Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fingerlakes Rally - Watkins Glen Labor Day Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by vfost View Post
    I have been going to this rally since '08 and have never done the ride on the track. Has anyone here done it? I don't seem to find too much information on how it is run. Do they pace you? I would have to think they would so people don't go into the corners too hot and what not.
    I've never ridden my bike on the track but I raced 4 wheels there for about 20 years. It's a fast road course and yes they do pace you although some guys in the mid pack will slow up so they can get some speed up for a short while. The place is not designed for motorcycles but they'll go fast enough so to give you an idea of what it's like to go fast. You should do it, it's a wonderful track with a great history and it's nothing of what it looks like on TV.

Clay
    A possibility of a visit from a guy name Isaac..or parts of.. this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    A possibility of a visit from a guy name Isaac..or parts of.. this weekend?
    We won't know for a few more days.

I'm stuck babysitting my daughter's dog that weekend. How's that for an excuse? She and the grandkids have watched my dog, so it's my turn. Maybe I can make an appearance for a few hours. It's a short ride for me.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Smile Success

Looks as though I have a bunk arranged for the rally. See you there, creek not risin'.

Bank account says no, but what the heck, I'm checking the weather reports. So far it looks good...

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Bank account says no, but what the heck, I'm checking the weather reports. So far it looks good...
    Holly, why worry about a small detail like finances? Heck if governments don't why should we?

Regards, Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Seriously in debt right now, but what the heck. So far the weather is looking good. You and Dianne going to be there?

Don't shoot the messenger

As a fairly new member to the Fingerlakes BMW club, I'll take a stab at answering a few questions.

Is there a day pass available? YES! ( http://fingerlakesbmw.org/rally/fldaypass.php )

Track Ride: Many years ago they did race bikes at Watkins Glen, however there is not enough run off for bikes so they stopped. That said the ride is three laps following a leader. Yes you can hang back and get some speed, but there is also a tail rider (and no passing allowed). That being said this is not a track day event!

Current Weather forecast: It will be in the low 80's during the day and a low in upper 50's at night. Friday is the exception with a high in low 90s. Remnants of Issac are not being called for until Monday, and that's after it proceeds up through an extremely dry part of the country.

Daytime cooling off? Take a ride to Seneca lake or one of the many nearby waterfalls: http://www.watkinsglenchamber.com/Ho...aterfalls.aspx
    Last edited by drubery; 08-29-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Incorrect information provided, my apologies.
    2013 BMW K1600GT - Montego Blue Metallic
    2007 BMW K1200GT - Graphite (traded)
    2004 R1150RS - Pacific Blue (sold )
    Dennis BMWMOA 150423 FingerLakes BMW Club 396 IBA 50178

Ute's Chauffeur
    Have they changed the day pass option? It was never advertised but I have never attended any other way.

Ah, There IS a day pass!

I stand corrected:

http://fingerlakesbmw.org/rally/fldaypass.php

Not sure how I missed this. My apologies for the misinformation.

-Dennis
    2013 BMW K1600GT - Montego Blue Metallic
    2007 BMW K1200GT - Graphite (traded)
    2004 R1150RS - Pacific Blue (sold )
    Dennis BMWMOA 150423 FingerLakes BMW Club 396 IBA 50178

North Coast, Ohio
    A few of us are coming over from Cleveland Ohio, see you Friday late afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Seriously in debt right now, but what the heck. So far the weather is looking good. You and Dianne going to be there?
    Hi Holly, weather looks good so if I fix my bike on time, yes Diann and I will be there....Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Get it fixed, Rod!! Or you will have to send Diann by herself on her bike...tee hee!!!
    Tonya
    2007 F800ST - Lovin' it!!

Withdrew some US$ from the bank account today. Just cancelled the weekend papers. Now I just have to get some work done and start packing...

Drubery, now I feel old since I remember clearly the motorcycle races at Watkin's Glen. Definitely agree with the waterfalls tour. It is amazing.

Holly

In!