• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW S1000R 192 MPH on Public Streets

hexkopf

American Mutt
Not sure how many of you have seen this video yet, but you can below. I would love to hear some thoughts on this. Personally I think guys that do this are fools and damage the perception of motorcyclists. I am not averse to going fast once in a while, but 192 mph on public roads puts not only the rider but others in danger.

192 mph is about 281 feet per second. That's almost a football field per second. I think the RR is an amazing machine, but like anything else, very dangerous when in the wrong hands.

<iframe width="520" height="415" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/14qO1MYpszk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

if that were the Autobahn in Germany, then perfectly legal, but I'd argue still unsafe...but it's not, it the US, or Canada, then its fully criminal and ridiculous to endangers others like this.... with all the weaving. Amazing bike has a place... it's called a track.

I think his speedo is displaying kilometers/hr, not mph. 192 kph=119mph. He's definitely going fast, but it doesn't look to me like he's going 100 mph faster than everything else on the road. He's maybe going 50-60 mph faster than the cars he's passing, so just over 100 mph seems about right. Still foolish though.

Definately NOT MPH! At 190+ mph, the cars would look like they were standing still as he passes them. Also, It takes a LOT of power and a LOT of clean aerodymamics to get to 200 mph. (think superGP). He's going fast, and he's stupid, but not 190MPH.

Having ridden a S1000RR even breifly I can tell you that the bike would not need to be wound out so much in so many gears to hit 119 mph, I'll bet a months salary that the bike could do 119 mph in second gear. A ZX14 will do 105 mph in FIRST! Viewing a pc monitor with no depth of field dampens the perception of speed. I have no doubt that guy hit an indicated 192 mph.

I think his speedo is displaying kilometers/hr, not mph. 192 kph=119mph. He's definitely going fast, but it doesn't look to me like he's going 100 mph faster than everything else on the road. He's maybe going 50-60 mph faster than the cars he's passing, so just over 100 mph seems about right. Still foolish though.

You really think he is only going 119mph? Really?

This guy is freaking flying. Doing all of 192 easily.

Degrees of stupidity - 119mph to 192mph. I have no trouble believing it is 192mph stupid.

I am more than a bit curious about the experience base of some of the detractors :stick untold stories or photographic analysis? :)

A couple of story lines to look for in the future.
How viral will this go and what will be the impact on the rest of us?
Will the police investigate? In the UK the police have investigated similar youtube posts and prosecuted.
What are the implications for others posting trip video with spedo visible?
What's for desert?

Agree...no way this is over 190 mph.

Agree...no way this is over 190 mph.

You think he messed with his tach? At 14000 RPM, the nominal redline, top speed in each gear is about 93 MPH (1st), 117 MPH (2nd), 142 MPH (3rd), 163 MHP (4th), 180 MPH (5th), and 194 (6th).

To be doing only 119 MPH (at 14000 RPM or there about) as some have suggested he'd have to still be in 2nd gear.

192 mph on public roads puts not only the rider but others in danger.

I couldn't care less about the rider as long as he only takes himself out and doesn't take a family member or friend along. Funny thing is, put him on the track and he wouldn't even make the grid. :laugh

after much research, I have changed my mind and agree the speedo is indicating MPH and not KPH....

You think he messed with his tach? At 14000 RPM, the nominal redline, top speed in each gear is about 93 MPH (1st), 117 MPH (2nd), 142 MPH (3rd), 163 MHP (4th), 180 MPH (5th), and 194 (6th).

To be doing only 119 MPH (at 14000 RPM or there about) as some have suggested he'd have to still be in 2nd gear.

I dunno...here's a video shot by a guy in Portugal doing 280 k/ph (175 mph). A means of comparison. Now I'm not so sure...

Here's that video: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/81744/gsxr_600_at_283km_h_motorway/

Last edited:
Here is the guy from Canada who was arrested for going 186 mph. It is tough to tell on the computer screen I think.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ylDA3UV2eXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I do happen to personally know a S1000RR will easily do 125 MPH in 3rd gear.

In daylight, on a two-lane straight back road, no trees, no cross roads, no hill/rise/dip, no traffic, no driveways.

I quit watching the video early on, since it was on a road with traffic, at night??? Darwin will win, an natural selection still applies.

Back