• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2013 Rally Including current updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Route To 2013 Rally

I live in Atlanta, GA, and am working on a route to and from the Rally for my BMW Navigator Garmin unit. Any suggestions for route(s), interesting sights along the way, etc? I've allow 7 days to ride out and 7 days to return. The route I'd like to do going out is a more northern route and the route home to swing down through the southwest/south. Any suggestions and/or electronic routes will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I'm new to this, so please excuse if I've not followed the rules. Thanks

New member, new owner, so excited!!

Bought my 2013 F700GS in November and I am so excited that this rally is almost in my backyard!! I'm only 75 miles North of Salem in SW Washington. Can't wait to attend the rally, volunteer, and get to know my fellow BMW owners. :p

I live in Atlanta, GA, and am working on a route to and from the Rally for my BMW Navigator Garmin unit. Any suggestions for route(s), interesting sights along the way, etc? I've allow 7 days to ride out and 7 days to return. The route I'd like to do going out is a more northern route and the route home to swing down through the southwest/south. Any suggestions and/or electronic routes will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I'm new to this, so please excuse if I've not followed the rules. Thanks

You have private message..

Bought my 2013 F700GS in November and I am so excited that this rally is almost in my backyard!! I'm only 75 miles North of Salem in SW Washington. Can't wait to attend the rally, volunteer, and get to know my fellow BMW owners. :p

Yeah, it should be fun. Haven't been in the Pacific Nothwet for a long time and am so looking forward to riding through the mountains and deserts. Virginny's a nice place once you get out of the city, but can't smell sagebrush back here-nor see Doug Fir and Ponderosa Pine!

Anyone have reservations at the Grand Hotel in Salem that might not be keeping them? don't want to do the camping and it looks like this great hotel is already booked up. Thanks.

Oh the Rally should be fun this year. I'll be stopping by it as it will fall about in the middle of my ride up to the Arctic in June. Wife is flying out to meet me at the rally for a few days, then she flies back home and I continue my journey down Highway 1 towards San Diego. Then heading east and eventually getting back home hopefully by end of July. I'm ready!!

Going from Maine to BMW Rally Oregan

Anyone have a route from east to west yet, Rt 20 looks good but having not travelled mulitdays from coast to coast would appreciate
some input.Plan on staying 2 days in Yellowstone as I hike when not riding,on way back east
Thanks Bruce

I don't want to sound like Doug the Downer, but Yellowstone in July is very crowded. There are a few opportunities to get away from folks during the day, but the traffic and crowds just suck so bad that riding around the place is not that great.

US20 is an excellent road, check out US18 in South Dakota, 16 through Wyoming, 14A over the Bighorns and find your way on back roads to Red Lodge.

From there, Beartooth Pass and into the NE entrance in Yellowstone... the least crowded.

After a ride through the park on my way to Redmond in 2010, I swore I'd never return in July again.

What do you ride and how long do you have?

Ian

ps => give serious consideration to riding around the north shore of Lake Superior. If you go through Ontario to the Tobermory Peninsula, you can catch a ferry to Manatoulin Island, go through the Soo Locks and follow the road along the North Shore. You won't have any traffic problems there! :ha

pps=> another great option is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It saves you from the hassle of riding near Chicago.

Maine to Salem

Hi I ride a 2009 RT1200 and have probably 1 week to get there and 1 week return plus or minus 2-3days
will be staying at Salem for 3 days
Plan to so Seattle and ride along the coast
the rest is up in the air at moment
ty Bruce

My suggestion to you is to do the north shore of Lake Superior, slab it through the bulk of flyover land, and if you're set on riding to Yellowstone, do that on the way home.

You don't have all that much time and it sounds like you want to spend much of it on the coast. If you're going to go to Seattle, don't miss the Olympic Peninsula. Take a ferry across Puget Sound to Port Angeles. The coastal route is slow-going.

How are you for long days on the slab?

Ian

for long days probably 500-600 assuming decent weather and early starts
i figure to save time for places I wont be going back to any time soon!
at 63 this is one trip i dont want to keep putting off
thanks Bruce

New kid on the block? Cool!

You have a private message

experienced rider course

I would like to attend an experienced rider course in conjunction with the rally, any word on times dates availability (assuming there will be msf classes) I know they fill up quickly and would like to get a headstart on signing up.

Tour of a steam powered sawmill

Greetings all. Not sure if this is the place to post this or not. If not, Deb can you direct me to where I should post it? About 60 miles south of the rally site is an old sawmill that runs on steam power. Apparently, its the last of it's kind. The company is Hull-Oakes Sawmill. I contacted the tourist people in Salem and they said they offer tours on tuesdays and thursdays. I was wondering if there would be enough people interested in visiting them on the Thursday before the rally? Here is a youtube video of their operation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpwzTtxLjvs
Thanks and see you in Salem!
Brad Doyle
Fairview Heights, IL

Very cool!!

Greetings all. Not sure if this is the place to post this or not. If not, Deb can you direct me to where I should post it? About 60 miles south of the rally site is an old sawmill that runs on steam power. Apparently, its the last of it's kind. The company is Hull-Oakes Sawmill. I contacted the tourist people in Salem and they said they offer tours on tuesdays and thursdays. I was wondering if there would be enough people interested in visiting them on the Thursday before the rally? Here is a youtube video of their operation.
Brad Doyle
Fairview Heights, IL

Well, I think The GS Giant just found himself a good GS BS point. :thumb

Thank you very much, Brad. :D

Brad Doyle
Fairview Heights, IL

Wow, that video took me back a long time. I never worked around a steam-powered sawmill, but the bandsaw, log carriage, burner, lumber hauler, green chain, log pond, log trucks--hauntingly familiar. Watching those guys work reminded me of why I quit doing that and joined the Navy!!

It would be an interesting trip . . . back in time for some of us!

Topic change....

Is there any issue with MOA non-members signing up and attending the rally? I have a friend who wants to go but he rides a Triumph. Other than that, he's a good guy. :laugh

Your input is appreciated.

Topic change....

Is there any issue with MOA non-members signing up and attending the rally? I have a friend who wants to go but he rides a Triumph. Other than that, he's a good guy. :laugh

NO problem, bring him along and all your other riding friends... all are welcome!

Topic change....

Hmm, I kinda liked the few Triumphs I've ridden . . . an' their riders too!

I would like to attend an experienced rider course in conjunction with the rally, any word on times dates availability (assuming there will be msf classes) I know they fill up quickly and would like to get a headstart on signing up.

Push the button when the April ON appears in your mailbox with the RPU registration form. There are several Foundation/Rider Performance University (RPU) courses being planned for the rally.

The Rally Pre-Registration form is scheduled to be on-line March 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back