• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I see a lot of posts about...

Here holding a line of cars? No thief would try it, not even several. They would be knocked down quite quick from several of the cars.
dc

I beg to differ with you

I would say that it's probably because Mexico is a 3rd world crap hole where it is VERY easy to get killed, robbed or kidnapped.

You couldn't shoot me out of a cannon into that cesspool. :nono

I have crisscrossed it twice on a /5 and circumnavigated once on a r100rs and had a wonderful time. I Met lots of nice folks, ate many a good meal, drank some of the best beer made anywhere and marveled at the changing scenery. There are mountains and forest of pine between Torreon and Mazatlan. It reminded me of the Ozarks in Arkansas. Beautiful beaches along all the West and South coast. I did stay away from Mexico City but only because I stay away from most cities everywhere. I have lots of good memories of Mexico, including drinking some of the best coffee between Oaxaca and Veracruz made from beans grown locally and smelling the vanilla that fills the air around Tampico. I could go on and on but I sure you don't want to hear it.

I Took my converted van down in the 70's with my wife and kids (5 at the time, kids that is). Went as far a Purto escondio and turned around and took another route home to Texas. I stayed at a banana plantation for three days while the kids played with the caretakers kids. They fed us and entertained and asked nothing in return. Nothing planned, just happened to stop to steal some bananas.

Lots of bad things going on now with drugs and all but probably safer than going to Chicago or New York City.

We have many members from Mexico who love there country. I have ridden with some of them in Europe in the '80's and I know how they feel about their homeland. Lets be more respectful of our Mexican members.
DW

+ 1 more for reading up on others' experiences, and seeking routes, advice, etc. from ADVrider.com.
As for Mexico, I've not spent too awfully much time there but the time I spent was real quality time. I HAVE been around quite a few Mexicans. LOTS of Mexicans, in fact. For the most part, they are honest, polite, and hard working and hospitable- almost to a fault! Just like here or anywhere, you'll find a certain percentage of "bad" people.

Don't believe the negative or racist comments. You'd be wise to consider the source there.

As always, don't be a target, or look like an easy mark. When traveling in a foreign country- ESP. a 3rd world or developing nation- caution and prudence are your best tools. Well, add a SMILE to that short list, and a willingness to roll with the locals on whatever is happening.

Just returned from 5 days of riding in Baja. As soon as I figure out how to insert pictures I'll file a Ride Report. In the mean time, let me say I had a wonderful time, saw some beautiful scenery, ate some fantastic meals and met some wonderful and friendly people. Sure, you need to use your head and be careful where you go after dark. However, Mexico is less dangerous for American Citizens who are minding their own business and are in no way involved in the drug trade than are many areas of the U.S. With the same precautions you would take in Detroit or New Orleans or even Washington DC (including areas of those cities you just would not venture into PERIOD, travel in Mexico (at least on the Baja which is all I can speak to from personal experience) is safe and fun. If you are denying yourself the opportunity because of statistics, consider these:

According to FBI crime statistics, 4.8 Americans per 100,000 were murdered in the US in 2010. The US State Department reports that 120 Americans of the 5.7 million who visited Mexico last year were murdered, which is a rate of 2.1 per 100,000 visitors. (There were 344 murdered in Detroit) Regardless of whether they were or werenÔÇÖt connected to drug trafficking, which is often not clear, the murder rate for Americans in Mexico is less than half the US national rate. Further, the statistics of 2.1 per 100,000 US Citizens encompasses all US Citizens (including Mexicans who have become US Citizens) and includes those who are involved in the drug traffic. Texans are twice as safe in Mexico as at home, and three times safer than in Houston. Five per 100,000 Texans were homicide victims in 2010, per the FBI. Houston was worst, with 143 murders, or a rate of 6.8 ÔÇô over three times the rate for Americans in Mexico. And itÔÇÖs not just Texas. ItÔÇÖs interesting comparing each of the countriesÔÇÖ most dangerous cities. New Orleans in 2010 broke its own tourism record with 8 million visitors. Yet the Big Easy has ten times the US homicide rate, close to triple MexicoÔÇÖs national rate.

Be smart but don't be scared away from wonderful opportunities in a wonderful and friendly country by hysteria.

Back