• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

So I bought an IPhone

I've built dozens of pc's. Last one died a year ago and was not replaced. Running windows under emulation or directly to the apple hardware is a no brainier. One machine runs any software I want. If I run under emulation both windows and Mac stuff are backed up to time capsule without thinking bout it.

It's still easier and much more effective carrying the iPhone instead of a laptop.
I get web, email, texts, local info, maps, and a lot more, and it fits in my pocket (the Zumo takes care of telephone on the bike).

Last edited:
I've built dozens of pc's. Last one died a year ago and was not replaced. Running windows under emulation or directly to the apple hardware is a no brainier. One machine runs any software I want. If I run under emulation both windows and Mac stuff are backed up to time capsule without thinking bout it.

+1 :thumb

I run a MacBookPro with OS X, Win7, and Win XP in Fusion Virtual 4 Machines. Time Machine (backup) is a true set-and-forget backup solution. Time Capsule is even better!

I've tried carrying a 3G iPad or an Ultrabook, but I still find relying on the iPhone to be the best compromise of size and functionality. Waiting to replace my "ancient" iPhone 3Gs with the new iPhone out this month.

Seems like there is some sort of up-grade available to the operating system- has anyone done it....any differences? was it so big that it best be done through the computer (ITunes?) OM

Seems like there is some sort of up-grade available to the operating system- has anyone done it....any differences? was it so big that it best be done through the computer (ITunes?) OM

You want to upgrade iTunes first, then depending on your phone (I think i4 is the cutoff) you can and must update to iO6 before migrating to the i5 (if desired).
It's a large update, actually a full blown OS and firmware load. So it's not a fifteen minute procedure.
Yes, I would suggest you do it at your desk.

Interestingly enough, the up-date took 3 hours (via DSL computer link). When it first popped up as 3, I kinda thought it was like other download estimates but nope, 3 hours. Once the download was finished, there were some more gyrations, questions, and a couple of e-mails.
It's interesting that during the process, Apple, was trying to let me know what was going on. This is different than Microsoft which seems to be more of a "do this and like it" approach.
What this up-date will do for me :dunno As far as I can tell there is some sort of "passport" thing now and the phone pad is now white-rather than black. OM

I just did the update on my iPad and it did take a while, but went smoothly. I got the iPhone 5 on the 21st and after a few hours of use it feels just like the 4s in size and feel.

Yeah, the up-date. The changes seem to be rather subtle. One of the changes that I notice is that there is no longer notification of all wireless connections in the area- if the connections are "locked" they are ignored. I would guess that if you are used to where an "open" connection should be, it really doesn't matter.
Still can't stop hitting the wrong spot on the screen and sending off a half finished e-mail :banghead

About the flashlight......I have noticed people using the phone as a flashlight. This seemed to be a useful secondary usage but it's an App?. There are a bunch of them-some free and some for a small charge. Anybody using "the flashlight" App?
I don't get why Apple just doesn't offer it and what do those that offer it "free" get for their efforts :scratch OM

Anybody using "the flashlight" App?

I had one on the phone for a long time, but never used it. Some of the early ones just lit up the screen white, others use the flash LED.

In the early days of the app store, fart apps were all the rage for some bizarre reason.

All of our company techs use flashlight apps on smart phones (Apple, Android, BlackBerry). It really helps when you are in a dark spot installing devices in customer's homes.

All of our company techs use flashlight apps on smart phones (Apple, Android, BlackBerry). It really helps when you are in a dark spot installing devices in customer's homes.

Yeah, I'm a tech too, but prefer a real flashlight I can hold in my teeth.

Interestingly enough, an up-date to the latest software package has been made available. I'm thinking a few glitches fixes, no big deal.....looks like another 3 hours on the old DSL :eek

Not to beat a dead horse, but here are a couple more weather apps that I use as a pilot. Weather Bug Elite, and My Radar Pro. Also, Nav Clock is kinda cool, it also gives you your Lat/Long and elevation etc. Another cool app for looking up at the sky at night from the campsite (or your living room through the ceiling) is Night Sky. I was a PC guy up to about 2 months ago, now in my household we have 2 iPads, an iPad Mini, a iPhone 5 and a Mac Book Air. Hope the above info helps.....Glenn in Tucson.

>>an iPad Mini,<<

And how do you like the Mini? It's on my short list of wants right now. Do you find the "non retina" display to be all that different?

Tnx..RUT

Back