==================
    Lean bike over substantially onto something to the right side
    Clean area around the leaking rubber parts thoroughly with spray brake cleaner
    Apply 2 or three layers of product Hondabond or similar to cover rubber and area on block
    about 1/2 inch outward from the leaking rubber - build up a big mess of this product in layers
    looks like hell but sometimes will last for quite a long time/mileage

Purists on the forum please forgive me
    while nolt the best fix, I am sad to say, things like that work.
    One of my previous bikes, the p.o. had a pushrod seal begin to leak bad while he was on a long road trip, he took JB weld and covered the seal and mating surfaces. his intent was to fix it correctly when he got home. He did not, and when I pointed it out on a pre-purchace inpsection, he said oh yep, that happend years ago. I let it go for the rest of that summer

so sad silly tricks like hondabond, yammabond, or jb weld will work
    but my preference, if you got a a day and th emoney for the parts, , just do it right and forget it

One of the easiest . . .

Of all the projects on bringing my '93 R100RT back into shape, tube seals were the easiest. Maybe a 4 hour job.
    Campbell Tellman II