• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So I bought an IPhone

Are you making sure the phone plugged in to the computer before opening iTunes? the device should be there. If not, not sure if have maybe a glitch in iTunes and have to delete and restore parts of itunes... you should have 90 day free tech support for them to walk you through... the Apple Care plus does wonders but have to buy it before 30 days.....

Well as I plod along with this, my PC sees the IPhone as a camera-nothing else. I've run through a whole host of things and it would appear that the IPhone does not appear in the "device manager" part of the PC. I therefore theorize that without a "driver" to support the IPhone there is no integration/connection between the two :banghead Interestingly enough, if I go to ITunes from the IPhone it recognizes me and the half dozen songs that I have purchased- complete with the list.
Perhaps to go back to the screen where I "registered" the IPod and add the IPhone would do it. I don't know where that is. From the get-go it seemed that ITunes was a bit clunky (I don't use it much) and a drop box to add another Apple device seems to be what's needed. OM

Remove iTunes. (Control panel - add/remove software).

Reinstall iTunes.

That fixes the issue most of the time. Removing iTunes does not remove any of your content.

Remove iTunes. (Control panel - add/remove software).

Reinstall iTunes.

That fixes the issue most of the time. Removing iTunes does not remove any of your content.
Gonna force it to pay attention?? :brad Does that erase my playlists?

Don't know about play lists. I've only done it for friends and family and didn't pay attention to their playlist configuration. I didn't hear any complaints... but maybe that's because they don't use play lists. :dunno

Find the playlist and move them. Then uninstall iTunes and reinstall.

Windows should find the driver if you have a good i-net connection.

Sorry I'm late to this thread, but here goes...

Before I go further I suggest that you BUY APPLE CARE. I say it again: BUY APPLE CARE. Apple Care is, by far, the best customer service I've experienced. That said...

I love the iPhone. I currently use an iPhone 4, bought one year ago when I dove into the Gulf of Mexico with my iPhone 3GS in my pocket. I was a Windows/PC guy for decades looking down my nose at those childish people who preferred Macs. I preferred adult computers. But then, in November of 2009 I had to get a new phone and and after years of Nokias, I did a lot of research on smart phones, finally settling on an iPhone 3GS, which was my first Apple product. I now own an iPod (in my car plugged into the sound system), iPad, and a 15" MacBook Pro (purchased a year ago when my PC laptop died). I'm now an Apple guy with an Apple family.

Good luck, and let us know what you do!

Good post with lots of help. Thanks for the lengthy bit of prose ( so to speak).

All righty then... in a combination of things...there was no "device driver". With an Apple care number provided by bmwgsrider, I was on the phone with Apple.
I had done an up-date last week when ITunes asked me if I wanted to. I'm not sure if the up-date "took" or not as I've not had the problem of them not taking (any program). While on the phone a number of things were checked, lastly a new download of ITunes that didn't take.
All that sent me up to the next level-supervisor. This included an extraction of the old ITunes,(6 segments), locating the fresh download and executing the new ITunes.
With the new version installed, ITunes recognized the IPhone right away and I was off to do the registration that I had sorta expected from the get go.
It was explained that up-dates sometimes don't include drivers from the past-sometimes. Also it seemed that Quicktime is now a separate download.

The customer service was very nice on both the levels that I had to deal with and the rep on the second level had certainly done this "cure" before.
Hopefully the info in this thread will help others if they want to make a move towards Apple. OM

Glad you're back up and running, Gary. As a general rule, it's usually better to download a full package from Apple as if you're a new user and install that when it's time to update iTunes. The installer will save what needs to be saved and trash what doesn't. I have very little experience running itunes on windows, but this method is also useful on the Mac side of things from time to time.

Glad you're back up and running, Gary. As a general rule, it's usually better to download a full package from Apple as if you're a new user and install that when it's time to update iTunes. The installer will save what needs to be saved and trash what doesn't. I have very little experience running itunes on windows, but this method is also useful on the Mac side of things from time to time.

Can you please tell me what you mean by downloading a full package from Apple?

Sure, go to the Apple website, click on iTunes, and then click on download iTunes. All selections are at the top of the page.

As Gary discovered, sometimes the updates are problematic. Updates are reported by the Apple Update control panel in windows or software update utility on the macaroni.

Sure Anna, it would be as if I never had ITunes. The old one was removed from the computer and the new one added as if it was the first time.

Sure, go to the Apple website, click on iTunes, and then click on download iTunes. All selections are at the top of the page.

As Gary discovered, sometimes the updates are problematic. Updates are reported by the Apple Update control panel in windows or software update utility on the macaroni.

Interesting... I shall keep that in mind. I had Apple walk me through on reinstalling iTunes... they had me delete stuff in a certain order. I should start writing things down as they have me do stuff for future reference. Thanks.

If I could, I would suggest the LifeProof case, waterproof, dust proof, snow proof, much lighter then the Otter Box, a bit more $$, but IMHO well worth it. I've shot videos from inside a full beer glass with no problems. http://www.lifeproof.com/ I have no connection with LifeProof other than a very satisfied customer.

+1 on the Lifeproof case. I also purchased the mount adaptor that allows you to use GoPro mounts to attach your Lifeproof'd iPhone to your bike. In addition to the Lifeproof mount. I bought the GoPro "Grab Bag" at Walmart for $20. I'll take a pic and it to this post.

Total cost was approx $100:
Lifeproof iPhone case $50 on Amazon.com
Adaptor (link below) $30
GoPro Grab Bag $20 @ Walmart

Here's the link to the Lifeproof adaptor I bought. http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/accessories/mounts/lifeproof-adapter-for-gopro-mounts

For navigation I've recently stared using Waze its free like it so far. Only used it once.

+1 on the Lifeproof case. I also purchased the mount adaptor that allows you to use GoPro mounts to attach your Lifeproof'd iPhone to your bike. In addition to the Lifeproof mount. I bought the GoPro "Grab Bag" at Walmart for $20. I'll take a pic and it to this post.

Total cost was approx $100:
Lifeproof iPhone case $50 on Amazon.com
Adaptor (link below) $30
GoPro Grab Bag $20 @ Walmart

Here's the link to the Lifeproof adaptor I bought. http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/accessories/mounts/lifeproof-adapter-for-gopro-mounts

For navigation I've recently stared using Waze its free like it so far. Only used it once.
Helpful first post :thumb Welcome to the forum!

Glad I could help, and thanks! I've spent a lot of time nosing around the forum, but just recently became a MOA member.

Built in storage capacity

I'm considering an iphone along with a samsung. The samsung has a micro sd slot and it comes with 16gb of internal storage. It can be upgraded using the micro sd slot to 64gb.

The iphone has no micro sd slot so I'm wondering if 16gb would be adequate for a moderate user.

I would like some input from those familiar with iphone. Thanks

I'm considering an iphone along with a samsung. The samsung has a micro sd slot and it comes with 16gb of internal storage. It can be upgraded using the micro sd slot to 64gb.

The iphone has no micro sd slot so I'm wondering if 16gb would be adequate for a moderate user.

How much information do you plan to keep on phone such as pictures/videos, apps, and etc.? The operating system does take up some memory and each OS update. Some people 16GB adequate. I personally went with the most GB phone... I plan to keep it a while.

How much information do you plan to keep on phone such as pictures/videos, apps, and etc.? The operating system does take up some memory and each OS update. Some people 16GB adequate. I personally went with the most GB phone... I plan to keep it a while.

This being my first smartphone I don't really know for sure. Probably be using it when I'm on the bike more than any other time. A minimal amount of music downloads , I'll be taking some pictures as I travel about maybe even a video clip. I'll be using it for a GPS. Probably the maps will use the most storage but I don't know how much.

I'm just about out of space on my 32gb iPhone and 64gb iPad. Depends what you store. Lots of movies on the iPad, music on the phone.

I use the iPad for dumping the contents of the helmet cam so I can use the card again.

Back