• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How will we be remembered by Sedalia?

Packing a transistor radio for local talk radio is fun at the MOA rally.
At Johnson City TN they had 2 guys on radio each morning that spent hours raving about the "new city built at the fairgrounds".

I would look around while listening, and get a new perspective on what was accomplished.

They would take calls from locals, and it was all positive, and it was not like when they heard the news of a "biker rally" coming. (Not a wet T-Shirt contest to be found)

They spent a lot of time advising residents to "look twice" there are bikes everywhere.

Since I live here in Sedalia and operate a business here i will have to tell you that this organization made a huge impression. There have been numerous comments in the paper about the organization of this large of group, how the fairgrounds was left so clean come Sunday and the revenue it brought into our city.

I talked to several vendors set up at the rally and all have said they did quite well.

Sorry about the heat but thats just July in Missouri.

You bet, we would love to host another rally for the MOA

I especially liked the comment in Sedline about BMW riders wearing so much gear that the author supposed they were ashamed they weren't riding Harley's and therefore didn't want to be recognized.:rofl

The friendly folks at the lions club food stand, said they were told the MOA would be back. They hoped it was soon. They did really well. They even opened a little early on Sunday to catch some of the exit traffic.

I hope they do come back, it can't be that hot again:bolt

Rod

If Sedalia is chosen as a future site I would be happy to return. The fairgrounds and facilities are first rate. Ride safe

Fire suit?

As I waited for my hubby to catch up to me in the parking lot in front K-mart , a curious woman stopped me and asked if I was wearing a "fire suit". Fully geared in 100+ degree heat I wanted to say YES!!!!, but instead I explained the protective purpose of my riding gear, that air flows though the mesh panels and that I hoped fire wouldn't be involved. Though she still thought it looked like a "fire suit", she smiled and welcomed us warmly to her town.

Everyone we met in Sedalia was very friendly. I made a point of thanking the ladies I often saw keeping the bathrooms clean, refreshed and nice for those in attendance. One lady thanked me and simply said "no one likes to use a dirty restroom".

As I waited for my hubby to catch up to me in the parking lot in front K-mart , a curious woman stopped me and asked if I was wearing a "fire suit". Fully geared in 100+ degree heat I wanted to say YES!!!!, but instead I explained the protective purpose of my riding gear, that air flows though the mesh panels and that I hoped fire wouldn't be involved. Though she still thought it looked like a "fire suit", she smiled and welcomed us warmly to her town.

Everyone we met in Sedalia was very friendly. I made a point of thanking the ladies I often saw keeping the bathrooms clean, refreshed and nice for those in attendance. One lady thanked me and simply said "no one likes to use a dirty restroom".

On a like situation we once were traveling a NC Interstate, at a rest stop some people that saw us asked if we worked at a nuclear power station.

Scuba Steve

Protective gear is not something these folks see much it appears. We were over the dam/reservoir area. We were kindly refered to a local BBQ place, also known for its Asian food! This we had to try. Not bad. On way out, locals asked if we're diving the reservoir with all the gear we had on! My buddy was in GS boots and attire and I just had on a vented pant and jacket. It must have been the helmets:thumb.

Cheers!

Mark Sanford

Sedalia memories of BMW MOA

I happened to stop in Sedalia Friday to catch part of the MO State Fair. In the "general admission parking" area I was asked if I'd been there for the BMW rally. I said, "Yes" and was told, "You guys were great!" Inside the fair I stopped by the Sedalia Chamber of Commerce booth and was treated like royalty! They couldn't say enough about how much the appreciated having us "as their guest" last month. Sedalia remembers us fondly. :thumb

I agree with Jerry.

(snip)
Had my rear brake pads that had self-destructed in the triple-digit heat over a long ride to Sedalia (OK, OK - I was at the Dragon over Father's Day weekend with my son!) replaced at Yeager's Cycle - an H-D dealership! Red-carpet treatment! Ordered in proper pads and completed the service in an hour on Thursday - quality work and $52 (pads & labor). They too were happy we were in town.

Kudos! :thumb

Just a note here: Rick Yeager (former owner of Yeager's Cycle - it's a family business and he's passed it down through the family) was a great help in putting together local rides for us. At the end of the rally he asked if he could have any "leftover" copies of the "Sedalia Insider" (the local info booklet we put together for the Hospitality Booth) to share with the upcoming HOG rally. Even the local HD community was impressed!

Thanks to all who attended, that great impression of BMW riders will be remembered well for the others who happen to ride into Sedalia!

Don Hamblin
Hospitality Chair, 40th Annual "Howlin' at the Moon" BMW MOA International Rally

My last evening around 4PM, a MO. State Trooper full of a Sgt., a Senior Officer and his tall Son stopped by the GSGiants Camp. They passed my tent and were observing some of our faithful Giants riding the course from their patrol car. As they came back by my camp, I waved, stopped'em and asked IF they'd ever seen such on such huge bikes? A NICE conversation outside their car insued and soooo many questions and sincere interest in our GSAs came out of these guys:). We had a wonderful chat for 15 minutes at my campsite, GSA the topic. Absolutely fascinated, these guys and they WERE IMPRESSED by our presense and general appearance of this biker org., MOA.....! I think I sold some BMWs:). Randy:thumb
On the news tonight, the Missouri highway patrol has their first patrol bike. A Harley Davidson. Sorry about the commission. You tried. We do have a HD plant in KC so your odds were low

Rod

Back