• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The new BMW HP4. | The S 1000RR on Steroids comes to the streets

mika

Still Wondering

With the BMW HP4, BMW Motorrad presents the lightest 4-cylinder supersports bike in the 1000cc class to date. Based on the BMW S 1000 RR - or RR for short - the new sports motorcycle has an output of 142*kW (193*hp) and weighs just 199 kilos including Race ABS and with a 90% full fuel tank (169 kg dry weight with Race ABS).

The new BMW HP4 sees its world premiere in 2012 and is a continuation of BMW Motorrad's HP model series founded in 2005. After the boxer models HP2*Enduro, HP2*Megamoto and HP2*Sport, the BMW*HP4 is the first 4-cylinder motorcycle in the HP family.

The HP label stands for high performance, and the HP4 once again embodies outstanding agility, power and riding dynamics. But it also reflects the use of extremely high-quality materials and intelligent technology, carefully conceived down to the last detail. In short, the HP4 stands for perfectly controllable power and sporty perfection.

BMW High Performance motorcycles are truly outstanding: exclusive and authentic, they will always remain relatively rare. This applies equally to the new BMW HP4. Each motorcycle is issued with its own HP4 serial number which is engraved indelibly in the upper fork bridge.

A genuine highlight: due to its extensive range of fittings and excellent set-up, the new HP4 is immediately ready for use on the race track ex works, requiring no elaborate modifications. But at the same time it offers great potential for dynamic riding on country roads. Still, the HP4 is entirely uncompromising, combining athletic flair and riding dynamics at the very highest level - to an even greater extent than the S 1000 RR.

The new HP4 - exclusive performance based on the S 1000 RR.

Since its international press presentation in autumn 2009, the S*1000*RR has sped from one triumph to the next - and not just in motorcycle magazine comparative tests. This is clear evidence of the qualities and the consistency of the supersports concept. Fitted with Race ABS and Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), the RR set a new benchmark in this hotly competed and technologically highly sophisticated segment. But even the S 1000 RR left some room for improvement.

Technical innovations for enhanced sports performance.

The HP4 provides the homologation basis for the use of BMW motorcycles in motorcycle racing, especially in the superbike and superstock category. The new model features numerous technological innovations which highlight its orientation towards racing and the race track. The standard passenger seat cover ensures the monoposto look so characteristic of the race track. But for riders who would like to travel with a passenger, BMW Motorrad also offers a passenger package as an ex works option. In addition to the passenger seat this includes the passenger footrest system.

Dynamic Damping Control DDC - a world first in serial motorcycles construction.

The new HP4 reflects its status as a high-performance motorcycle in terms of its suspension system with a world first for serial production motorcycles: it is fitted as standard with Dynamic Damping Control DDC. This system allows dynamic damping adaptation of the upside-down fork and spring strut to the specific situation on the road. The damping is adapted to the current manoeuvre or road surface by means of sensor-supplied parameters via electrically controlled regulation valves. In this way, the HP4 offers optimum damping in every situation, handling long and short shocks virtually perfectly so as to provide maximum traction and safety.

Higher performance brake system and Race ABS with IDM setting for maximum brake performance.

With the introduction of Race ABS in the S*1000*RR, BMW Motorrad underscored its pioneering role in the area of ABS. For the first time ever, an antilock brake system was consistently tailored to sporty needs.

With the new race-oriented HP4, BMW Motorrad now takes the next step in this area. In keeping with the HP4 use profile of race track and dynamic country road riding, the new bike not only has Brembo monoblock brake calipers and 9x floating brake discs at the front but also a further developed and refined Race ABS.

As before, this ABS has four different modes for wet surfaces ("Rain"), roads ("Sport"), race track with supersports tyres ("Race") and race track with slicks ("Slick"). Racing experience gained from the IDM (International German Motorcycle Championship) has been fed directly into the Race ABS fitted in the HP4. In "Slick" mode, the so-called IDM setting with refined regulation impulses now gives the skilled rider the option of maximum possible deceleration.

New 200/55 ZR 17 tyres on the rear wheel and finely adjustable Dynamic Traction Control in "Slick" mode.

The HP4 uses a rear tyre in the new format 200/55*ZR*17. The Dynamic Traction Control DTC already used in the RR has been optimized for supersports use in the HP4: now the effect of traction control can be adapted in "Slick" mode to changing conditions and the rider's individual preference while on the move.

Launch Control for perfect starts and shift assistant for optimum gearshifts.

The HP4 is the first BMW motorcycle to have a so-called Launch Control function which provides active support for the rider in "Slick" mode to achieve maximum acceleration from standing - for example on race starts. Launch Control limits engine torque so as to provide the maximum torque transferable from the rear wheel whenever the front wheel is under no throttle. This means the rider has to focus less on the throttle because he is controlling acceleration solely using the clutch. In addition, when Launch Control is activated engine torque is reduced as soon as the system detects front wheel lift. This prevents unwanted wheelies when accelerating.

The HP4 allows the rider to make instant gearshifts with virtually no interruption of tractive force by means of the shift assistant, fitted as standard. This helps gain valuable fractions of a second on the race track, too.

Weight reduction due to forged wheels, lighter sprocket carrier, titanium exhaust system and lighter battery.

New finely wrought 7-spoke wheels in forged light alloy and a new, lighter sprocket carrier give the HP4 a weight reduction of 2.4 kg as compared to the RR.

The exhaust system is made entirely of titanium and saves as much as 4.5 kilograms as compared to the RR, thereby contributing to the HP4's enhanced handling qualities. The new exhaust system has an interference pipe between cylinders two and three, a controlled acoustic valve and a closed-loop catalytic converter. It has been possible to optimise the torque curve thanks to the new exhaust system, with the engine application adapted accordingly.

Sharpened engine set-up and more torque in the mid-range.

The new HP4 is fitted with the water-cooled 4-cylinder in-line engine of the S1000RR with a peak output of 142kW (193hp) at 13,000 rpm and a maximum engine speed of 14,200rpm. As in the RR, its maximum torque of 112Nm goes on stream at 9,750 rpm. The torque has been perceptibly increased in the 6,000rpm to 9,750 rpm range. In "Rain" mode there is now a smoother output and torque curve available between 2,500 rpm and 8,000 rpm.

Unlike the RR, the 4-cylinder in-line engine in the HP4 provides the full output of 142 kW (193 bhp) at 13,000 rpm in all modes - "Rain", "Sport", "Race" and "Slick" - with an identical throttle curve and thus the same response, making it perfect for use on the race track.

Supersports fittings for sporty riders.

The HP4 has numerous special features to meet the needs of sports and racing riders. For example, the instrument cluster not only has a newly designed dial face with HP4 inscription but also provides an extended range*
of information and functions. The information display now shows the*
DDC set-up menus as well as the figures for DTC fine adjustment and*
Launch Control activation.

In visual terms, too, the new HP4 is consistently in line with supersports aspirations for the race track and for dynamic country road riding. In addition to the monoposto look there is a dual-section engine spoiler - elongated as compared to the RR - and a tinted windshield, both of which highlight the increased dynamic performance of the HP4. The small, light LED turn indicators are discreetly integrated and the laser-engraved HP4 logo with serial number on the upper fork bridge underscores the bike's exclusive character. An elaborate multiple colour paint finish in Racing blue metallic/Light white creates an appropriate racing-oriented appearance.

HP4 with Competition Package – top-level exclusive flair due to use of the very finest materials.

For anyone who wants even more than the functional sophistication and extreme riding dynamics of the HP4, the HP4 with Competition Package is an especially exclusive version of the motorcycle. Refined HP carbon parts including a long, closed HP engine spoiler in carbon, an adjustable HP rider footrest system, folding HP brake and clutch levers, wheels finished in*
Racing blue metallic and a sponsor sticker kit provide additional enhancement of the new HP4.

A summary of the HP4 technical highlights:
Fork bridge with engraved number and HP4 logo.
Lightest 1000 supersports bike with four cylinders: 199 kg*
(90% DIN unladen weight).
Innovative suspension with Dynamic Damping Control DDC.
Race ABS with IDM setting.
Dynamic Traction Control DTC with fine adjustment in "Slick" mode.
Launch Control.
Adapted wheelie detection.
New rear wheel tyres, 200/55 ZR 17.
Shift assistant as standard.
Light titanium exhaust system with controlled acoustic valve and interference pipe.
Forged light alloy wheels, anodised in black.
Radial monoblock brake calipers by Brembo with special brake pads.
9x floating brake discs at front.
Extended, dual-section engine spoiler.
Seat in monoposto look with passenger seat cover.
LED turn indicators.
Tinted windshield.
Lighter 7 Ah battery.
Performance-oriented engine set-up.
Increased torque in the medium engine speed range.

HP4 with Competition Package:
Long, closed engine spoiler made of carbon.
Sponsor sticker kit included.
Wheels in Racing blue metallic.
HP Carbon badge carrier.
HP Carbon tank cover.
HP brake lever, hinged.
HP clutch lever, hinged.
HP rider footrest system, adjustable.

i-gN2BLkD-L.jpg

i-TnhncC6-L.jpg

i-M4DHZ2v-L.jpg

i-fvQZqcQ-L.jpg

i-SFMpGVn-L.jpg

i-zv7Mg5F-L.jpg

i-VgN974L-L.jpg

i-tVM9MZd-L.jpg

i-gczwFRq-L.jpg

i-ZG2zR5G-L.jpg

i-ckfTffn-L.jpg

i-jW2kZP5-L.jpg

i-cqxxmGW-L.jpg

i-nLp5CHZ-L.jpg

i-zwtpgvt-L.jpg

And today, 7/28/12, BMW Italia boss (will run the Factory WSBK team in '13) is quoted as saying Ben Spies is 99% signed to ride the S1000RR in 2013.

And today, 7/28/12, BMW Italia boss (will run the Factory WSBK team in '13) is quoted as saying Ben Spies is 99% signed to ride the S1000RR in 2013.

Really? That would be awesome!
What's the price of this new BMW?
No, I don't have the cash so I should not ask.....:bottle

Really? That would be awesome!
What's the price of this new BMW?
No, I don't have the cash so I should not ask.....:bottle

GPone.com, a normally good source of information, is reporting BMW and Spies are close to a deal. Look for an announcement when SBK takes the stage next weekend or shortly after that.

I haven't seen a price on the HP4. I feel your pain, I don't have any money either no matter what the price is.

A Neat BMW Limited Edition...

But if the HP2 was any indicator, I'll bet it comes in at 25K or so.

Take a 'stock' S1000RR (haha, sure doesn't feel like it) and add the following:

16.5K base Price

2.8K BST CF Wheels (major unsprung weight loss here)

Akropovic Full Race Exhaust 1.2K with carbon fiber instead of Titanium Can (-10lbs at least and no catalytic)

De Rigeur K+N Filter

Bazzaz Fuel Mapping Box 0.3K

If you really want to lose weight, ballistic battery, fiberglas tank, lightweight bodywork, etc.... you can go down this road forever.

Etc...

It will be an awesome looker like the HP2 and highly desirable, but I'll bet some garage and dyno time could exceed it's performance for less dough. Won't have the unobtanium factor, though...

Heck, the darn thing already feels like a bittly little 600.

Now a new HP2 with the new liquid cooled boxer engine and high performance tune would be pretty spiff....

:laugh

Factory HP4 or your own spiffed up S1000RR if you need to ask about $ your wallet is way to thin.

A WasserBox HP2 Sport would be cool; however, what I would lust for would be a single in HP Sport trim.

But if the HP2 was any indicator, I'll bet it comes in at 25K or so.

Man, the HP2 Enduro was $21k and you paid for what you *didn't* get. :ha

No ABS, no creature comforts (well, heated grips were 500 freakin' dollars), no fuel capacity, no center stand, no luggage and most importantly... no weight.

If the RR is $25k, I'd say people are getting their money's worth! :nod

The photos don't do justice to how "chrome" the blue paint on wheels and body looks. It's very cool.

Back