• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where the freeway ends

Nice;

We are dry now, aren't we? Family works Cal Fire up there in N.Cal..Very nice area, riding. Hope its cooler there than down state where I am, Clovis. I may need to go for a ride VERY soon to cool off, towards the coast. Randy:thumb

Sporty.
The freeway never ends. You must find your exit, and exit the freeway.
We are looking at Kernville and Camp Nelson. I found that it was 93 there yesterday.
dc

For those who haven't yet Googled my location, this is the North Coast, far from the Central Valley or southern Sierra, about 100 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Very nice riding, indeed. Impossibly blue skies, beautiful roads, few cars.
Highway 101 ceases to be a "freeway" north of the Mendocino County line. That cafe sits right on 101.
Pics taken Aug. 5, 2012.

Last edited:
101 does have a number of significant freeway segments north of Hopland: from just south of Ukiah to just north of the intersection with Highway 20, from a bit north of Laytonville to Richardson Grove, then after the Grove all the way north from Benbow (save between Eureka and Arcata) to Humboldt Lagoons near Orick, and again from north of Crescent City to the 199 turnoff.

Like dc said: we're free to turn off!

Hwy 1 :)

Alternate is of course this. US1. Has it been real foggy up there, nearby the coast? I know the answer is probably yes. Hot inland means foggy coasts in Cal., most of the time. Randy

Yeah, there's a little fog (Sunday afternoon, intersection of highways 1 and 128):

Attachments

• navarro.jpg
    navarro.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 79
BTW: I wouldn't describe any parts of 101 above Hopland as having "significant freeway segments." At least not in the urban, superslab sense.

BTW: I wouldn't describe any parts of 101 above Hopland as having "significant freeway segments." At least not in the urban, superslab sense.

+1 :thumb And, by the way, US 1 ends in Leggett (50 miles north of Fort Bragg) at US 101. Even the four-lane sections of 101 north of Hopland are gorgeous with little traffic.

Of course they're not urban superslabs; they're curved, not-too-heavily traveled, and go through gorgeous country. But they are multilane, limited access roadways - what we commonly call freeways.

Back