• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Slight increase in vibration - R1100S

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Just returned from a 5k km ride to SoCal and back.

Had valves set and FI balanced before I left. The last 250 km I noticed a slight increase in vibration between 3500 and 4200. Performance of bike has been exemplary throughout. My guess is that the FI balance has gone off slightly.

Your opinions are solicited.

PS I'm using synthetic oil. :D

Maybe pickup some debris/pebble in the throttle cams under the cables. Crank the throttle wide open a few times. Or use a dental pic or thin nail to clear out the cable groove as you work the throttle up and down.

andy- that pebble is a likely cause for vibration, but it typically is a quite extreme vibrato. not what OP reported.

for a slight increase that BC reports, i'm going with 2 maybes and 1 probably:
maybe1) - when did you last clean the BBS?
maybe2)- possibly a TBS symptom-
probably 1)- but in my R11S, that slight increase in vibration that seems to develop from absolutely nothing is .... low oil level.

for a slight increase that BC reports, i'm going with 2 maybes and 1 probably:
maybe1) - when did you last clean the BBS?
maybe2)- possibly a TBS symptom-
probably 1)- but in my R11S, that slight increase in vibration that seems to develop from absolutely nothing is .... low oil level.

Oil level is spot on mid-way in sight glass.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot (not uncommon), what is the BBS? By me asking this question, you can safely assume it hasn't been cleaned. :D

From my ride last weekend, check the caps (or hoses if you still have a canister) on your vacuum port on the throttle bodies. My caps swelled up for some reason after working well for the last year. One fell off and gave me a little vibration at low RPM. Above 4k, I really couldn't notice it (maybe a bit lower than that). The other one fell off as I pulled into a Chevy dealer to bum a little vacuum line and a couple small screws. I'm guessing this isn't your issue, but it is an easy thing to check.

BBS is BigBrassScrew. those are the screws you adjust (with a Twin-max or some type of manometer- NEVER adjust by sight or sound) to do a TBS (throttle body synch); which is the balancing of the throttle bodies so that they are working in perfect unison. they should get taken out, cleaned off with TB cleaner about every 25-30K or so, then replaced and readjusted.

BBS is BigBrassScrew. those are the screws you adjust (with a Twin-max or some type of manometer- NEVER adjust by sight or sound) to do a TBS (throttle body synch); which is the balancing of the throttle bodies so that they are working in perfect unison. they should get taken out, cleaned off with TB cleaner about every 25-30K or so, then replaced and readjusted.

Well then, they're due for a cleaning.

Thanks to all for your input. I will report back with the results.

Back