Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Rally Including current updates

logging in

It's going to be a party!
    Live this day.

If it is anything like Redmond, it will be fantastic. There is so many good motorcycle roads so close to the Rally site, not even talking about on the way there and on the way home.
    Ride Well

I'm planning on being there. I'm planning on 1 volunteer shift a day. I'm planning on having a good time.

I don't care if it's hot, cold, dry, wet, too far away, too close to Redmond, too well attended, not as many attendees as ??, whatever. At least we have a Rally to plan for and attend. What would it be like if the Rally was discontinued?

Maybe it's time I bump my "Great Things about Rallys" thread.
    I will be doing the same!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    OUCH !!! Fiordman.
    Where did this that come from???
    I'm the National Beer Chair and as such, have been involved in "stuff" both in front of, and behind, the curtain.
    I really think that the BoD cares about this club. We do NOT do this for personal aggrandisement.
    I personally spend 7 days, 0900 to 0100 at the Beer Tent. And many hours after that wrapping up last year, and already working with the Chairs for next year.
    Chill Dude
    MAD DOG
    NAT BEER CHAIR
    Jim, you and your crew do a GREAT job. I'll be volunteering to pour in 2013.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Is that a gimmie?
    I just booked our hotel for the 2013 rally. We were looking for a reason to head to the PNW next year so this is perfect.

My wife will fly and I'll ride. I'm near Chicago and will be looking for someone to ride out there with if anyone is interested.

A great summer

Hey Deb, thanks for the advance info

My summer will start with my oldest son's graduation from Reed College in Portland.

Three years ago I took him to freshman year in the Adventure hack and my plan is to pick him up from Graduation and go for a ride so I'll blast west in May and leave the rig in Portland.

Later in the summer we'll ship Chace's bike west as part of the "YB Airlift". If I'm lucky we'll ship Corbett's bike too; then Chace, Corbett, Alexis (9yr old niece) and I can use the rally as a launch point for a leisurely tour home.

'11 R1200RT '12 F800GS BlackDenis's Avatar

Question Rally noob

As previously posted, I've not attended a rally. I read that some have reserved hotel rooms, but I'm wondering about camping; what space will be available etc. etc.
    Maybe it should be a different thread, but it would be nice to have a "Rally for Virgins" or something like that.
    Degeneracy can be fun but it's hard to keep up as a serious lifetime occupation. R. M. Persig

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDenis View Post
    As previously posted, I've not attended a rally. I read that some have reserved hotel rooms, but I'm wondering about camping; what space will be available etc. etc.
    Maybe it should be a different thread, but it would be nice to have a "Rally for Virgins" or something like that.
    My wife and I were "rally virgins" this year. Don't worry. There will be plenty of camping available. Just make your plans now to attend.

Now as a virgin this year, speaking to another "virgin", one thing I would point out. The rally runs from Thursday thru Saturday. But I now know that most of the things going on take place Thursday thru Friday. If you want to attend several presentations, you really need to be there on Thursday and stay til the thing is over on Saturday night.

Pay attention to the times of the various presentations in the MOA Magazine and you will see that very few are available on Saturday. Most take place on Thursday and Friday. I sa this before we went, but could not get to the rally until Friday night. Thus we missed several presentations.

'09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    But I now know that most of the things going on take place Thursday thru Friday.
    From my perspective, Thursday is kind of a check-in day and things are just beginning. Most seminars ran Friday and Saturday, although they may have tapered off towards the end of Saturday.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDenis View Post
    Lots of camping space. If you can arrive on Wednesday, you can volunteer to help and also get to set up early. There is a lot of fun things to do to help get ready and your help will make a big difference. I did that at my first Rally at West Bend and met people immediately, felt like part of the effort which was rewarding and continue to see folks at other rallies that I met there.

It is all good. But no matter when you come, you will find a place to camp.

Just be sure you don't camp next to the Black Sheep.
    Ride Well

2013 BMW MOA Rally Chair bmwDeb's Avatar

Vineyards - Are there any in the Area???

If you are wondering if there are any vineyards in the Salem area, there are but only 40 in Marion County. The surrounding area has well over 150 vineyards.

Chemeketa Community College (located in Salem) has a Viticulture Program where students learn how to produce and market wines. Don't ask how the Rally Team knows, but the wine produced at the College is fine.

In the works are vineyard tours operated by private companies with pick-up and delivery at the rally grounds. We want you to have a good time enjoying the vineyards and not worrying about riding. Expect to see details on the tours after the first of the year.

Deb Lower
    2013 Rally Chair

2013 BMW MOA Rally Chair bmwDeb's Avatar

Dorm Rooms

The area colleges and universities are being asked if they have dorm rooms available during the Rally. We are working on this lodging option.

Deb Lower
    2013 Rally Chair

Arrow "Stuff"

I tagged along with the Rally team to Salem last week.
    #1: good excuse to ride 3K (with Deb).
    #2: the secret password, which the people of Salem wish was less secret is...."Pino Noir"
    #3 The evergreen trees are spectacular: varierty, size, shapes
    #4 The Oregon coast is incredible
    #5 Route 242 between Sisters and Route 126, move over dragon, what a ride!

Live this day.

[QUOTE=razz2234;809366]' The info below is the essential part of an article for an upcoming ON (no sooner than) November.

The train departure/arrival times may vary by a few minutes by next July, but not by much.

TRAIN SCHEDULES

Westbound - MONDAY, CAPITOL LIMITED, ETD D.C. SUNDAY, JULY 14 @ 4:05 P.M.; ETA CHICAGO 8:45 A.M. THE NEXT MORNING, JULY 15.

EMPIRE BUILDER - ETD CHICAGO 2:15 P.M. JULY 15, ETA PORTLAND 10:10 A.M. ON THURSDAY JULY 18.

Eastbound - EMPIRE BUILDER - ETD PORTLAND 4:45 P.M., SUNDAY, JULY 21; ETA CHICAGO 3:55 P.M. TUESDAY, JULY 23;

LEAVE CHICAGO 6:10 P.M. ON TUESDAY, JULY 23, ON THE CAPITOL LIMITED; ETA D.C. 12:40 P.M. ON WEDNESDAY, JULY 24.

I was looking into booking travel with Amtrak, something doesnt seem right on the west bound trip from Chicago.

The Empire Builder leaves Chicago daily, and arrives in Portland almost 46 hours later. That means a 2:15pm departure from Chicago on Sunday the 14th, would mean it arrives on Tuesday morning the 16th, not Thursday morning the 18th as claimed above.

The return timing is correct.

I'm thinking of doing this, but has anyone else booked yet? I'd like to be on the same train as a rally group.
    2008 R12R
    2009 HD Ultra Classic

Cool Good Oregon Beers

Quote Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
    I'll ask THE most important question...................

What kind of beer at the Beer garden?
    We can sure hope for some Black Butte Porter. Deschutes Brewery puts out some great beer. The bier meisters have plenty of good ones to choose from.
    -Sirby
    WSBMWR
    Sirby
    WSBMWR
    Seattle, WA