• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fingerlakes Rally - Watkins Glen Labor Day Weekend

My wife and I have hotel reservations. We don't camp. This will be our first BMW rally. We're watching the weather also and a family member issue that may cause us to cancel.
We hope to be there. My new seat arrived for my GSA so we're ready for a multiday test ride.

I didn't see anything on the website. Is there a daily entrance fee if you just want to come in and tour the vendors, etc. one afternoon and can't stay longer?

I didn't see anything on the website. Is there a daily entrance fee if you just want to come in and tour the vendors, etc. one afternoon and can't stay longer?

Yes, can't remember how much.

You have to park your bike outside the main entrance in a parking area & walk in.

Who all is going?

This is my first time attending, who else is going? Getting excited anticipating another rally. :dance

Susan and I , along with Boxer Shorts Editor John Shields, and his wife Annette are staying down the street at the Seneca Lodge. Hope to see you all.

I have been going to this rally since '08 and have never done the ride on the track. Has anyone here done it? I don't seem to find too much information on how it is run. Do they pace you? I would have to think they would so people don't go into the corners too hot and what not.

Any space in a bunkhouse?

I got the word his week that all of the bunkhouses are booked by local clubs for Finger Lakes. Since I don't tent camp anymore, I guess I'll cancel any plan I had to attend. The arthritis has made it impossible to get up off the ground in the morning.

Is anyone here in charge of their club's reserved bunkhouse who might be able to get me a bunk?

If not, I guess I'll just take a ride around SE Ohio.

Hey Jim;
I sent a message to the group from the Beemer Barn in upstate NY to see if they have an extra bunk.
I will get back to you.

I have been going to this rally since '08 and have never done the ride on the track. Has anyone here done it? I don't seem to find too much information on how it is run. Do they pace you? I would have to think they would so people don't go into the corners too hot and what not.

I've never ridden my bike on the track but I raced 4 wheels there for about 20 years. It's a fast road course and yes they do pace you although some guys in the mid pack will slow up so they can get some speed up for a short while. The place is not designed for motorcycles but they'll go fast enough so to give you an idea of what it's like to go fast. You should do it, it's a wonderful track with a great history and it's nothing of what it looks like on TV.

A possibility of a visit from a guy name Isaac..or parts of.. this weekend?

We won't know for a few more days.

I'm stuck babysitting my daughter's dog that weekend. How's that for an excuse? She and the grandkids have watched my dog, so it's my turn. Maybe I can make an appearance for a few hours. It's a short ride for me.

Harry

Success

Looks as though I have a bunk arranged for the rally. See you there, creek not risin'.

Bank account says no, but what the heck, I'm checking the weather reports. So far it looks good...

Seriously in debt right now, but what the heck. So far the weather is looking good. You and Dianne going to be there?

Don't shoot the messenger

As a fairly new member to the Fingerlakes BMW club, I'll take a stab at answering a few questions.

Is there a day pass available? YES! ( http://fingerlakesbmw.org/rally/fldaypass.php )

Track Ride: Many years ago they did race bikes at Watkins Glen, however there is not enough run off for bikes so they stopped. That said the ride is three laps following a leader. Yes you can hang back and get some speed, but there is also a tail rider (and no passing allowed). That being said this is not a track day event!

Current Weather forecast: It will be in the low 80's during the day and a low in upper 50's at night. Friday is the exception with a high in low 90s. Remnants of Issac are not being called for until Monday, and that's after it proceeds up through an extremely dry part of the country.

Daytime cooling off? Take a ride to Seneca lake or one of the many nearby waterfalls: http://www.watkinsglenchamber.com/H.../Outdoor-activities/Water-and-waterfalls.aspx

Last edited:
Back