• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

So I bought an IPhone

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Yeah, I bought an IPhone. It replaces a Casio that worked real well but I thought it would be convenient to have internet on the go. It seems to have some neat features like the compass and as an old map and compass guy, I kinda like that.
If you have one, like it and have some tips, apps, or anything else that might help in the IPhone operation....let's hear it. OM

if you don't have one and hate all this kind of thing, it's OK if you skip this.

I mostly use it for mail, news, and WX. Also to check bank balances, maps, and customer records.

Mapquest. :thumb

It has voice navigation, unlike Google Maps. Very handy.

Weatherbug Pro is also a great app.

So far, the first glitch was incomplete activation....been around long enough to know to try and make a call before leaving the store parking lot. Second is e-mail won't work. I suspect it's a port issue so it's back to the store....:banghead

I use it for many things. But since this is BMW forum, a great "buy" app, is BMW Moto Envi. It is a lot fun on the old and new BMW bikes.

Also, if you have the on call service, they have a Roadside App that is very helpful.

Navigon

Navigon navigation by Garmin. Get a RAM ball mount and their universal spring thingie for the iPhone and you have a complete nav system. Add Bluetooth paring to your helmet comm system and you have turn by turn voice directions. Music and radio also if your comm system supports the audio device in the iPhone. SMH10 does.

Also add a BMW plug to iPhone adapter for charging on the go.

Caution the iPhone is NOT weather proof.

iphone congrats

take it back know before it becomes part of your hand :) I love mine and have a mount on my RT where I use it as a 2nd GPS, listen to Pandora, and have it connected to my bluetooth helmet.

Yeah, people seem to love 'em, once they get used to 'em. E-mail is fixed, the little devil seems to eat the battery although I have been using it rather hard trying to get it set up.
Weatherbug Pro is also a great app.
Weather and Pandora are a primary interest (radar music) so I'll have to check it out.

Location services are battery hogs.

Radarscope is my go-to weather app. Wundermap from weather underground is also sweet.

AP, USA Today, and BBC are good for news.

AroundMe is nice for finding various resources on the road. GasBuddy will get you nearby gas prices.

Location services are battery hogs.
That makes sense Tom, not sure how many are in it. It came with a weather that just gives the temp but I'm guessing that may qualify as a batt hog.

Radarscope is my go-to weather app. Wundermap from weather underground is also sweet.

AP, USA Today, and BBC are good for news.

AroundMe is nice for finding various resources on the road. GasBuddy will get you nearby gas prices.
Are those free or an app store (I-Tunes) kinda deal? There seems to be a bunch of 'em. I think I've seen weather bug and weather,com...I'll have to check the ones you mentioned :thumb

The iTunes store has good search functionality and lists top paid and free apps by category. Each app also has a description and user rating.

Don't download Angry Birds if you value your time. :stick

Do not cross into Canada with the phone set to roam on data. Gets very expensive very quickly. I learned the expensive way.

If you want to keep track of your mileage, gas expensesetc, get Gas Cubby. I use sponsored mode for free - the ads don't bother me.

Yeah, I bought an IPhone. It replaces a Casio that worked real well but I thought it would be convenient to have internet on the go. It seems to have some neat features like the compass and as an old map and compass guy, I kinda like that.
If you have one, like it and have some tips, apps, or anything else that might help in the IPhone operation....let's hear it. OM

if you don't have one and hate all this kind of thing, it's OK if you skip this.

Awesome! You're becoming more tech savvy.... :D

So far, the first glitch was incomplete activation....been around long enough to know to try and make a call before leaving the store parking lot. Second is e-mail won't work. I suspect it's a port issue so it's back to the store....:banghead

I'll be glad to help with the e-mail problem. I can help walk you through on setting it up... let me know... feel free to e-mail me.

Pretty good camera and you can photo stream to your computer. I use mine to listen to music (over 3,000 songs on my iTunes library) via BT to my helmet. Maps, weather, Pandora Radio, and on and on. I do use the compass but the "Height Finder" altimeter is kind of fun -- cool to know your elevation. The flashlight works well also.

I always have a book going on my iPad and it syncs to the phone so if I go to iBooks on either devices they are on the same page. I also have a couple of news apps that I check every morning. Siri is also pretty cool, but in my experience is more of a toy than a hugely usable feature. BTW, I have 3 different e-mail accounts all going to the iPhone and it works great if you get the bugs worked out. Good Luck.

Back