• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2013 Rally Including current updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm from Oregon I've been a member for about 3 years and have really wanted to attend an International Rally... but they've always been too far and/or I've been unable to get the time off work. This coming summer rally dates are perfect and I can get those days off. But geeez... I would love a nice ride to get there... but only 50 miles down I-5 to get to Salem... that just takes the wind out of my sails. Perhaps I'll wait for another year and what I'd consider a funner destination from my point of view. For me the road trip to get there is half the fun! Without a decent ride to get there is the rally really worthwoth it? Should I wait for another year? Just rambling here . LOL!

The rally was only 70 miles from me when it was in Johnson City, TN. I along with others, mapped out good crooked mountain rides for out of towners and led some rides on unmappable rides that were great. It's great fun when it is local.

So Close You Can Experience the Spirit of THE RALLY!

I'm from Oregon I've been a member for about 3 years and have really wanted to attend an International Rally... but they've always been too far and/or I've been unable to get the time off work. This coming summer rally dates are perfect and I can get those days off. But geeez... I would love a nice ride to get there... but only 50 miles down I-5 to get to Salem... that just takes the wind out of my sails. Perhaps I'll wait for another year and what I'd consider a funner destination from my point of view. For me the road trip to get there is half the fun! Without a decent ride to get there is the rally really worthwoth it? Should I wait for another year? Just rambling here . LOL!

RDMEASE that is no way to be. The best way to enjoy THE RALLY is to volunteer. If you have never been to a rally this is the rally to go to. You know the roads in the area, you know the great places to go this is the opportunity for you to share Oregon with all the visitors. Show it off! The benefit of a close rally is you can attend all the early pre-rally events! Attend the Rider Performance University, go ride the Iron Butt to the rally and by volunteering at the beer garden or registration you get to meet everyone! This is a perfect time to go to the rally.

If you still have doubts go to the Taproom this Wednesday at 6 p.m. we will be there and we will convince you. Don't want to socialize contact me.

Any discussion about the 'Salem 1000' yet?

Any discussion here about a Saddlesore 1000 for Salem yet? I seem to remember start points for Redmond in Miles City MT and Ely NV which made for some interesting route choices. Maybe we could start near the top left corner of the contiguous USA for instance?

Any discussion here about a Saddlesore 1000 for Salem yet? I seem to remember start points for Redmond in Miles City MT and Ely NV which made for some interesting route choices. Maybe we could start near the top left corner of the contiguous USA for instance?

I know there is strong interest from Mike Kneebone and the Iron Butt Association.

You need to hook up with the guys over in the" Who did not attend because it was too hot" thread! Another reason not to go to the rally" It's too close". :violin It never ends!

RDMEASE that is no way to be. The best way to enjoy THE RALLY is to volunteer. If you have never been to a rally this is the rally to go to. You know the roads in the area, you know the great places to go this is the opportunity for you to share Oregon with all the visitors. Show it off! The benefit of a close rally is you can attend all the early pre-rally events! Attend the Rider Performance University, go ride the Iron Butt to the rally and by volunteering at the beer garden or registration you get to meet everyone! This is a perfect time to go to the rally.

If you still have doubts go to the Taproom this Wednesday at 6 p.m. we will be there and we will convince you. Don't want to socialize contact me.

Or make the trip there a bit longer. I've been known to ride several hundred extra Kms to get to someplace not that far away from home. :thumb

I feel mildly stupid for asking this, but.....

What the newest year bike allowed in the vintage display? Someone said bike has to be at least 35 years old?

If you think that your opinion doesn't matter or isn't even heard, then you just might be mistaken.

Do you think that your opinion just might possibly be in the minority?

My experience has been that ALL opinions are taken seriously and that decisions are made with the majority opinions directing the organization.

Don't agree? Then run for the BoD and see what I'm talking about.

Here is a quote that I penned on another site:

"My 2 cents. Far too much was read into the original comments by the author of this thread. Thicker skin is required by all. I just took the observation of the author as a general comment, nothing more or less. That is the interest of ride reports in that we see the trip through their eyes, you or I may describe something differently but that is the way they saw it. Nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion, that is healthy, but if one wants to carry on taking exception to something that was said, do it in another thread."

Although this was in reference to some folks jumping on some comments in a ride report, the general theme is valid here.

Organizers always do the best that they can. It's not always perfect in the eyes of the beholder, but such is life. If you don't like it, get involved. If you are going to complain offer a solution.

I plan on being there ( have lodging reservations already ) and will enjoy whatever is there.

I feel mildly stupid for asking this, but.....

What the newest year bike allowed in the vintage display? Someone said bike has to be at least 35 years old?

According to the Vintage Committee Chair, bikes up to /6 and R90S are welcome at the Vintage Display. Hope to see your's at the 2013 Rally in Salem.

Last edited:
Smoking Garden?

I suppose that the good o'l MOA dodged a bullet when the voters of Oregon did not pass an initiative decriminalizing recreational use of Marijuana. I wonder what the passage of this measure would have meant to the rally?

I suppose that the good o'l MOA dodged a bullet when the voters of Oregon did not pass an initiative decriminalizing recreational use of Marijuana. I wonder what the passage of this measure would have meant to the rally?

Buncha old guys sitting around getting baked?

Food vendors running out of food at all hours of the day or night?

Tent fires?

:p

It means we could hold the rally in the same place every year because nobody would remember ever having been there before.:doh

No different than a bunch of guys/gals sitting around getting drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back