• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tent?

Hi Tom

I don't know if we have ever met at one of the YB event's, but if we have, you might have seen me some last year bring a tent with the wrong poles.... (yes, i have way too many tents).

Anyone, after one rally where my wife got tired of me having to cob something together; she decided that i needed a system for my tents/pole/ground-cloth dilemma. She had me set each one up with the corresponding pole set and ground cloth. Then on the bags that went with each of the above, she tied a matching ribbon. :hug Now i know that as long as i have three bags with the same ribbon color, that i will be all set once i get to the rally. :dance

I guess that there is something to be said for being organized. not that i have any idea as to how one goes about being that way..... :scratch

sdc

tent

I have a Eureka Tetragon 3 a older model and like it a lot. Bought the 3 so maybe 2 people and gear can go inside it, one person has lots of room.:thumb:thumb

I don't know if we have ever met at one of the YB event's, but if we have, you might have seen me some last year bring a tent with the wrong poles.... (yes, i have way too many tents).

Good idea about the color coding. I'm up to about 10 tents I think, but don't want to know exactly. And there is no way I'd put them all in one place for my wife to count! She's only vaguely aware of motorcycles in the driveway and she doesn't know how many of those either!

No, I haven't been to any YB events, but know many of those folks from other places.

Not alone!

Guees I'm alike with many here, tents stored all about the garage? Almost ready to start my own Sherpa Camp:). Visited REI yesterday and they were very limited to tents on hand in store, so guess on line shopping is key. Fair to them, is they do offer a LOT of online options and could not possibly carry that many tents in store. My pic was not there:(. Randy

Guees I'm alike with many here, tents stored all about the garage? Almost ready to start my own Sherpa Camp:). Visited REI yesterday and they were very limited to tents on hand in store, so guess on line shopping is key. Fair to them, is they do offer a LOT of online options and could not possibly carry that many tents in store. My pic was not there:(. Randy

I usually wait until the closeouts that happen sometime around January. Half price or less is very common, and with REI, they'll ship it to the store for free.

Still on fence!

I still shop and wait. Guess its a good thing to have this option:). My narrowed field is still the Kelty Gunnison 3 or maybe 4. AND, found the Eureka Mountain Pass 3xte, very neat idea. Both offer 2 doors, two vestibules, options I LIKE. 2 pole designs too, simple. The latter has a simple 3rd pole for fly use only. REI has end of season coming up, I watch in"tent"ly, no pun in"tent"ed...Am I bad:). Randy:thumb

I still shop and wait. Guess its a good thing to have this option:). My narrowed field is still the Kelty Gunnison 3 or maybe 4. AND, found the Eureka Mountain Pass 3xte, very neat idea. Both offer 2 doors, two vestibules, options I LIKE. 2 pole designs too, simple. The latter has a simple 3rd pole for fly use only. REI has end of season coming up, I watch in"tent"ly, no pun in"tent"ed...Am I bad:). Randy:thumb

Randy,

When you find out when REI has their tent sale, would you mind posting here in GEAR so I don't forget?

Thanks.

I'm also looking.

I have used a 4 person Timberline tent for lots of years. Started with just the two of us, then added a child and then the second. At that point it was too small. It has continued to serve as a great tent for the two of us or just me (but it is huge inside for just one) or on a trip when you were willing to share tent space with another. However it is now 32 yrs old and a bit worn. I still use it as a back up tent.

I replaced it with an MSR Velo tent. Great tent, two doors with a small boot size vesitbule on one side and the other is a vestibule as big as the two person tent is itself. It is a great tent to take when you are going to be moving around a little and might have to hang out in some bad weather yet don't want to take a larger tarp. The large vestibule is large enough to sit under, put all your gear under etc. The two doors makes it great to get into the tent via the small vestibule side. The size at 52 inches wide is workable for two folks. Each can then stick stuff in the gear loft or just outside the door on their side. Set up is a little longer as the three poles are slipped through sleeves and then fly is best staked out. For two people who know what is going on without a rush, 10 minutes. For one person 15.

I wanted a smaller tent for just me. I seriously looked around and had settled on the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1. 42 inches at shoulder, 30 at feet with a small vestibule and easy set up looked about right. When I was buying at REI with dividend and sale, they were not selling them (were up to a few months before and seem to be again). So I bought something else

I did buy the MSR Hubba Hubba two person. For a two person tent it would be tight at 50 inches. If I need two person space I have another tent. With that space it is spaciouis for 1. It works out very well. Not huge vestibules, but enough and with extra space inside, and two doors it is easy to have gear and such under one of the vestibules and still have the other availabe as entry / exit.
easy setup up and quality product. It is a good product.

As for REI sales and such. Call and ask. They will tell you.

NCS

I'll try:)

Keep this thread alive a while. REI does have end of year sellouts every year. My current Tadpole REI is about 25 years+ old now and I just packed it to Sedalia and back, solo journey. Its a simple one+ man unit and I cannot imagine a better made tent. It grows old however and still very usable, only the fly shows sun discolor. I will move to a bigger 3 man version of something, BUT simple setup is paramount. I am not into tent archetecture schemes and many are this. The single wall "Black Diamonds and Biblers" are something few talk about and maybe rightly so, as they are PRICEY at near twice the cost. Randy

Whichever brand you look at, you need to start with a list of features you really want. High on the list for me are sturdy aluminum poles, tent doors that have a zip-open interior lining so the tent can be left screened in from bugs yet allow a breeze through, and a zip-out roof liner so I can have a mesh roof in warm weather yet close the tent in during cold weather. I've used REI in the past, my old GeoDome had some of the above features and lasted a long time, but it seems like so many of their tents now have mesh-only roofs and they are COLD for spring or fall camping.

My current favorite tent is a Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 3. Very sturdy and roomy, and only slightly larger pack size than the two-man version I had before. The increased headroom is nice, too. Mountain Hardwear stuff is very well-made and durable, have had great results with them over the years. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer, etc. etc. etc.

Best,

GTRider

Cabela's XPG Deluxe

I have the Cabela's XPG Deluxe 4 person tent and it is the best tent I've ever had. It is really easy to put up and take down and is very roomy for me and all of my gear. I have been in a few heavy rain storms with this tent and it has never leaked. I took it out on the road for 10 days a couple of years ago when I first got it and it performed beautifully. If you watch Cabela's closely you might also catch them at a time when these are on sale like I did. They also make a lighter, smaller version that is the regular XPG, but I'm quite happy with this one. Good luck with your choice.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...t=xpg+deluxe&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Well, I'll pile on with another vote for Cabelas XPG 3. Bought this with Cabelas points on sale a few years ago and couldn't be happier with the function/quality. The huge mesh area made a nice difference with Sedali's heat this year.

I knew about the small trade-offs before I bought it...smaller vestibules and no second door. I use it solo so not a big deal for me. Haven't had it in any serious wind/weather but other reviews have been very positive.

It's really great to have the huge variety of quality tents to choose from out there...this is one of them.

REI Labor Day sale starts 8/24 thru 9/3 Also check their online clearance store for more savings.

Keep an eye on Sierratradingpost.com . They are a little like the big lots of sporting goods. They do have some great deals when you know your specific need.

NCS

Cabelas XPG 4, had for 8 years. Love it. It goes on scouting campouts, motorcycle camping & ralleys, family camping.

Attachments

• dells tent2.jpg
    dells tent2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 870
I have an Apache Instant Tent by ATUFFY. It's a four person, nine foot by seven foot, sixfoot two high. It's a great tent,but the tent poles are built into the tent,so it packs kinda large(31"long by 8" round) they do make smaller sizes. If my wife goes along we take the sidecar rig(lottsa carrying cap.) When I go solo I put it across the passenger seat in a Kermit easy pack duffel (large):thumb

Quechau tents

Fast setup and take down are what is mostly important to me. The Quechau tent will set up in 3 seconds and can be taken down and packed away in 45 seconds. You don't even need to stake it down or use the guy lines if you don't want to. There are numerous models and sizes. The only issue I see is carrying it on the bike. I have seen some pics of bike setups that are pretty cool. Purportedly this is what almost everyone at the Dakar event use. These are from a French company, but made in China . : (

Here is a vid of the setup and take down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjQV-bECkbk&feature=relmfu

Back