• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Brake Failure Light-2004 R1150RTP

Bill Lumberg
2004 R1150RTP. Thrice in the past two days, during or just following a stop, I had the warning (bulb) triangle and the brake failure lights come on. The triangle would go out almost immediately. The brake failure light would flash for about 5 seconds, then go out. No noticeable difference in braking. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Darn it. Meant to put in title. 2004 R1150RTP, iABS. Thanks rxc

Last edited:
At idle, several times in traffic, warning lights would come on and brake servos would stop. Looks electrical rather than brake related. Got to figure out if it's the battery or something else.

At idle, several times in traffic, warning lights would come on and brake servos would stop. Looks electrical rather than brake related. Got to figure out if it's the battery or something else.

Bill, Do you have or have access to a GS-911? The latest SW release has a new set of ABS function test. RB

Minor wording change to iABS2CAN (2nd generation (non-servo) ABS on CAN bikes)
General minor bug fixes and wording changes
Added S1000RR reset all adaptation (and relearn)
Changed Lamda plot colours to be more visible (to magenta and yellow)
Changed VIN check - If VIN check fails on invalid BMW VIN's, don't stop, instead just indicate "invalid VIN"
Updated Fault Code Freeze Frame Data, to ignore invalid Factory test data
Added mls <-> km Coding for KOMBI, KOMBI7x,KOMBIK46

Adding Integral (servo) ABS functionality (for 1150and non-CAN K1200): ABS Bleed Tests, Status, Output Tests, Sensor Drift Test

Updated USB driver

Based on multimeter readings and remote guidance, replaced the batt. Odyssey PC680 or whatever it was was not a direct fit. Took a while and some bracket modifications. No worries for a day. Then today, after the highway commute with no problems, same symptoms upon arrival. Coasting into parking garage at idle, iabs applied, brake fail light flashing and servo fade until I increased revs. No probs starting upon leaving, and keeping revs at no less than 1800 all the way home, even at stops, no further problems. Thoughts?

alternator?

Have you checked voltage at idle and when revved above 1800 RPM?

terminals / plugs?

Have you pulled apart all electrical connections related to the ABS to check for corrosion, loose terminals, bent pins, etc.?

Agree with RXC; also -
Sounds like your new battery may not be FULLY charged - get it on a trickler for at least a full day or two.
Possibly something else is sucking the power away...?

My mechanic says "the manual" has simple diagnostic tests I can do with a multimeter to isolate which part/system is malfunctioning. I'm trying to diagnose prior to taking it in so parts can be on hand beforehand. It's a little over my head, but I think I can figure it out with the right reference guide. I rode 85 miles round trip yesterday, avoiding anything below 2K as much as possible (at lights, etc.) and had no issues. So I'm generating power, just not an adequate amount at idle. If I were constantly running a deficit, I think I'd have experienced battery failure over the past week.

Last edited:
Back