• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Kevlar Jeans

markaz

Rather than hijack the mesh gear thread I'll start another.

Anyone wear kevlar jeans or cargo pants? I'm considering a pair of Sliders with knee armor.

I got a pair of Draggin Jeans a couple of months ago. Kevlar only, no hard armour.

They have a very comfortable cut and flow air well. I am very pleased with them as an alternative to regular jeans or full armour.

I got a pair of Draggin Jeans a couple of months ago. Kevlar only, no hard armour.

They have a very comfortable cut and flow air well. I am very pleased with them as an alternative to regular jeans or full armour.

+1 what he said. Only drawback is they get HOT if you hike in them in really warm weather.

I have Deaggin & Diamond Gusset kevlar lined jeans. The Diamond Gusset jeans are more comfortable and have velcro straps at the ankle allowing you to adjust for airflow. Both jeans are very well made. Ride Safe

I wear some Draggin jeans with a mesh jacket. They do breathe but not as much as I thought they would. The large Kevlar patch on the knees must stop some of the air and the denim is seriously thick fabric. And I have found the Kevlar knee patches a bit scratchy and uncomfortable on my delicate skin ;)

I tried the knee armor sold by the Draggin company but could never get it to stay put using the Velcro they provided. By opening the upper seam on the knee patches about halfway across, I am able to insert some knee pads from an old Aerostich Roadcrafter. The pads fit perfectly between the demim and Kevlar layers and offer some real protection. To keep the stitching from unraveling where I snipped it, I just dabbed a little glue on it (I'm no tailor!)

That said, I think I'd try the gusset-crotch jeans next time for the extra freedom.

pete

I've worn a pair of Slider Cargo pants for about 4 years now. The ones I have just have the Kevlar, no additional armor or padding. They are very well made and durable. The cargo pockets are very handy for holding glasses, cameras, etc.

A couple of observaions. The seat rise is short, I always need a long tail shirt to tuck in. The thread holding the buttons can tend to unravel. I found tying the thread resolved the issue. They are definitely hot above 90 (partially depends on your bike and it's cooling method). They will not be very comfortable to hike around in above 90.

-mc

I wear crotchless kevlar jeans so not only do they protect but they are sexy at the same time.

My wife has being wearing a pair of women's Draggin' Jeans for nearly a year now. We got her the optional knee armor too. She wears nearly every time she's on the back as she's not really fond of the look of the Tourmaster pants she has (she is a woman). She say's they're warm in the summer but not uncomfortable. She doesn't always use the armor but said when moving slow or in traffic they make her knees sweat is all. She says you barely know the armor is there.

And as a shameless plug, she wrote about them: http://ourbmw.wordpress.com/2011/09/11/when-you-let-your-hubby-buy-your-jeans/

Diamond Gusset does not offer relaxed fit, which Draggin Jeans does. Relaxed fit means a lower crotch, which I definitely need. The same as Wrangler, which I wear all the time not on the bike. Relaxed fit with a lower crotch. Most necessary for me.
dc

I bought a pair of Draggin jeans on '09 wore them during the summer and found that they were hotter in the but area than leather. Made for real uncomfortable ride. They're been sitting on a shelf somewhere ever since

I have a pair of relaxed fit Draggin Jeans. I wear them on really hot days here instead of my mesh pants. The mesh allow too much moisture to escape without allowing any evap cooling. So on long highway runs, I put water on the jeans and am much more comfortable. I also switch to cotton shirts from wicking fabrics too. That's for 95 degree and higher riding. Below that, I stick with mesh and wicking fabric.

I'm in central Texas, BTW. I'd agree that the jeans are warmer than the mesh in the lower 90's.

I have a pair of relaxed fit Draggin Jeans. I wear them on really hot days here instead of my mesh pants. The mesh allow too much moisture to escape without allowing any evap cooling. So on long highway runs, I put water on the jeans and am much more comfortable. I also switch to cotton shirts from wicking fabrics too. That's for 95 degree and higher riding. Below that, I stick with mesh and wicking fabric.

I'm in central Texas, BTW. I'd agree that the jeans are warmer than the mesh in the lower 90's.

So that would mean you're wearing the jeans from June through September since it's always at LEAST 95 during those months.

Kind of. This year I wore the mesh longer. And actually I commute in fairly early in the morning so I will still use the mesh then and just figure I'll suffer on the way home.

I'm more likely to wear the draggin jeans when I know I'll be out during the day. The protection on the mesh is much better since it has armor.

Rather than hijack the mesh gear thread I'll start another.

Anyone wear kevlar jeans or cargo pants? I'm considering a pair of Sliders with knee armor.

I drove to my local competition accessories in Rock Hill, SC and tried on several pair of the "Sliders" kevlar pants. IMHO, they are very cheap in their construction and poorly sized. They just seemed awkward to me. The armor was poorly aligned for me anyway, I'll pass.

One word of caution about kevlar jeans. I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence but the kevlar lining will only protect you from road rash. You'll need some serious knee/shin/hip armor for impact protection. And if the jeans are baggy as they apprear to be, they'll most likely slide up in a crash and leave your skin exposed.

I have a couple of pairs of the Draggin" Jeans and generally like them. I have wondered how much protection they really offer should I go down.

Do we have anyone with a kevlar crash experience who'd be willing to share? :brow

I have a couple of pairs of the Draggin" Jeans and generally like them. I have wondered how much protection they really offer should I go down.

Do we have anyone with a kevlar crash experience who'd be willing to share? :brow

On the Draggin' Jeans website he has a video where he's towed behind a truck in the parking lot while sitting on his butt.

http://dragginjeans.com/custom.aspx?id=1 Or go to the "About Us" page on their web site.

Back