• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How will we be remembered by Sedalia?

JDOCKERY132445

OldBMWMaster
I had a terrific time at the rally and met quite a few locals and every single person was helpful and welcoming.

It started at 10 PM on Sunday night as Don Friedwald and I pulled into the convenience store on Highway 65. A gentleman in his 60s approached us to talk about our bikes and invited us to his house for anything we might need during the rally. He lived across the street from gate 4. He also told me the only way to get into the fairgrounds at night was Gate 6A; the RV entrance.

I was offered coupons at Hardees Monday morning by a very nice lady and that was just the beginning of continued signs of welcome displayed towards me.

I organized a tour of one of the factories located in Sedalia, Sierra Bullets, and they rolled out the red carpet.

We were featured on their Facebook;

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sierra-Bullets/413695128655695

This was an incredible venue and we were surrounded by great local folks who made us all feel welcome.

Thanks to the selection committee.

I never saw any links to local newspapers as to how we conducted ourselves, etc. I seem to recall that Ray Z. said we'd come into town and leave the town in better shape because of it. I wonder if that's how they saw it.

We heard in our motel one morning a local cop talking to the desk clerk. He said things had been pretty quiet...he hadn't had to do much with all the bikes in town.

I agree with Jerry.

I rolled in Monday evening - gassed up at Casey's General Store and mentioned a need to keep plenty of non-ethanol premium on hand for the BMW crowd. They said they had topped off Sunday night, and planned to keep an eye on their fuel supply, welcoming all who dropped in. Nice folks.

Had my rear brake pads that had self-destructed in the triple-digit heat over a long ride to Sedalia (OK, OK - I was at the Dragon over Father's Day weekend with my son!) replaced at Yeager's Cycle - an H-D dealership! Red-carpet treatment! Ordered in proper pads and completed the service in an hour on Thursday - quality work and $52 (pads & labor). They too were happy we were in town.

Had some problems (room door left wide open by housekeeping all day on Tuesday, no Wi-Fi service, troubles with key cards, vending, etc.) at local motel. Apologies and two nights excused from the final bill. They'd love to have us come back.

Local attitudes combined with outstanding facility (MO State Fair Grounds) - Chuck, Julie and Bob hit a homerun with this site.

Kudos! :thumb

In speaking with a "higher-up" fairgrounds employee on Sunday morning, he said that he has seen MANY groups come and go at the fairgrounds. NEVER has he seen a group so large, and so well organized, as MOA. And so respectful and easy to work with. He didn't miss much either as he remarked that I was one of the first to arrive, and one of the last to leave. {Must have been the bumblebee!}

MAD DOG
Nat Beer Chair:drink

replaced at Yeager's Cycle - an H-D dealership! Red-carpet treatment! Ordered in proper pads and completed the service in an hour on Thursday - quality work and $52 (pads & labor).

I've also seen stunningly good service from an HD dealer when a riding buddy lost his headlight on a multiday ride a few years ago. Turned out to be a pinched cable harness. No appointment, we were in and out in less than an hour. Cost was under $100. Dealer was in Troy, NY.

We had good experiences at most of the few places that we went outside of the Fair Grounds. I think that most of the people had a favorable impression of the MOA members. Luckily we will not base our opinion of Sedalia on the experience at our motel, a totally horrible experience from the start. I would love to have been reimbersed for a night or two of our stay instead of being charged more than my reservation confirmation rate plus having to put up with the very unpleasant conditions of the room. I have addressed that with the Sedalia Chamber of Commerce and with a review on TripAdvisor. We had a great time at the rally and enjoyed Sedalia and hope that they enjoyed having the MOA members. We would go back.

I became a local!

On my first morning I scoped out the local donut shop based on a recommendation of a friend who used to live there. I arrived at Papa Jakes at 6:30am (in full gear) and the locals sipping coffee were quick to chat me up. A few minutes later, the above mentioned friend showed up.

The next morning, I passed this friend on my way back to Papa Jakes. As I walked in, the same 4 locals informed me that I was late and my friend just left. We talked about the rally and they also commented on what a great group we seemed to be. As I was leaving, they reminded me to be on time and they were saving my seat for the following morning.

What a great group of folks. Everyone I encountered both on the fairgrounds and off, seemed pleased. The cashier at the MO Beef House even said that we were "much nicer folks than any other group she's seen come and go."

Well done, everyone!

I'm sure the Missouri Hog Rally will leave their own memorable impression Sept 20-23. They are expecting 5,000 I believe.

In speaking with a "higher-up" fairgrounds employee on Sunday morning, he said that he has seen MANY groups come and go at the fairgrounds. NEVER has he seen a group so large, and so well organized, as MOA...
MAD DOG
Nat Beer Chair:drink

With apriori apologies to any generals or colonels reading this, even the US Army cannot move 5,000 people in and out of a community as well as does the BMW MOA.

On my first morning I scoped out the local donut shop based on a recommendation of a friend who used to live there. I arrived at Papa Jakes at 6:30am (in full gear) and the locals sipping coffee were quick to chat me up. A few minutes later, the above mentioned friend showed up.

The next morning, I passed this friend on my way back to Papa Jakes. As I walked in, the same 4 locals informed me that I was late and my friend just left. We talked about the rally and they also commented on what a great group we seemed to be. As I was leaving, they reminded me to be on time and they were saving my seat for the following morning.

What a great group of folks. Everyone I encountered both on the fairgrounds and off, seemed pleased. The cashier at the MO Beef House even said that we were "much nicer folks than any other group she's seen come and go."

Well done, everyone!
Tracy, everyone is nice to royalty. :wave

Locals have a sense of humor

The night before packing up I realized the bolt holding on my top case had disappeared, and that just wouldn't do. So turning right out of the gate I ran into a farm and fleet type store, except they only sold nuts and bolts by the pound. Well here I am at the cashier, full dress, with a bolt, nut and washer in my hand for her to weigh. My total bill was a $0.05. She and the other clerks laughed their butts off... and said they met a lot of really nice people from the rally, but I was definitely the cheapest!

At that point I laughed... and then asked for a receipt. :thumb

Certainly hope Sedalia ends up on the rotation list in the future.

MO.Troopers:)

My last evening around 4PM, a MO. State Trooper full of a Sgt., a Senior Officer and his tall Son stopped by the GSGiants Camp. They passed my tent and were observing some of our faithful Giants riding the course from their patrol car. As they came back by my camp, I waved, stopped'em and asked IF they'd ever seen such on such huge bikes? A NICE conversation outside their car insued and soooo many questions and sincere interest in our GSAs came out of these guys:). We had a wonderful chat for 15 minutes at my campsite, GSA the topic. Absolutely fascinated, these guys and they WERE IMPRESSED by our presense and general appearance of this biker org., MOA.....! I think I sold some BMWs:). Randy:thumb

Funny:)

We actually talked State Police Bikes and MO. has so few, only in their bigger city areas. These guys seemed so tight, all wrapped up in their uniforms and car and I know it did them WELL to get out and chat it up. They were very fun to meet and loved the events, all the bikes. My GSA was a hit and I should have let'em sit on it. I failed. The Son was soooo tall too, so the GSA was a gleam in his eye:). Randy:thumb

We got some nice comments from the guys working the audio/visual saying they were happy with the crowd and how well behaved and non-cranky people were.
We videotaped one Missouri State Trooper saying -"You guys are rock solid".

Mac

Since I live here in Sedalia and operate a business here i will have to tell you that this organization made a huge impression. There have been numerous comments in the paper about the organization of this large of group, how the fairgrounds was left so clean come Sunday and the revenue it brought into our city.

I talked to several vendors set up at the rally and all have said they did quite well.

Sorry about the heat but thats just July in Missouri.

You bet, we would love to host another rally for the MOA

We got some nice comments from the guys working the audio/visual saying they were happy with the crowd and how well behaved and non-cranky people were.
We videotaped one Missouri State Trooper saying -"You guys are rock solid".

Mac

Well how much mayhem can a bunch of old men in truckers hats and suspenders create any way? :bar:nyah

Back