• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where can I find a copy of BMW's 2 year parts and Labor Warranty statement

espressoforyou

Does anybody know where I can find a copy or link stating that BMW dealer installed parts are covered by a two year parts and labor warranty? Thanks for your help.

1200gs, 2005 parts and labor 2 year warrant statement-merged with Motorrad thread

Does any body no where I can find a copy or link of the 2 year parts and labor warranty statement for dealer installed BMW parts?

Did you buy the bike new? If you did (in the US) it came with a warranty booklet titled

Consumer Warranty Information
2005 U.S.Motorcycles

On page 24 starts the section titled "Limited Warranty --- Original BMW Motorcycle Parts" discusses the 24 months with no mileage restriction warranty.

Then there is this pdf: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en...ssories/media/WPPM_MotorradPartsStatement.pdf

The first paragraph of that PDF is worded that same as some of the content in my '05 Consumer Warranty Information booklet.

Did you buy the bike new? If you did (in the US) it came with a warranty booklet titled

Consumer Warranty Information
2005 U.S.Motorcycles

On page 24 starts the section titled "Limited Warranty --- Original BMW Motorcycle Parts" discusses the 24 months with no mileage restriction warranty.

Then there is this pdf: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en...ssories/media/WPPM_MotorradPartsStatement.pdf

The first paragraph of that PDF is worded that same as some of the content in my '05 Consumer Warranty Information booklet.

Interesting. I did not understand the issue of labor previously. I looks like the labor is covered if originally installed by a dealer, but no labor covered otherwise. Still, that is a generous warranty in my estimation. But then again, warranty is often only as good as the dealer you are dealing with...at first try.

Interesting. I did not understand the issue of labor previously. I looks like the labor is covered if originally installed by a dealer, but no labor covered otherwise. .

This is what Norman at Engle Motors told me several years ago.

Still no confirmation on 2 year LABOR warranty on parts

Thanks Marchyman for the information.

I read page 24 in the Consumer Warranty booklet and I did not see anything about the LABOR being covered for 24 months when a new BMW part is installed by a BMW dealer. I might have overlooked it.

Found it in a earlier thread.

The original thread is in the Hexhead forum.

Attachments

• WPPM_MotorradPartsStatement.pdf
    35.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Thanks Lee, you found it.

For everybody else reading this post the last paragraph in the 1st column explains that the parts and labor are covered for two years. I copied paragraphs from the first column of the link Lee posted. When you read the paragraphs together it states that BOTH Parts and Labor are covered for two years. Thanks Lee for finding this statement.

"Sold On or After April 1, 2003
BMW of North America warrants
Original BMW Parts, and Original
Remanufactured BMW Parts,
imported by BMW of North America
and installed by an authorized BMW
motorcycle dealer, purchased over
the counter or by mail order from an
authorized BMW motorcycle dealer,
against defects in materials and
workmanship for a period of 24
months without mileage limitations,
commencing with the date of
purchase"

"The warranty period shall commence
from the date of installation on all
original or original remanufactured
parts installed by an authorized BMW
motorcycle dealer. Warranty on parts
replaced during the warranty period
will remain in effect for the duration of
the vehicle warranty or the
replacement parts warranty,
whichever is longer"

"To obtain service under this warranty
for parts installed by an authorized
BMW motorcycle dealer, the BMW
motorcycle must be presented to an
authorized BMW motorcycle dealer.
Upon presentation of the original
repair order invoice or bill-of-sale
showing the installation date and
BMW part number, the dealer will
repair or replace said part(s) or
accessories covered by this warranty
without charge for parts or labor to the
customer."

The last paragraph covers something I never asked.
Looks like you don't have to return to the same dealer that made the original repairs.
This is a good thing if you're on a trip, have a repair done on the West Coast, and the part fails when you're home on the East Coast.

Good point about being on the road.

I wonder if you have to carry all your receipts with you or if the out of state dealer is able to pull up you purchase and service history from another dealer. If not then we need to have the receipts scanned and stored on a cloud to be able to access them on the road.

I wonder if you have to carry all your receipts with you or if the out of state dealer is able to pull up you purchase and service history from another dealer. If not then we need to have the receipts scanned and stored on a cloud to be able to access them on the road.

Other dealers can only pull up warranty repairs, they can't see a record of service work done by another dealer.
Your local dealer could probably email or fax a copy of your receipt if you asked, but like you said it might be a good idea to keep a hard copy or electronic copy of receipts with you when on a trip.

Warranty Repairs

I keep PDFs of all parts purchased and service performed which I name using ISO date format and description. That way I can present anything that I might have had a subsequent issue with.

Kent

Several members sent me this information

For everybody else reading this post the last paragraph in the 1st column explains that the parts and labor are covered for two years. I copied paragraphs from the first column of the link Lee posted. When you read the paragraphs together it states that BOTH Parts and Labor are covered for two years. Thanks Lee for finding this statement.

"Sold On or After April 1, 2003
BMW of North America warrants
Original BMW Parts, and Original
Remanufactured BMW Parts,
imported by BMW of North America
and installed by an authorized BMW
motorcycle dealer, purchased over
the counter or by mail order from an
authorized BMW motorcycle dealer,
against defects in materials and
workmanship for a period of 24
months without mileage limitations,
commencing with the date of
purchase"

"The warranty period shall commence
from the date of installation on all
original or original remanufactured
parts installed by an authorized BMW
motorcycle dealer. Warranty on parts
replaced during the warranty period
will remain in effect for the duration of
the vehicle warranty or the
replacement parts warranty,
whichever is longer"

"To obtain service under this warranty
for parts installed by an authorized
BMW motorcycle dealer, the BMW
motorcycle must be presented to an
authorized BMW motorcycle dealer.
Upon presentation of the original
repair order invoice or bill-of-sale
showing the installation date and
BMW part number, the dealer will
repair or replace said part(s) or
accessories covered by this warranty
without charge for parts or labor to the
customer."

Thanks for everybody help.

In case anybody's missing the point, the parts are warranted ONLY if installed by an official BMW dealer.

Interesting. I did not understand the issue of labor previously. I looks like the labor is covered if originally installed by a dealer, but no labor covered otherwise.

Read carefully--PARTS not covered either if not installed by BMW dealer.

Read carefully--PARTS not covered either if not installed by BMW dealer.

This makes it sound like it does not have to be installed by a dealer.

To obtain service under this warranty
for parts purchased over the counter
or by mail order from an authorized
BMW motorcycle retailer, the
defective part(s) or accessories must
be brought to an authorized BMW
motorcycle dealer. Upon presentation
of the original sales invoice showing
the purchase date and BMW part
number, the BMW dealer will repair or
replace said part(s) or accessories
covered by this warranty free of
charge. This warranty does not cover
labor costs for the removal or
installation of the part(s) or
accessories.

Could you copy and paste the section that makes it sound like it has to be installed by dealer?

In case anybody's missing the point, the parts are warranted ONLY if installed by an official BMW dealer.
This does not show it needs to be installed by a dealer.
I didn't find where it states it needs to be installed by a dealer, but it may be staring me in the face and I missed it :)

To obtain service under this warranty
for parts purchased over the counter
or by mail order from an authorized
BMW motorcycle retailer, the
defective part(s) or accessories must
be brought to an authorized BMW
motorcycle dealer. Upon presentation
of the original sales invoice showing
the purchase date and BMW part
number, the BMW dealer will repair or
replace said part(s) or accessories
covered by this warranty free of
charge. This warranty does not cover
labor costs for the removal or
installation of the part(s) or
accessories.

The quick story is..

Parts are covered - but labor is not - if the parts were installed by other then a dealer. If the parts were installed by a dealer, parts and labor are covered.

Simple.

Back